would random generated planets be possible?!?

10 hours ago, JoaquinJAR said:

would randomly generated planets be possible? 

i didnt put this onto dev suggestions as i dont know how hard would it be to add this.

Everything not logically impossible is possible.  Models of randomly-generated planets and solar systems are not logically impossible, therefore they are possible.  It's called No Man's Sky.

Thing is, "randomly generated planets" doesn't go very far to say what you really want - interstellar would take centuries to reach or destroy the physics KSP has, random would mean no common sharing of designs/dV information, etc.  Lots to think about before anything is actually introduced to a game or mod.

4 hours ago, Pecan said:

Everything not logically impossible is possible.  Models of randomly-generated planets and solar systems are not logically impossible, therefore they are possible.  It's called No Man's Sky.

Thing is, "randomly generated planets" doesn't go very far to say what you really want - interstellar would take centuries to reach or destroy the physics KSP has, random would mean no common sharing of designs/dV information, etc.  Lots to think about before anything is actually introduced to a game or mod.

I think a random system generator could be a valuable addition. You don't necessarily have to have FTL travel or multiple star systems. Maybe people just want to play in a system that isn't stock.

Do it this way: You have the stock system that is the default system people can play in. Then you have a random system generator that works off of a seed number. If people want to share systems for whatever reason, like challenges or whatnot, they simply share the seed number. "This challenge takes place in system number 10234534."

4 hours ago, TheSaint said:

I think a random system generator could be a valuable addition. You don't necessarily have to have FTL travel or multiple star systems. Maybe people just want to play in a system that isn't stock.

Do it this way: You have the stock system that is the default system people can play in. Then you have a random system generator that works off of a seed number. If people want to share systems for whatever reason, like challenges or whatnot, they simply share the seed number. "This challenge takes place in system number 10234534."

Minecraft 2: Space program lol

anyways i like the idea, but i would add the option to select the stock system, a stock system with random system generator and just a random system generator (obviously kerbin would be generated in every option) before starting a new game.

This would be a grate way to ward off the “stock solar system blues” where all the planets get kind of boring. Of course, the stock solar system should still be an option, so that beginners would not need to go through the trouble of calculating transfer windows, as well as that a stock solar system would have detailed tutorials on how to reach milestones like the min, duna, etc.

Of course, I am certain that this would never be added to the game as it is now, but it could be a feature in a ksp sequel or something like that. (That’s probably not going to happen).

The short answer is of course its possible. The deeper question is would the result really be worth it?  To Pecan's point we would lose the common experience and resource of fellow players tackling a similar set of challenges. This is easily overlooked, but is a really important part of building common community resources that make the game surmountable. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

On 12/11/2018 at 5:09 AM, TheSaint said:

If you also had a fog of exploration system you wouldn’t need do all computation for the system at the start. The act of observation could create the terrain as you go. 

Yes it would be valuable but would in be valuable enough. You’d have to be about to have different systems per save game. Which might open up other useful things but could be massive work. 

Id certainly pay for it as DLC. 

As many already wrote, certainly it would be possible if devs wanted it. But practically it would be extremely laborious work and change the nature of the game significantly towards real exploring. Entertaining exploration of planet sized objects would probably be very hard to balance. I would like to idea, but I think most of the players like more to have known world and devs have no motivation to it.

It would be excellent idea for a new game (not economically, though). Procedurally generated really 3D modeled planets, also non spherical, realistic gravity modeling between bodies and ships (i.e. no stable orbits) and much research and exploration on different conditions combined to KSP style ship building. It could be more severe engineering style quasirealistic game for engineers and tech students.

They can be made, but they won't be very good. It would be difficult to procedurally create planets which aren't several steps of noise stacked on each other. Same goes for the colour: They'd all end up very similar to Gilly in terms of colouring (bland, little variation) and terrain (simple mounds, no interesting terrain whatsoever). It would also take some time for the game to render the maps and apply them.

3 hours ago, Ub3rshadow said:

They can be made, but they won't be very good. It would be difficult to procedurally create planets which aren't several steps of noise stacked on each other. Same goes for the colour: They'd all end up very similar to Gilly in terms of colouring (bland, little variation) and terrain (simple mounds, no interesting terrain whatsoever). It would also take some time for the game to render the maps and apply them.

Do you have a background in making models / textures? Because i'm not sure they'd have to be bland or uninteresting.

If you had 10 base planet types (moons, rocky, water, ice, gas, etc), 10 basic terrain types (liquid, high/med/low plains, mountains, hills, etc), a couple dozen special features (volcanoes, canyons, fnords, lots of craters, etc) and a bunch of colors you could randomize those to create hundreds if not thousands of planets. They might not be super accurate high res planets, but I imagine they could at least match the fidelity of the stock planets...

Edited by Tyko

16 hours ago, Tyko said:

Do you have a background in making models / textures? Because i'm not sure they'd have to be bland or uninteresting.

If you had 10 base planet types (moons, rocky, water, ice, gas, etc), 10 basic terrain types (liquid, high/med/low plains, mountains, hills, etc), a couple dozen special features (volcanoes, canyons, fnords, lots of craters, etc) and a bunch of colors you could randomize those to create hundreds if not thousands of planets. They might not be super accurate high res planets, but I imagine they could at least match the fidelity of the stock planets...

I do have experience making planets and textures. With PQSMods you can't generate terrain like that. Same goes for colouring.

2 hours ago, Ub3rshadow said:

I do have experience making planets and textures. With PQSMods you can't generate terrain like that. Same goes for colouring.

I believe the OP was asking about Stock since Devs were mentioned. Does Stock use PQSMods or do they have other tools to created planets?

Edited by Tyko

57 minutes ago, Tyko said:

I believe the OP was asking about Stock since Devs were mentioned. Does Stock use PQSMods or do they have other tools to created planets?

Stock planets use the exact same  methods which any other planet mod does.  Search for Kittopia exports and you'll find some exported stock configs

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.