Kerbal Space Program 1.6: “To Vee or not To Vee” Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

3 hours ago, tater said:

Cheap and simplistic doesn't seem to remove "ugly." ;)

Near noiseless is great. My 27" i7 iMac is completely noiseless. Not low noise, zero noise. My noise standard for the computer in the small TV room den we usually hang out in is that if I can tell it's operating at all with my ears, it's too noisy. SSDs because I don't even like the sound of a HD doing anything.

To be frank, if you're that picky about computers, you shouldn't complain about KSP not being specifically made for Mac.

The only advice I can give you is to stop buying overpriced products from a terrible company.

20 minutes ago, T1mo98 said:

To be frank, if you're that picky about computers, you shouldn't complain about KSP not being specifically made for Mac.

The only advice I can give you is to stop buying overpriced products from a terrible company.

My previous Mac finally bit the dust after 8 years. It played KSP just fine (also an i7 machine). My newer machine will have a similar lifespan, no doubt. Overpriced is relative, I suppose, the expense did not bother me.

Being picky is fine. Downstairs, where noise is not an issue, I build a (noisy, ugly) gaming rig, upstairs, where the computer needs to cohabitate with other activities, noise is a principal concern. I could build a noiseless PC (or hackintosh, for that matter), but it would probably take up more room than I would like (abobe house, built-in desk in a weird corner of a small room with literally nothing approaching a 90-degree angle in it). Computers are like cars. All you need might be the cheapest possible vehicle capable of getting you between A and B, but that doesn't mean you don't buy the M5 anyway.

Does anyone feel like the reaction wheels are way too strong in the Mk2 Lander?

In rover mode you can flip it over with ease... almost feels too easy:

Spoiler

Is it possible for the 2 variants to have different level of reaction wheel power?

5 minutes ago, klesh said:

Maybe thats the point? To flip stranded rovers? I don't know, haven't played with the new update yet.

52 minutes ago, klesh said:

Does anyone feel like the reaction wheels are way too strong in the Mk2 Lander?

Reveal hidden contents

Is it possible for the 2 variants to have different level of reaction wheel power?

All of the reaction wheels in KSP are super OP. I’m not sure if the Mk2 lander can’s RWs are more powerful than before, but if you don’t like it you can always reduce the authority in the PAW.

I think it's a fair point that, as a rover, perhaps there is a gameplay reason for that pod not to have such OP reaction wheels. If we imagine the reaction wheels are in the sides that get chopped off for the butterstick variant, we can understand why the behaviour could be different :)

Okay I did some digging.  It has a torque listing of 15, which is in line with some of the other Mk2 cockpits, and the 1-3 Command pod, and hasn't changed from prior versions.  I know all reaction wheels are OP.   This one feels extra OP.  I suppose the difference in feel come from the weight reduction from 2.66t to 1.515t?

3 hours ago, klesh said:

Okay I did some digging.  It has a torque listing of 15, which is in line with some of the other Mk2 cockpits, and the 1-3 Command pod, and hasn't changed from prior versions.  I know all reaction wheels are OP.   This one feels extra OP.  I suppose the difference in feel come from the weight reduction from 2.66t to 1.515t?

That could be it and also maybe the fact that you don't have to roll over a 2.5m diameter thing - the actual wheel base is smaller,if that makes sense. Maybe trying the can version with additional weight would help see if it is consistent with that? 

5 minutes ago, Jesusthebird said:

has anyone been able to r-click the Lk2 Landercan in the editor...I know it has doors that can open..what am I supposed to do....use KIS?? lol

Sure have.  Take out ModuleManager, I think I read it was causing the right click issue.

Just now, klesh said:

Sure have.  Take out ModuleManager, I think I read it was causing the right click issue.

blast..I was about to edit my post lol. seems theres an issue with r-clicking parts. But I still had my mods installed...time for the ol "one by one" install method...

9 minutes ago, klesh said:

Could one of the devs elaborate on this please?  What is a mobile launch site? 

Not a dev (obvs), but the Mobile launchpads are the ones you place in the MH Mission editor. And based on my experience with moving the Dessert and Woomerang sites, those also seem to be at least partial "Mobile" launch sites. (Are those two only added by the MH DLC?)

I have no idea what that dev note / changelog entry is talking about though. 

Edited by Cydonian Monk

Thats what I presumed, but I think they would be served with a better name.  They dont have wheels and look literally bolted to the ground.  Since the MH launchpads are only on the MH side of the game, I dont see how they could be navigable in, for instance, Sandbox mode.  Weird.  

32 minutes ago, klesh said:

Since the MH launchpads are only on the MH side of the game, I dont see how they could be navigable in, for instance, Sandbox mode.  Weird.

As per the original you quoted, Stock and mobile launch pads are navigable. I read it as "stock and mobile launch pads are navigable, in all modes that you can use them in (that is, obviously, all applicable game modes)." 

Due to Christmas preparations I haven't had the chance to update to 1.6 yet but I can't wait....

As for people moaning about this bug, that bug, bugs not fixed etc....and??

Nothing in life is perfect and nor is KSP so as I've said before "it's just a game".....

I for one appreciate the fun I get from KSP.....

7 hours ago, klesh said:

7 hours ago, Jesusthebird said:

blast..I was about to edit my post lol. seems theres an issue with r-clicking parts. But I still had my mods installed...time for the ol "one by one" install method...

Actually if you load the game with the mods you want, then exit the game straight away from the menu option (don't alt f4 it) then start again you'll be fine.  You need to do it every time you add a mod that will alter the game generating the partdatabase.  Discussion has been in the MM thread.

Enjoy! Peace.

I think I like the changes to the Wolfhound, but time will tell. 380 down from 412 is a hefty nerf, but it's still 30 more than any other LF engine. The increased mass (pretty sure it wasn't 3.3t before...) might make it better for larger craft and give a reason to use the Poodle on stuff like landers.

Edit:
One thing I've noticed though, unless I've missed something, it seems you can only set one location for the dV tool, so to calculate the total range, you have to switch between atmo and vacuum settings while building. If you could choose individual settings for each stage it would make building a craft for a specific mission much easier.

Eg.
Stage 1: Kerbin ASL for initial ascent.
Stage 2: Vacuum for circularisation and Duna injection.
Stage 3: Duna upper atmo/surface.

Edited by DJWyre