A shortcut to lock brakes

Isn't there a new version coming ?

Don't we just love playing with shortcuts instead of clicking ?

Wouldn't it.... make sense ?

Read the title again ! 

Yes, let me ask you this question. Would a shortcut to toggle brakes be welcome ?

Would it be.... difficult to implement ?

Spam this topic to gain my unconditional love (did you see the irony here ?) !

21 minutes ago, mattinoz said:

It's a version quirk, we get quit from anywhere. Windows gets brakes that work.*

I hate to tell you but we can quit from anywhere too.

I'd love it if there was a way to turn brakes on full without clicking. Alt-B? Does that do anything? Can't do shift-B that would be like doing a burnout or something :D

8 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

The three buttons on the side of the altimeter correspond to toggling lights, gear, and brakes. By clicking the brakes button, it toggles and holds the brakes until you press B or click the button again to disable it.

I know clicks

8 hours ago, razark said:

But the OP explicitly said it wanted a key, not to click.

Give this Kerbal a cookie

8 hours ago, OHara said:

Another workaround

hold- B  
escape (to pause)
release B
escape (to un-pause)

alt-B (generally, mod-B) would be nice and fit the KSP pattern reasonably well

I know about this but it's so barbaric ! Something like Alt B or a configurable key.

Edited by Challyss

40 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

2p1n5v.jpg

Hide contents

*cough* In case that wasn't enough of a hint, you can assign the brakes on any wheels to any of the custom action groups, and it will toggle them on/off.

But what if its an Science ISRU SSTA with Radiators and Landing Gear as legs? Just to use all the functions on the craft will require all the stock action groups, then where can I get my permabrake?

I honestly think that it should be a toggle rather than a lever.

50 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

*cough* In case that wasn't enough of a hint, you can assign the brakes on any wheels to any of the custom action groups, and it will toggle them on/off.

As the original author of a mod that specifically circumvented the entire action group paradigm due to the fact that I kept forgetting to assign them in the VAB (and didn't like the mods that allowed assigning them in flight) this is as useful as mentioning after jumping out of the plane that I could have put on a parachute.

Also, it's super clunky and prone to forgetting SOME wheels but not all of them. Just having a key (combo) is far better.

Edited by 5thHorseman

18 minutes ago, Xurkitree said:

But what if its an Science ISRU SSTA with Radiators and Landing Gear as legs? Just to use all the functions on the craft will require all the stock action groups, then where can I get my permabrake?

I honestly think that it should be a toggle rather than a lever.

There are 10 custom action groups, more with mods; I'm sure you can spare one of those for the brakes *if* having a keyboard toggle is so important to you. If it isn't, just use the UI button provided.

11 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

As the original author of a mod that specifically circumvented the entire action group paradigm due to the fact that I kept forgetting to assign them in the VAB (and didn't like the mods that allowed assigning them in flight) this is as useful as mentioning after jumping out of the plane that I could have put on a parachute.

Also, it's super clunky and prone to forgetting SOME wheels but not all of them. Just having a key (combo) is far better.

Well, yeah; it could be better of course, most things could lol. It is an available stock solution to the OP's problem though. He asked for a keyboard toggle for brakes, and I gave him one! Please though, hold your applause and remember to tip your waitress!

Mostly on topic here:

A rather curious thing is that I can't see any difference between the brakes group and the other two UI toggle groups in the .cfg, yet for some reason the brakes group needs to be held down when using the keyboard.

LANDING_GEAR
{
    primary = G
    secondary = JoystickButton9
    group = 0
    modeMask = -1
    modeMaskSec = -1
}
HEADLIGHT_TOGGLE
{
    primary = U
    secondary = None
    group = 0
    modeMask = -1
    modeMaskSec = -1
}
BRAKES
{
    primary = B
    secondary = Mouse3
    group = 0
    modeMask = -1
    modeMaskSec = -1

I wonder if there is any way to get it to work as a toggle on the keyboard via "B" by mucking with this?

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

Nobody uses abort on rovers anyways....

Fixed that for you :D

Before All Y'All (the mod not you all here in this thread) Abort was frequently my "open all solar panels" action group. And recently I've started actually setting it up as I'm trying out that whole no-revert thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm definitely in favour of this as a stock thing - but for now there is a mod for that (check DoubleTapBrakes in my sig).

Incidentally - I'm 99% sure this used to be a stock thing, I swear I remember that double tabbing "B" in earlier versions would lock the parking brake (I'm talking ancient versions here, 0.18 or so) - I actually found a little "bug" when coding DoubleTapBrakes - at first I tried to use the function that was "double tap key down" and it wouldn't work, then I tried "double tap key up" and it did.

I wonder if that function is still there, but coded to "key down" which is why it doesn't work (maybe due to an obscure stock bug)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.