Kerbal Space Program 1.6: “To Vee or not To Vee” Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

7 minutes ago, klesh said:

I'm curious about the naming of craft in the VAB/SPH.  I'm seeing their names twice I think, and I don't recall it doing this previously. A picture is worth 1,000 words here:

GgNkzkV.png

I think one is the craft name and one is the file name. Scroll through and look for "Auto-Saved Ship".

4 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

I think one is the craft name and one is the file name. Scroll through and look for "Auto-Saved Ship".

Indeed.  I can see an "Untitled [Auto-saved Ship]"... Untitled being the ship name in the VAB, and "auto-saved ship" being the filename I presume.  Interesting. 

New visual updates: 9/10 (The dynamic cube maps look awesome, I didn't notice any difference in quality between the medium and high settings). 

Bug fixing: 8/10 (No serious bugs experienced so far, and thank god they fixed that memory leak). 

Parts: 10/10 (I like the new parts, thanks Squad!). 

Delta V Calculator: 9/10 (It works well and is simple to use, if a bit buggy). 

Overall, a great update! 

2 hours ago, Jestersage said:

So does anyone know if the revamp, from the craft file PoV is "new parts" (eg: <part>.v2) or "old parts" (retaining old name)

It depends on the part.

Some of them are simple re-skins (e.g. the nosecones), so it's the same part and it just gets a new look.

Others (such as the revamped engines, the Mk2 lander can, etc.) are actual make-a-brand-new-part-and-then-hide-the-old-one.

Well, my first experience with new 1.6 has been....not....good.  Loaded up my recent  Science mode save. Had a simple Mun/Minmus lander craft that has a MK2 Lander Can on it.  Lander Can 2 is unlocked, but, apparently whatever changes were made to it make VAB think it is a different part.  Any craft that hasMK2  lander can  shows as having invalid or locked parts on it in my craft saves.

That's not even the bad part.  If I try to build any craft with the new MK2 Lander Can , right clicking (to try and change the variant) give you this wonderful look....

g1HAm1M.png

Now, after doing this, I have completely lost the ability to right-click ANY part in the VAB without leaving VAB and re-entering. Loading different craft, starting a new craft, etc....right-click does nothing.

2 minutes ago, djr5899 said:

Well, my first experience with new 1.6 has been....not....good.  Loaded up my recent  Science mode save. Had a simple Mun/Minmus lander craft that has a MK2 Lander Can on it.  Lander Can 2 is unlocked, but, apparently whatever changes were made to it make VAB think it is a different part.  Any craft that hasMK2  lander can  shows as having invalid or locked parts on it in my craft saves.

That's not even the bad part.  If I try to build any craft with the new MK2 Lander Can , right clicking (to try and change the variant) give you this wonderful look....

Please see @Lupi's post above.  This is likely a Steam issue, and nothing to do with KSP itself:

3 hours ago, Lupi said:

Hey! just wanted to drop a nugget of information before anyone freaks out.

If you're having weird glitches on your steam install, try validating the game files. Steam has been having issues pushing files correctly. 
To do this, rightclick kerbal on steam, hit properties, then local files, then "verify integrity of game files"
it'll probably say some files are missing, then redownload them. Should hopefully fix things!

Like, weird nullrefs, odd behavior, et cetera. If something seems wildly wrong or just acts out fully like this: 
Dneen8G.jpg

If that's not helping, try removing mods if you've added any. Could always be a compatibility issue there too!

Try doing as Lupi suggests and see if that fixes the problem?

28 minutes ago, ObsessedWithKSP said:

Congrats on the release, talk about an early Christmas present! Not so much for modders though :P

Are you kidding?  It's a great Christmas present for modders.  ;) 

Provides new features for modders to work with-- like getting shiny new toys.  Also, most existing mods will not (I expect) be affected by the update, and should continue to work just fine.  Certainly all of mine appear to.

6 minutes ago, Snark said:

Please see @Lupi's post above.  This is likely a Steam issue, and nothing to do with KSP itself:

Try doing as Lupi suggests and see if that fixes the problem?

I did try that, and it did not fix the issue.  Saw the same suggestion in the Tech Support forum as I was going to report the issue there, and same thing had been reported.  i did Verify the files, and it said it found 2 that it needed to redownload.  I let it do its thing, did Verify again, didn't show any problems.  Loaded KSP, and craft shows invalid parts, building new craft starting with MK2 Lander Can still shows the Variant multiple slider issue.