Mod update/recompile request

golkaidakhaana

The only alternative is to learn to compile mods yourself... Find someone who is willing to help you (not me, I'm still a novice at Visual Studio)

Took me a few days... and a few more grey hair, but I learned enough to compile mods and even update simple things to the newest version of KSP.

I'm still learning, but I know enough to be dangerous :P

6 minutes ago, TheKurgan said:

Yeah, it's sad really. Some really nice mods have been lost like this :(

yeah... but then again, a lot of it can be attributed to the way many people in the community act toward mod devs.
So lots of times, not too surprising this happens. :(

Edited by Stone Blue

3 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

the way many people in the community act toward mod devs.

Agreed. Some people are just not intelligent enough to know what is involved or put no value in other people's time and effort... or were just not taught basic manners.

My bleak opinion of humans is that 45% of people under 30 years old are this way.

15 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

yeah... but then again, a lot of it can be attributed to the way many people in the community act toward mod devs.
So lots of times, not too surprising this happens. :(

So true but there are some mod devs that start modding thinking it's a get rich quick thing and quickly found out that's not going to happen and they just stop like BOXSAT mod and I wont name it but there was one that wanted people to pay for parts and which didn't take long to kill the mod they picked up so sad all the way around.

Edited by Mecripp

yeah.. I kno of what you speek :P
i agree... but I really think those people are few and far between... it mostly seems devs:
A) just lose interest
B) see other mod devs *take* their stuff (even tho its *legally* allowed, theres *ethics/etiqutte* aspect that some devs ignore)
C) ust rage quit, from all the requests from updates, and support requests/bug reports, and general dumb questions from peep who cant *READ*

4 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

yeah.. I kno of what you speek :P
i agree... but I really think those people are few and far between... it mostly seems devs:
A) just lose interest
B) see other mod devs *take* their stuff (even tho its *legally* allowed, theres *ethics/etiqutte* aspect that some devs ignore)
C) ust rage quit, from all the requests from updates, and support requests/bug reports, and general dumb questions from peep who cant *READ*

C is so true they are  alot wouldnt read the first page or the post right above theres :/

Looking at what was asked could one use through the eyes of a kerbal with alittle work for that part ?

Edited by Mecripp

@sslaptnhablhat There are already some nice and working alternative mod suggested here but if you still want to use the Mastcam mod, I can explain to you how to recompile it. It is a fairly simple mod with a single source file, so this doesn't even need Visual Studio, just the .NET v3.5 framework command line compiler and a texteditor.

edit: Actually, I'll explain it anyway if anyone here is interested in it. I just don't want to create a full blown step-by-step explanation if no one wants to read it :P

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

32 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

@sslaptnhablhat There are already some nice and working alternative mod suggested here but if you still want to use the Mastcam mod, I can explain to you how to recompile it. It is a fairly simple mod with a single source file, so this doesn't even need Visual Studio, just the .NET v3.5 framework command line compiler and a texteditor.

edit: Actually, I'll explain it anyway if anyone here is interested in it. I just don't want to create a full blown step-by-step explanation if no one wants to read it :P

If you make it, you'll got at least 1 reader :)

55 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

There are already some nice and working alternative mod suggested here but if you still want to use the Mastcam mod, I can explain to you how to recompile it. It is a fairly simple mod with a single source file, so this doesn't even need Visual Studio, just the .NET v3.5 framework command line compiler and a texteditor.

I would have certainly appreciated it, someone has very kindly recompiled the mod for me and sent it to me via PM, so I doubt this would be necessary (though if you do decide to explain I'll certainly read it anyway, and I'm sure other people will).

Just now, MaximumThrust said:

If you make it, you'll got at least 1 reader :)

At least one is perfectly fine, so here we go :)

How to recompile Mastcam for 1.5.1 using the .NET framework command line compiler

1) If you don't got it already, download and install the .NET framework v3.5: https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/download/details.aspx?id=21

2) Download the Mod from curseforge and extract the .zip file somewhere on your PC. I'm going to use the C:\ directory to keep things simple. The folder structure should look like this:

1WGHLkC.png

3) Open the mastcam.cs file in a texteditor of your choice. You have to remove two lines from the 'using' directive right at the beginning of the file. THe original looks like this:

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Linq;
using System.Text;
using System.Threading.Tasks;
using UnityEngine;
using KSP;

Delete the lines 'using System.Threading.Task' and 'using KSP', so it become this:

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Linq;
using System.Text;
using UnityEngine;

(Actually, it is just required to have 'using UnityEngine' there but let's keep it simple and the other lines don't harm anything)

4) Save and close the file

5) To keep it simple: Open 'KSP_install_directory/KSP_x64_Data/Managed' (for example: "C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed")

6) Select the 'UnityEngine.dll' and 'Assembly-CSharp.dll' and copy both files into the same folder which contains the Mod, in this example 'C:\Mastcam':
r32oSwO.png

7) Open the Plugin folder and delete the 'Mastcam.dll'

8) open the windows command line (for example 'win-key' + 'R' and type 'cmd') and navigate to your .NET framework install directory (by default, this should be 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5') by typing:

cd C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5

into the command line.

9) Run the folloing command to compile the mod (oriented on this example):

csc -target:library -out:C:\MastCam\Plugin\Mastcam.dll C:\MastCam\mastcam.cs -reference:C:\MastCam\UnityEngine.dll -reference:C:\MastCam\Assembly-CSharp.dll

Short explanaition for the command:

-target:library :We want a .dll file and not a .exe file so we have to tell the compiler about it
-out:Filepath :To specify an output directory for the compiled .dll file

C:\MastCam\mastcam.cs :The location of our source file
-reference:Filepath :The mod uses classes and methods which are not part of the .NET framework but of Unity and KSP so we have to tell the compiler where to find them.

If you chose a different folder structure which contains spaces, the filepath need to be written between quotation marks. For example: -out:"C:\Mast Cam\Plugin\Mastcam.dll"

More details about the command line compiler can be found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/csharp/language-reference/compiler-options/command-line-building-with-csc-exe#-rules-for-command-line-syntax-for-the-c-compiler

10) Install the mod :) (You can create a new folder called 'Mastcam' and copy the 'Parts' and 'Plugin' folder there or just delete the 'UnityEngine.dll' and 'Assembly-CSharp.dll' you have copied there earlier and move the folder to your KSP install)

If there are any questions, feel free to ask :)

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.