Jool 5 tips?

1 hour ago, Duck McFuddle said:

So I kind of want to attempt a Jool 5 mission. I don't know alot about how you should go about this, so are there any tips or tricks people could share to make this a bit easier?

you might want to start by reading up on the Jool 5 challenges. The current one is below, but there are others as well and the basic techniques won't have changed. You can also ask questions in those forums since many people reading them are either working on the challenge themselves or have already succeeded

Just a reminder if you want to refuel at some point:

Dont dock anything to your vessel which had been launched before you accepted the contract. Not sure if the bug is still present, but KSP may assume your vessel was entirely build before...

(Confirmation anyone?)

Edit: NERVs are your friend

Edited by Draalo

Its better to go for a mothership +  lander with ISRU design rather than an unrefueled or SSTA lander because its more flexible and forgiving. 

If you're good enough, you can use Gravity Assists a lot in this mission to save DV.

Don't do anything crazy ok.

Believe in yourself, a Jool 5 craft doesnt have to be big, except if you're planning to go with a "Fathership" (a ship that doesnt drop child landers), i can guarantee that the mass would exceed 5000 tons in total, maybe lower if you use NERVA, hyperedit is your best friend (for testing light landers).

• A Tylo or Laythe gravity assist to capture at the Jool system saves a bunch of dV
  • You can use the same lander design for Vall, Bop and Pol
  • In fact, with a little refuelling, you can use the same lander for Vall, Bop and Pol
  • For maximum mass reduction and part re-use the ascent stage of the Tylo lander can also be used as the Vall, Bop, and Pol lander

15 hours ago, GRS said:

Believe in yourself, a Jool 5 craft doesnt have to be big, except if you're planning to go with a "Fathership" (a ship that doesnt drop child landers), i can guarantee that the mass would exceed 5000 tons in total, maybe lower if you use NERVA, hyperedit is your best friend (for testing light landers).

Well, to be honest, the things that are taking up the most time are the landers. I need to have enough DeltaV, I need to have all of the mining equipment, I need to have all the things required to land... And I really doubt I could do a fathership. 

14 minutes ago, Duck McFuddle said:

Well, to be honest, the things that are taking up the most time are the landers. I need to have enough DeltaV, I need to have all of the mining equipment, I need to have all the things required to land... And I really doubt I could do a fathership. 

Yeah that's something you do for your 3rd or 4th Jool 5 :D

Plop an ISRU on Pol or Bop and a Jool 5 gets far easier. Just ferry the fuel back to your Mothership (in orbit of Tylo) and make sure all your landers can do their jobs with full tanks.

Maybe make 1 multifunctional lander ??? (with ISRU), and maybe Pol with bare EVA to land there and back to the ship in Pol-ar orbit ? (and you dont always need shock absorbers)

Edited by GRS

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.