Impossible Parts Ideas

I have  few ideas. Coil guns for launches from all sorts of locations.

FTL communications (currently being investigated on earth)

Use of gravity waves

Stopping E.L.E from asteriods

Independently sustainable secondary habitats either space-stations or other planets

creation of Dyson Sphere

On 12/16/2018 at 8:47 PM, Missedtrashday said:

A bathysphere module with enough pressure tolerance and cable to be lowered into Jool’s upper atmosphere. Also it should sink in water on other bodies.

Jool_Atmosphere_T&P.png

Jool doesn't hit 1 atm (~10^5 Pa) until about 100km. Even zero altitude is only about 10 atm. I don't think that's past the stock crush pressure for all parts. I've flown spaceplanes down to 85 km.

Edited by FleshJeb
reduced image size

9 hours ago, FleshJeb said:

Jool doesn't hit 1 atm (~10^5 Pa) until about 100km. Even zero altitude is only about 10 atm. I don't think that's past the stock crush pressure for all parts. I've flown spaceplanes down to 85 km.

Awesome!  I didn’t realize that. I tried to probe Jool in sandbox a couple of times but I must have been doing something wrong because my satellite kept going to full heat bars and exploding instantly as soon as I touched the atmosphere. There was probably some kind of kraken bait on board that was contributing to that. Anyway, I just assumed that I couldn’t do anything there and never went back. Now I can try again with the knowledge that I should be able to get some better results. Thanks a million. 

33 minutes ago, Missedtrashday said:

Awesome!  I didn’t realize that. I tried to probe Jool in sandbox a couple of times but I must have been doing something wrong because my satellite kept going to full heat bars and exploding instantly as soon as I touched the atmosphere. There was probably some kind of kraken bait on board that was contributing to that. Anyway, I just assumed that I couldn’t do anything there and never went back. Now I can try again with the knowledge that I should be able to get some better results. Thanks a million. 

It wasn't the Kraken--You're moving really really fast, and the upper atmosphere is comparatively hot. Look at the temperature graph.

Rather than sidetracking this thread, feel free to PM for advice. I can answer tomorrow when I get off work.

Edited by FleshJeb

On 12/18/2018 at 1:24 PM, Tyko said:

I want reaction wheels that weigh almost nothing and can generate continuous force forever while using only tiny amounts of electricity.

...oh wait...never mind  :D 

You can have all this and more. But phoning home your report on what the shores look like from space will drain your battery dry.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.