Kerbal Space Program 1.6: “To Vee or not To Vee” Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

Great update.

But there are a couple things that I sorely miss:

Grey, metal varients of the flat adapters.
Fully white varient of the Rockomax Brand Adapter.
Varients of the Rockomax Brand Adapter and Nosecone without the grey stripe.

8 minutes ago, djr5899 said:

I did try that, and it did not fix the issue.  Saw the same suggestion in the Tech Support forum as I was going to report the issue there, and same thing had been reported.  i did Verify the files, and it said it found 2 that it needed to redownload.  I let it do its thing, did Verify again, didn't show any problems.  Loaded KSP, and craft shows invalid parts, building new craft starting with MK2 Lander Can still shows the Variant multiple slider issue.

Well, in that case, I'd suggest opening a new thread in the appropriate "Tech Support" sub-forum.  I'm running KSP 1.6 here, and it's working just fine for me.

Therefore it seems likely to be a problem at your end-- something about the state of files on your system, somehow.  Diagnosing would require diving into more details, looking at your log file, etc., so not something to address here in this thread.  It's what the tech support forums are for;)

19 minutes ago, Snark said:

Please see @Lupi's post above.  This is likely a Steam issue, and nothing to do with KSP itself:

It happens with GOG Galaxy as well, including after verifying and with no mods. The MH rover wheels do the same thing.

Also, the Nerv engines appear activated in the VAB/SPH.

1 minute ago, Black-Two- said:

It happens with GOG Galaxy as well, including after verifying and with no mods. The MH rover wheels do the same thing.

Also, the Nerv engines appear activated in the VAB/SPH.

Again, not seeing that here.  Nerv engines are working fine for me.

Clearly there's something amiss, but that's a matter for the tech support forum rather than here, so that people can help you by diving into your technical specifics.

Limited the amount of undo/redo steps in the editors to prevent excessive use of memory while building large, complex vehicles. The amount of steps can be adjusted via GameSettings.EDITOR_UNDO_REDO_LIMIT

I figured out that was problem the other day, when I had to do a LOT of undos on a large craft.

If this setting is defaulted to less than 30, it's going to be a problem.

Is the editor currently retaining a complete copy of craft per change, or is it transactional?

4 minutes ago, FleshJeb said:

Limited the amount of undo/redo steps in the editors to prevent excessive use of memory while building large, complex vehicles. The amount of steps can be adjusted via GameSettings.EDITOR_UNDO_REDO_LIMIT

I figured out that was problem the other day, when I had to do a LOT of undos on a large craft.

If this setting is defaulted to less than 30, it's going to be a problem.

Is the editor currently retaining a complete copy of craft per change, or is it transactional?

from memory its default is 32

Incidentally, for folks like @djr5899 and @Black-Two- who are seeing odd VAB problems with parts like the revamped Mk2 lander can, and so forth:

If simply running Steam's "verify local files" function (or the moral equivalent on whatever download platform you're using) doesn't solve the problem for you... perhaps it may be worth running that and also deleting your PartDatabase.cfg file (from the root of your KSP folder) before re-starting KSP?

If the game tried to start up with a corrupted set of local files, it's possible that the corruption could have screwed up PartDatabase.cfg.  And since that's a locally-generated file that gets created when KSP runs, the "verify local files" function wouldn't fix it.  So it may be worth seeing what happens if you delete that file before starting KSP, thus forcing the game to re-generate it.

2 minutes ago, razark said:

I foresee a lot of "When is this going to be updated?" posts while they try to enjoy their holiday break.

Gosh, you're right.  If only modders had the ability to just enjoy their break and not bother responding to such people until they're good and ready to do so... ;)

<carefully disengages the shock collar connecting me to my mod threads>

8 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

I'm not even sure this is a 1.6 thing, may have been introduced with the 1.5 revamp... but, is this the expected lighting behaviour on the HEC-II?

If you look at the Stayputnik you have there two specular highlights. In the launchpad there is another light spot, if you try it somewhere else or in a different time of day that light spot won't be on.

22 minutes ago, Snark said:

Incidentally, for folks like @djr5899 and @Black-Two- who are seeing odd VAB problems with parts like the revamped Mk2 lander can, and so forth:

If simply running Steam's "verify local files" function (or the moral equivalent on whatever download platform you're using) doesn't solve the problem for you... perhaps it may be worth running that and also deleting your PartDatabase.cfg file (from the root of your KSP folder) before re-starting KSP?

If the game tried to start up with a corrupted set of local files, it's possible that the corruption could have screwed up PartDatabase.cfg.  And since that's a locally-generated file that gets created when KSP runs, the "verify local files" function wouldn't fix it.  So it may be worth seeing what happens if you delete that file before starting KSP, thus forcing the game to re-generate it.

Gosh, you're right.  If only modders had the ability to just enjoy their break and not bother responding to such people until they're good and ready to do so... ;)

<carefully disengages the shock collar connecting me to my mod threads>

Thanks for trying to help @Snark .  Unfortunately, that didn't help either.  It is very strange.  When I see the problem, I go into Steam, Verify the file, and it says 1 file corrupted or something and it will reacquire the file.   I can completely shutdown Steam after doing that, open it back up, run Verify files, and it says everything is good.  No file issues.  I run KSP, see the issue.  Quit KSP, run Verify again, and it again will say 1 file corrupted.  Think I started off on 1.4 or somewhere in that range, and have never seen an issue like this in 4-5 version upgrades.  Very odd.

1 hour ago, Snark said:

It depends on the part.

Some of them are simple re-skins (e.g. the nosecones), so it's the same part and it just gets a new look.

Others (such as the revamped engines, the Mk2 lander can, etc.) are actual make-a-brand-new-part-and-then-hide-the-old-one.

Thanks. Time to build my (all the updated parts in the change log and then document the name)

15 minutes ago, tater said:

KSP still doesn't run on the Mac without opening the package contents.

That's pretty inexcusable.

Agree. 

Amusingly the solution for me was to buy a new Mac. Fresh install of the game and it ran normally/properly like everything else (though admitedly I still had to alt-click open the first time to get the "Yes, I really want to run this dangerous program downloaded from an unknown foreign entity" dialog).

Have you tried buying a new Mac?

If you don't want to plonk down $3k+ just to play the new version, I strongly suspect there's something in a ~/Library/ entry related to either Unity or Squad/KSP that's causing it. Ie: cache invalidation bug or somesuch. 

Edited by Cydonian Monk

2 hours ago, releansol said:

Happy Christmas-Holiday to all Modders :confused:

They could always wait until after the holidays to update.

2 hours ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

*thinking emoji*
Who do I trust now

Watch out don't install MechJeb you'll probably get 3 numbers.

Just make sure your margins aren't paper thin and you'll be fine.

8 minutes ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Agree. 

Amusingly the solution for me was to buy a new Mac. Fresh install of the game and it ran normally/properly like everything else (though admitedly I still had to alt-click open the first time to get the "Yes, I really want to run this dangerous program downloaded from an unknown foreign entity" dialog).

Have you tried buying a new Mac?

If you don't want to plonk down $3k+ just to play the new version, I strongly suspect there's something in a ~/Library/ entry related to either Unity or Squad/KSP that's causing it. Ie: cache invalidation bug or somesuch. 

Is your new Mac running Mojave?

Is this entirely a High Sierra issue?

4 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Watch out don't install MechJeb you'll probably get 3 numbers.

Just make sure your margins aren't paper thin and you'll be fine.

I'm overengineering everything anyway. 

>when your kerbin orbital insertion stage isn't even used until after being in orbit and now serves for the entire transfer burn.

I deinstalled and erased all from the Steam 1.5.x ; before i did a backup of the 80 mods and got it over the fresh 1.6. 

In Career all the mods  worked fine;  BUT some  Errors appear:

- Wolfshound Engine   is  changed  to veryHeavyRocketry  -> copy or edit the cfg files SquadExpansion\making history - entry to a lower techLevel and redo the 2.5 tons weight)
- on some Ships    it comments: no connectedLivingSpace etc. and docking hatch missing - But the ships will be startable. 
- in the R&D the thumbs on the right screen say :  own but with a placeholder symbol. 

Edited by sec3