ISP question

Nich

wouldn't ISP decrease as throttle goes down? Especially for atmospheric engines at low altitude.  For vacuum engines is it possible for gas to be over expanded at the nozzle exit or would that require a nozzle that extends to infinity?

For real engine, ISP will, in fact, vary with throttle. And the max ISP is not necessarily at max throttle, either. I could probably list nearly a dozen factors that ISP generally depends on, and amount of fuel you inject into the chamber will impact, directly or indirectly, a third to a half of these.

I'm not sure if the impact of throttle position on ISP will be higher with or without an atmosphere. The fact that the bell for atmospheric operations is shorter might actually help reduce the impact, at least, in some throttle ranges. This will probably depend a lot on the engine design.

Ran into a site of a manufacturer of mini-monoprop engines for smallsats a while back. They had a throttle range for their engines listed and a performance loss at max throttle. (was somewhere around 5% loss).

Edit:

found the site: http://www.busek.com/technologies__greenmonoprop.htm

If you look at the second engine, it goes from 50 mn to 500 mn and the isp varies between 220 and 225.

Hm thinking about this... there is no clear indication this is related. Damn mind jumped to conclusions i guess.

Edited by hms_warrior

16 hours ago, K^2 said:

For real engine, ISP will, in fact, vary with throttle. And the max ISP is not necessarily at max throttle, either. I could probably list nearly a dozen factors that ISP generally depends on, and amount of fuel you inject into the chamber will impact, directly or indirectly, a third to a half of these.

But does this happen in ksp?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.