Kerbal Space Program 1.6: “To Vee or not To Vee” Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

I'm noticing some bugs with the parachutes, the mk16 I think they're called. Don't know how to explain, have screenshots tho. Also a little feedback: when detaching a payload, SAS will occasionally shut off, like when im flying the Stratolauncher or Satellite Launcher... this is in stock game w/out mods. In addition to this, I'm a little upset over how the probe modules got nerfed, especially since i mostly play sandbox mode. The Octo barely has any useful functionality.RqTaTXs.png

1 hour ago, TrackerAerospace said:

In addition to this, I'm a little upset over how the probe modules got nerfed, especially since i mostly play sandbox mode. The Octo barely has any useful functionality.

Nerfed? Nerfed how? I haven't noticed any difference at all in the probe cores' behavior. Am I missing something?

6 hours ago, TrackerAerospace said:

I'm noticing some bugs with the parachutes, the mk16 I think they're called. Don't know how to explain, have screenshots tho. Also a little feedback: when detaching a payload, SAS will occasionally shut off, like when im flying the Stratolauncher or Satellite Launcher... this is in stock game w/out mods. In addition to this, I'm a little upset over how the probe modules got nerfed, especially since i mostly play sandbox mode. The Octo barely has any useful functionality.RqTaTXs.png

My mod, OldPartsRedux, adds classic versions of the probe cores based off their 1.5 counterparts. They should be immune to the changes affecting the 1.6 versions.

i love the revamp. i love the variants and new colors. and that we can shrink some engines one diameter smaller with one of the variants.

and i love the 2 nozzled poodle. but i would also love to switch between 1 or 2 nozzles. on landers or small docking crafts it looked great with the "small" 1 nozzled engine :)

Can anyone confirm a bug I have with the Mk2LanderCan? Apparently, while all my right click menus are working fine with MM and a bunch of mods, trying to use the Right Click Menu on the Mk2 Lander Can in the VAB/SPH immediately triggers a long list of variant switch menus, NullRefs and disables menus for every part. It was fixed when I entered another building, but I want to see whether this applies to me or to everybody. I run MM 3.1.0

On 1/6/2019 at 4:58 PM, TriggeredSnake said:

My mod, OldPartsRedux

I feel like your self advertising across the platforms gets a bit bothersome.

1 minute ago, Xurkitree said:

Can anyone confirm a bug I have with the Mk2LanderCan? Apparently, while all my right click menus are working fine with MM and a bunch of mods, trying to use the Right Click Menu on the Mk2 Lander Can in the VAB/SPH immediately triggers a long list of variant switch menus, NullRefs and disables menus for every part. It was fixed when I entered another building, but I want to see whether this applies to me or to everybody. I run MM 3.1.0

You are a bit late on that.
Using MM on 1.6 causes an odd bug with the partdatabase cfg.
Whenever you remove or add a partmod, which both edits that cfg, the Landercan bug gets triggered (this also affects a variety of modded animations). 
Closing the game and loading it a second time without removiing or adding anything, results in temporaly disabling that bug (until you again add or remove a mod)

17 minutes ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

Whenever you remove or add a partmod, which both edits that cfg, the Landercan bug gets triggered (this also affects a variety of modded animations). 
Closing the game and loading it a second time without removiing or adding anything, results in temporaly disabling that bug (until you again add or remove a mod)

Nope it doesn't for me. This is after I've run 1.6 with MM multiple times, and I only experienced it today.

To check whether this is a mod conflict or not, I fired up my stock install with just MM,MJ,KER and MJ and KER for all, and tried right clicking the Lander Can. I did this twice - same result.

So something is going very wrong somewhere...

Just now, Xurkitree said:

Nope it doesn't for me. This is after I've run 1.6 with MM multiple times, and I only experienced it today.

To check whether this is a mod conflict or not, I fired up my stock install with just MM,MJ,KER and MJ and KER for all, and tried right clicking the Lander Can. I did this twice - same result.

So something is going very wrong somewhere...

Did you verify your game first? 

6 hours ago, Xurkitree said:

I believe they just patched that in the 1.6.1 release today.

21 hours ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

Maybe. I’ll stop if anyone else complains; so far you are the only one and I’ve introduced quite a few people to OldPartsRedux who have been really enjoying it.

On 1/6/2019 at 11:53 PM, Snark said:

Nerfed? Nerfed how? I haven't noticed any difference at all in the probe cores' behavior. Am I missing something?

So in sandbox prior to 1.6, all the probe cores had full SAS functionality when fully upgraded. Now the smaller ones only have retrograde or prograde hold, and the octo just has attitude hold

On 1/7/2019 at 4:58 AM, TriggeredSnake said:

My mod, OldPartsRedux, adds classic versions of the probe cores based off their 1.5 counterparts. They should be immune to the changes affecting the 1.6 versions.

I’ll keep that in mind, but I’m still using 1.5 for modded saves because not everyone has updated their mods

On 1/7/2019 at 12:12 AM, Mythical Donuts said:

@Snark he means the new feature where you can set it so not all probe cores have all SAS modes

@TrackerAerospace  you can change that in the difficulty settings from the pause menu

I’m sorry, I looked but I might need help finding that setting 

23 minutes ago, TrackerAerospace said:

So in sandbox prior to 1.6, all the probe cores had full SAS functionality when fully upgraded. Now the smaller ones only have retrograde or prograde hold, and the octo just has attitude hold

I’ll keep that in mind, but I’m still using 1.5 for modded saves because not everyone has updated their mods

I’m sorry, I looked but I might need help finding that setting 

so when you create a save, you know the difficulty options thing? go into Advanced in that and it says All SAS Modes in Probe Cores or something like that, just tap the button next to it

Coming back to KSP after an Arma3 bender... Making history parts are rebalanced? Good in theory.

Looking at the changelog:

Mastadon: Was inferior IMO to the mainsail, still very very close in role - "Improved Isp" A good change because it wasn't very good, still basically redundant with mainsail... I'm Ok with this change though, it looks better. Better to be nearly the same as the mainsaile and look better, than to loook better but be worse than the mainsail.

Bobcat: EC and crash tolerance changed? Meh, I remember it as a bit underpowered relative to the others... so I guess it still is. It looks to be just a wee but better than the reliant.

Cheetah: I thought this was fine where it was. I see its 355 Isp, not 345 Isp now. Its not on the wiki as a change though... maybe something changed on the bobcat too? Anything over the old stock poodle may be a bit OPd IMO... but I'll be playing on 3x rescale, so... Ok

Skiff: one of the OP'd engines previously... had the highest vacuum TWR of LFO engines in the game, and decent vacuum Isp. Its weakness IMO was its low thrust to cross section area. It got hit with the nerf bat hard.... a 60% increase in mass, no change to thrust or Isp. I guess it needed it, but its still too weak for its size IMO, I would have tripled mass and doubled thrust... now its just a better swivel engine, but for similar size rockets.

Wolfhound: Nerfed... I see the wiki notes aren't very good "improved Isp"... when it has a worse Isp (better for balance, but worse for performance). its mass was increased too... but 380 Isp is still really good. I would have nerf batted this down to 360

Kodiak: Used to be just a slightly worse reliant engine. The changes make it better as a first stage engine, worse as a 2nd stage (well, at least lower vacuum Isp), relative to the Reliant. I'll approve... There's still a lot of overlap, but at least there is some differentiation and strengths for each.