Kerbal Space Program 1.6: “To Vee or not To Vee” Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

2 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

No other mods - in regards with the landercan variant issue...  basically, have one or the other but not both!

with MM 3.1.2. and no KER it works.

with MM 3.1.2 with KER it doesn't work

with no MM 3.1.2 but with KER it works

Im running MM 3.1.0  with ker and everything, just fine in 1.6 tho

Sooooo... since the 'ol Poodle is totally redesigned to look radically different, is the "Mun or Bust" startup screen going to be updated to incorporate the new twin-bell design?

I loaded up the Kerbal X warhorse, and it was kind of a shock to see how different it was. I think the only other change since 0.20 was when 1.2 added a heatshield.

6 hours ago, nestor said:

If you look at the Stayputnik you have there two specular highlights. In the launchpad there is another light spot, if you try it somewhere else or in a different time of day that light spot won't be on.

Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to know the source of that second illumination, this is a bone stock install right at the start of Universal Time?

I think Christmas came early.

Thanks for this gift (although I'd like to had have the option to use the old textures ... guess I have to make a backup of'em and mod'm in after the update)

Happy holidays to the team ... (or since it's likely that the whole team is actually Christian ... Merry Christmas)

Have fun (and I hope you get some free time to spend with your loved ones ... or at least your families) ... 

and happy new year (since I am unlikely to post ... and hopefully no one of you is forced to read posts)

7 hours ago, ManeTI said:

Please try the installer, some people that uses the zip make the game launch moving the KSP.app to the Desktop folder or any other place outside the folder it unzipped and then moving it back.

I am having trouble launching 1.6.0 Mac zip version. Is the installer the kerbal icon labeled launcher? It’s play button is greyed out when I open it. I tried moving KSP.osx locations as above but no luck. Any other suggestions to get 1.6 going on Mojave?

3 hours ago, spongebobsquaresaget said:

Tried 1.6 for a few minutes.

I'm going to vote against "new content" and for "fixing old bugs". Some of the bugs that were created in 1.4 are still present and we got some new highly objectionable bugs with 1.6

I'm sticking with 1.3.1

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion. But what new highly objectionable bugs are you referring to?

looking at the public bug tracker. There are 5 bugs reported for 1.6.0. Four are low and one is normal priority.

2 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to know the source of that second illumination, this is a bone stock install right at the start of Universal Time?

The light on the water tower

8 hours ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Agree. 

Amusingly the solution for me was to buy a new Mac. Fresh install of the game and it ran normally/properly like everything else (though admitedly I still had to alt-click open the first time to get the "Yes, I really want to run this dangerous program downloaded from an unknown foreign entity" dialog).

Have you tried buying a new Mac?

If you don't want to plonk down $3k+ just to play the new version, I strongly suspect there's something in a ~/Library/ entry related to either Unity or Squad/KSP that's causing it. Ie: cache invalidation bug or somesuch. 

Or, you know, you could get a gaming PC for a thousand bucks and be done with it.

2 hours ago, Jesusthebird said:

Hmmm...to update or wait...what a pickle this is...

lack of coliders on some parts..mysterious MM/KER issues by some..those new features sound really sweet tho!! Hmm..tomato or potato..

Patience is a virtue.  I've been waiting since 1.3.1.

Lack of colliders should be weird, but this is KSP.  We've come to expect weird head scratchers in new updates.

I just launched a stripped of all mods game and found it so much more accessible with the DV readouts. I think the console crowd will be happy with this one.

And I like being able to retire a screen eating mod. 

(A radar altimeter would be a nice add though)

Hold on... You launched the update already? I thought it wasn't due 'till January...

And here we are, the (potentially) best update yet, releasing ahead of schedule (or so I presume).

Well, thank you all for your hard work, I look forward to trying it, and I hope you all have a wonderful, bug-free Christmas break!

---Addendum---

WOAH! WAIT A MINUTE!

You changed the detail level on the adapters according to player feedback? They don't look like plate mail had a baby with a cheese grater anymore?

I...

I need to get to a doctor...

Edited by GearsNSuch

A question regarding the "reworked" parts...and a chance to show I know nothing about KSP ;). I have carried over saved ships and subassemblies since 1.3.1. Will these still work in 1.6 with it's parts?

I had just got around to upgrading to 1.5 (DL'ing, gathering mods for it, etc.)...you're killin' me, Smalls! I think I'll just carry on with 1.4 until my fave mods are updated.

Thanks gang!

3 minutes ago, Victor3 said:

A question regarding the "reworked" parts...and a chance to show I know nothing about KSP ;). I have carried over saved ships and subassemblies since 1.3.1. Will these still work in 1.6 with it's parts?

Yep.  In cases where the geometry was exactly the same, they will be swapped in place.  In cases where the geometry changed, your old versions will remain in game (and hidden) but you will have access to the new versions of the parts to use on future craft.

5 hours ago, T1mo98 said:

Or, you know, you could get a gaming PC for a thousand bucks and be done with it.

I have a PC as well. I'm not very fond of it (it's ugly, and noisy (I built it, myself, but the available choices for parts/cases doesn't escape ugly and noisy easily)).

6 hours ago, bonyetty said:

I am having trouble launching 1.6.0 Mac zip version. Is the installer the kerbal icon labeled launcher? It’s play button is greyed out when I open it. I tried moving KSP.osx locations as above but no luck. Any other suggestions to get 1.6 going on Mojave?

JUst up this thread are some answers from Squad that are not in the support forum at all regarding the issues with getting the Mac version to run. You, like me appear to have DLed the zip version---for good reason, since as far as any of us knew, the "Installer" has never worked, and so we never bothered to use it. It apparently actually works! Try DLing the installer and running that instead of the usual use of the zip file. Don't use the "Launcher" that's in the file structure, that doesn't work (I'm curious does it work for anyone?). Seems like a waste of 53MB of DL.

To be clear, go to the KSP Store, to your account, then under Kerbal Space Program, DL the "Installer (.pkg)" instead of the zip, and run that once it's downloaded.

1 hour ago, klgraham1013 said:

I beg to disagree.  My PC case is cheap, simplistic, and near noiseless.

Cheap and simplistic doesn't seem to remove "ugly." ;)

Near noiseless is great. My 27" i7 iMac is completely noiseless. Not low noise, zero noise. My noise standard for the computer in the small TV room den we usually hang out in is that if I can tell it's operating at all with my ears, it's too noisy. SSDs because I don't even like the sound of a HD doing anything.

Edited by tater

6 minutes ago, tater said:

My noise standard for the computer in the small TV room den we usually hang out in is that if I can tell it's operating at all with my ears, it's too noisy.

I literally can't tell if my PC is running.  I make music, so that's pretty important to me as well.  Look hard enough and you'll find what you're looking for. ;)

8 minutes ago, tater said:

Cheap and simplistic doesn't seem to remove "ugly."

I like simple, clean looking designs.

Looks really cool and while i havent been entirely onboard with all of the revamps thusfar, i will say it turned out better looking then i expected (only real complaint i still have is the lack of new 3D models on some of the meh parts).

Now if only shipping didnt keep delaying when my new rig is going to arrive id actually be able to start messing around with it.  Damn you useless gpu that roasted itself :(

Edited by panzer1b

17 hours ago, Snark said:

If simply running Steam's "verify local files" function (or the moral equivalent on whatever download platform you're using) doesn't solve the problem for you... perhaps it may be worth running that and also deleting your PartDatabase.cfg file (from the root of your KSP folder) before re-starting KSP?

This solved it for me! Thanks!

Edited by Black-Two-