Imnew and i need some help or tips landing on the moon with a lander

Skylid

Hi Skylid, welcome to the community :)

What I do is get into orbit around the Mun first, then lower the periapsis to about 10km, then when I'm at periapsis I do a burn to cancel my horizontal velocity.

Use capslock for finer control when landing, and tilt a little as you descend so you can scrub off any remaining sideways movement, you should be fine with a little practice.

Yes, the two above posts are the ideal ones for any moon landing. A wide landing base makes for a much more stable landing. Typical lander consists of four small half tanks radially coupled around one engine to get you back to kerbin. use the smallest engine will provide easily landing and lift off thrust. By putting your lander legs on these tanks, landing is very stable.

The deceleration phase, you don't want to be using your landing engines just yet. It is good to have some fuel in a more primary drive still from when you left kerbin for this task. To keep your horizontal speed, just make sure your ship is alway pointing in the ADI reverse direction indicator. manually controlling with a fine touch will remove any horizontal velocity, and use mild throttle control to keep your speed from being too high the last bit. For last few thousand metres, I like around 40m/s decent. When it starts getting closer to ground, slow it to less than 4m/s

A few tips I'd offer; for your first landings folow sal_vager's advice and drop vertically. If you keep the cross-hair centred on the green navball target as you descend the ship will thrust in the right direction to eliminate any horizontal movement. Once the target centres lock SAS and make tiny adjustments while eyeballing the ground as you get close. Later you can follow a parabolic trajectory on the navball as you approach to save a bit more fuel.

If you give yourself plenty of time on the descent adjust one axis at a time, that way you may find it easier to keep oriented. Also put a marker (such as a ladder) on the near-side of the ship and rotate so it faces you, then it's easier to predict which way the controls will turn the ship. The key to it is learning to use the navball, switching SAS modes to make adjustments, and knowing from experience when to start braking!

Also do a quick-save when you are approaching the landing site, then you can practise without making the whole trip each time.