Kerbal Space Program 1.6: “To Vee or not To Vee” Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

On 12/24/2018 at 8:35 PM, sneekyzeke said:

"The nav ball should be showing you the horizon in front of the vehicle, not the sky."  Thanks for this. Perfect way to visualize it.

I seriously can't understand whether that statement is sarcastic or not lmao :confused:

Love the update - thanks Squad! 

Has anyone else noticed that Kerbals now have a “history”? As in, the game keeps track of what they have done. Mine is telling me that Jeb has orbited Kerbin and planted a flag on the moon.

I’m not 100% sure if this wasn’t already a feature (didn’t play much of 1.5), but I haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere. Apologies if this is old news :)

1 hour ago, Goody1981 said:

Love the update - thanks Squad! 

Has anyone else noticed that Kerbals now have a “history”? As in, the game keeps track of what they have done. Mine is telling me that Jeb has orbited Kerbin and planted a flag on the moon.

I’m not 100% sure if this wasn’t already a feature (didn’t play much of 1.5), but I haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere. Apologies if this is old news :)

I don't know when the game started telling you this, but the data being there is as old as Kerbal experience. Kerbals don't have an XP number in the persistent file, the game looks at everywhere they've been (and returned home or to a lab for leveling) and calculates their XP based off that.

I do like seeing it on the screen though. Lets me decide whom to take where.

8 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I don't know when the game started telling you this, but the data being there is as old as Kerbal experience. Kerbals don't have an XP number in the persistent file, the game looks at everywhere they've been (and returned home or to a lab for leveling) and calculates their XP based off that.

I do like seeing it on the screen though. Lets me decide whom to take where.

Ah yeah cool, yeah I didn’t word that very well... I meant I’d never seen it shown in flight before... but maybe I just never noticed haha :)

Edited by Goody1981

On 12/20/2018 at 12:24 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

You have won +1 free internets.

Awesome! I was running low and needed a power-up :D

On 12/20/2018 at 5:19 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Most mods wont need updating

Good to know! I thought I read something in previous notes about the devs trying to make less an impact on mods when new versions come out. Glad to hear it's working.

Finally got some time over Christmas to get on my laptop and look at version 1.6......urrmmm....I'm confused if I'm honest.

I currently run 1.3.1 and 1.5.1 on my laptop and they run great.

1.6 however? Fresh install, no mods and I can't even move around in the VAB without serious frame jumping.

It's totally unplayable....to the point where even loading a save takes forever?

I'll take a punt and say it's not my machine yet I've tried everything to get 1.6 running smoother yet nothing I do works?

1 hour ago, maceemiller said:

Finally got some time over Christmas to get on my laptop and look at version 1.6......urrmmm....I'm confused if I'm honest.

I currently run 1.3.1 and 1.5.1 on my laptop and they run great.

1.6 however? Fresh install, no mods and I can't even move around in the VAB without serious frame jumping.

It's totally unplayable....to the point where even loading a save takes forever?

I'll take a punt and say it's not my machine yet I've tried everything to get 1.6 running smoother yet nothing I do works?

I'd say check your (graphic) settings and compare between the installs.

I've got an old potato laptop (Intel graphics ...) that I use when traveling. It "handles" KSP but very barely, at least I can test things on it.

And I just tested 1.6 on it and it behaves more or less identical to 1.5.1 and 1.4.5.

ps.
My standard FPS killer with a fresh install is "show ground crew".
ds.

Edited by Curveball Anders
forgot

6 hours ago, Deddly said:

On Steam? If you haven't already tried it, please check this important information about validating files.

I will look tomorrow but never had a problem before

7 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

I'd say check your (graphic) settings and compare between the installs.

I've got an old potato laptop (Intel graphics ...) that I use when traveling. It "handles" KSP but very barely, at least I can test things on it.

And I just tested 1.6 on it and it behaves more or less identical to 1.5.1 and 1.4.5.

ps.
My standard FPS killer with a fresh install is "show ground crew".
ds.

Ground crew is turned off and graphics settings are identical across the 3 versions.....

13 hours ago, Deddly said:

Hi @Loki19A, welcome! What parts of the update are you not happy about?

Every time I get used to an older version .they create a newer version .and  I have to keep reverting back to older ones because Mods dont work.guess I have to wait for the creators to catch up:lol:

12 hours ago, Deddly said:

On Steam? If you haven't already tried it, please check this important information about validating files.

Well you live and learn! I have never had to do this before and ive heard of it so many times...

All up and running now...not sure why I had to validate but ask no questions......

Thank you @Deddly :)

On 12/20/2018 at 6:52 PM, Lupi said:

Hey! just wanted to drop a nugget of information before anyone freaks out.

If you're having weird glitches on your steam install, try doing this:

1. Exit KSP, if it's running.
  2. Validate the game files. (Steam has been having issues pushing files correctly.)  To do this, rightclick kerbal on steam, hit properties, then local files, then "verify integrity of game files". It'll probably say some files are missing, then redownload them.
  3. Go into the root folder of your KSP install, and delete PartDatabase.cfg.  (It may have become corrupted, and validating doesn't fix it because this is a locally generated file.)
  4. Restart KSP.

Should hopefully fix things!

Like, weird nullrefs, odd behavior, et cetera. If something seems wildly wrong or just acts out fully like this: 
Dneen8G.jpg

If that's not helping, try removing mods if you've added any. Could always be a compatibility issue there too!

1.6 was running terribly laggy before @Deddly gave me your info....Thank you so much @Lupi!!!

Edited by maceemiller

6 hours ago, maceemiller said:

I will look tomorrow but never had a problem before

You're not the only one. I have no idea how many people had to who never had before, but I am in that group as well :)

23 minutes ago, maceemiller said:

Well you live and learn! I have never had to do this before and ive heard of it so many times...

Yeah something about this particular thing made it extremely common.

Thanks for the suggestions from @Deddly @HebaruSan and @TriggerAu

I verified the install, set contol to forward, but In the end it was toggling torque to disabled in the right click menu that pretty much fixed it. There are still some very small turns of the vehicle (right when accelerating, left when braking) from time to time, but nothing I can't live with.

The strange thing is that I've built dozens of rovers in the past (versions 0.23.5 onwards) and I've never had to think about the SAS settings, just built the things, launched them and rolled into the sunset... no problems like this.

Additionally the problem (with torque enabled) was only showing up for me with the Mk2 Lander Can variant. It just seems twitchy somehow, at least for me.

13 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

You're not the only one. I have no idea how many people had to who never had before, but I am in that group as well :)

Yeah something about this particular thing made it extremely common.

:) I actually feel a little embarrassed that I didn't try something I "know" to try but I panicked!

Relieved I'm not the one!

Off topic from my original post, I have noticed that, now 1.6 is running properly, my laptops heat has dramatically dropped. Where I use my mouse it could blow so hot my thumb nail (I'm left handed and vent is on left side) would get so hot it hurt...now, after 3 hours of playing it's only just warm.......

Edited by maceemiller

I have read this entire thread. I am having issues like Lupi described but its only with modulemanager. I have done the file verification. The result tells me 2 files are missing and will be re-allocated ( shows no option to re-allocate manually ). I also tried deleting the parts file in the the root. no help. anyone else experience this issue with the modulemanager.?

9 minutes ago, Leadcatcher said:

I have read this entire thread. I am having issues like Lupi described but its only with modulemanager. I have done the file verification. The result tells me 2 files are missing and will be re-allocated ( shows no option to re-allocate manually ). I also tried deleting the parts file in the the root. no help. anyone else experience this issue with the modulemanager.?

The problem wont be gone at the first game load. You need to load, close and load the game. Strange thing but it sorta works