I reckon this game will appeal to more than a few on this forum.

Klapaucius

20 hours ago, LordFerret said:

Is the goal that you are forced to pay reparations at the end?

I suppose there's a good reason why it's only a game.

Spoiler

unknown.png

Kind of why KSP is a game and you don't (well, didn't for some) ever have to care about engine vibration, ignition; or food, life support, repairs & supplies...

EDIT : Though, as an actual criticism, wouldn't a 3D first-person Factorio be too much micromanagement ?

Edited by YNM

6 hours ago, LordFerret said:

Interesting.  In real life, those of Western Culture are hated for doing exactly this.  Now it's a game.  Is the goal that you are forced to pay reparations at the end?

It's fairly obvious that you're the bad guy in Factorio. Your factory poisons the land and the air. The natives, once peaceful, try to defend themselves, becoming more and more desperate as your blight grows and even going so far as to mutate their own bodies into weapons.

16 hours ago, LordFerret said:

Interesting.  In real life, those of Western Culture are hated for doing exactly this.  Now it's a game.  Is the goal that you are forced to pay reparations at the end?

Yeah, actually I cringed when they went and just chainsawed all the trees.

39 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

Yeah, actually I cringed when they went and just chainsawed all the trees.

Never play Factorio. Chopping trees is too slow. Early on, it's best to just throw hand grenades into groups of trees to blow them up. Later on, poison capsules are the way to go. Eventually you can just mark them for clearcutting and let your robots do it without you even being there.

25 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Never play Factorio. Chopping trees is too slow. Early on, it's best to just throw hand grenades into groups of trees to blow them up. Later on, poison capsules are the way to go. Eventually you can just mark them for clearcutting and let your robots do it without you even being there.

There's a little animation I've wanted to do for a while now, composed of three short clips. The first is a man with a felling axe chopping a tree down. The second is a man with a chainsaw doing the same.

The third is a swarm of flying robots, little more than turbines with claws, uprooting the entire forest wholesale before carrying the trees off over the horizon.

5 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

[...]

The third is a swarm of flying robots, little more than turbines with claws, uprooting the entire forest wholesale before carrying the trees off over the horizon.

Pretty hard thing to do, since trees are all different, your little drones should be able to calculate the center of mass on the fly for each object they're going to tow :D

39 minutes ago, Woodsielord said:

trees are all different, your little drones should be able to calculate the center of mass on the fly for each object

Plus tree roots can be as deep as the tree is tall.

10 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

You forgot the part where you burn the wood in trains that drive in circles for no purpose but to use up your massive backlog of wood.

I've always preferred flamethrower then shotgun to remove the trees before bots.

9 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

You forgot the part where you burn the wood in trains that drive in circles for no purpose but to use up your massive backlog of wood.

Hey, that's a great idea! Mostly I just used a requester chest that forcibly mixed wood into the boiler fuel supply whenever available. You can use chemical boilers to preheat steam for your heat exchangers as well, by the way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.