1.6 MK2 Lander Can bug?

Hi everyone,

In VAB and SPH when I place an MK2 Lander Can and use the secondary mouse button to change it's settings (variant, name etc) no menu appears, but an infinite list with of blue arrows on left and right on which each row says "Variant: Variant Name". The only way to get rid of this list is deleting the part.

Anyone having this problem?

4 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

You could try verifying your files through Steam/GoG Galaxy.

I'm having the same issue.  If you right click MK2 lander can, you get this weird variant slider bar repeated like 30 times.  I also see that, in an existing game, craft that already have MK2 Lander Can as a part are now seeing it as an invalid part.

g1HAm1M.png

After reading this thread, I tried the verify files in steam.  Very first time it said 2 files corrupted and would be reacquired.  Ran KSP. Same issue.

What now seems to happen is, when the issue occurs, Steam will say 1 file corrupted and being reacquired.  I can close steam after that, reopen, re-verify, and I get no errors.  I run KSP, the issue occurs, go back to Steam, and it again says 1 file corrupted and will be reacquired.

I also tried deleting the PartsDatabase.cfg file at games root, per the suggestion of another mod.  That also did not help.  I've been through 4-5 version upgrades of the game, and this has never happened on any other update.

I'm having this problem, only with Module Manager is installed - no other mods present.  KER (which doesn't use MM, is fine regardless).  I'm verifying the files in Steam and all that.  This occurs with MM 3.1.1 and 3.1.2 available on the Jenkins server. @Vandarren, @djr5899

Actually:

with MM 3.1.2. and no KER it works.

with MM 3.1.2 with KER it doesn't work

with no MM 3.1.2 but with KER is works

Edited by theJesuit

Verifying files solved my problem (Steam found 3 files corrupted), at least while building a new vehicle, but I haven't been able to do more testing today. I'm using a heavily modded game. Probably it's a conflict with a mod, but if only happens with this part, there must be an issue with the part itself. Because after this weird menu, my secondary button stopped working.

9 minutes ago, Vandarren said:

Verifying files solved my problem (Steam found 3 files corrupted), at least while building a new vehicle, but I haven't been able to do more testing today. I'm using a heavily modded game. Probably it's a conflict with a mod, but if only happens with this part, there must be an issue with the part itself. Because after this weird menu, my secondary button stopped working.

Yup.  But it occurs as I've indicated above - a conflict between MM and KER maybe?  Are you running both? Once it starts working for you, does it stay working?

Well, I have removed all mods, and backed up my custom flags, saves, and craft, and  uninstalled/reinstalled KSP.  Still broken.  I do believe there were some files that Steam didn't uninstall (including possible remnants of module manager), so I am no on my 2nd uninstall reinstall attempt, this time making sure the whole KSP directory in steam is gone.

Thought this was semi solved.  It's not for me.

However, in editing the file, removing the whole ModulePartVariants resolved it.  I'll keep playing. and editing this post.

Edit - I tried knocking out each variant, but this did not resolve the issue. Only removing the module altogether (which keeps the lander variant only)

Edited by theJesuit

8 hours ago, theJesuit said:

Yup.  But it occurs as I've indicated above - a conflict between MM and KER maybe?  Are you running both? Once it starts working for you, does it stay working?

Yes I've got Module Manager and Kerbal Engineer (Working although with a message saying is incompatible with current game version when loading the game). Today I've tried again, saving the ship and loading it again and apparently no issues on me.

14 hours ago, djr5899 said:

Well, I have removed all mods, and backed up my custom flags, saves, and craft, and  uninstalled/reinstalled KSP.  Still broken.  I do believe there were some files that Steam didn't uninstall (including possible remnants of module manager), so I am no on my 2nd uninstall reinstall attempt, this time making sure the whole KSP directory in steam is gone.

Did you also delete PartDatabase.cfg?

Doing a local-files validation plus deleting PartDatabase.cfg has solved the problem for at least one person.

1 hour ago, Snark said:

Did you also delete PartDatabase.cfg?

Doing a local-files validation plus deleting PartDatabase.cfg has solved the problem for at least one person.

Yes, I did both.  Didn't help.   I finally got it working after uninstalling through steam, then completely removing any additional folders in the KSP directory under steam apps, then reinstalling.

1 minute ago, djr5899 said:

Yes, I did both.  Didn't help.   I finally got it working after uninstalling through steam, then completely removing any additional folders in the KSP directory under steam apps, then reinstalling.

Hmm, interesting.  Glad you got a fix that worked :) ... however, for the benefit of posterity (i.e. other users who might run into the same problem), I'm curious:  when you say "additional folders in the KSP directory under steam apps", what exactly do you mean?

• Do you mean other folders directly inside steamapps or steamapps\common (e.g. other installed Steam games, outside the KSP folder itself)?
  • Or do you mean you had other folders inside the KSP folder itself?  If so, what were they?  Do you mean other mods, or something else?

2 minutes ago, Snark said:

Hmm, interesting.  Glad you got a fix that worked :) ... however, for the benefit of posterity (i.e. other users who might run into the same problem), I'm curious:  when you say "additional folders in the KSP directory under steam apps", what exactly do you mean?

• Do you mean other folders directly inside steamapps or steamapps\common (e.g. other installed Steam games, outside the KSP folder itself)?
  • Or do you mean you had other folders inside the KSP folder itself?  If so, what were they?  Do you mean other mods, or something else?

I had manually removed all mods folders.  Just moved them to a backup folder structure on a different drive.  I also made copies of the Saves, Craft, and Flags folders, since I had user specific data there that would be lost on an uninstall.

When I chose uninstall KSP from Steam, it still left the steamapps\common\Kerbal  Space Program\ directory, and a few sub directories.  I would have to try another uninstall to see exactly what it left behind, but, it was folders related to the KSP game (I want to say Parts, Plugins, PlugInData....can't remember if it left any part of the GameData folder).  It was quite odd to me that it left these things behind.

My test with KER and MM no longer works.  I have uninstalled and reininstalled, tried different verisons of MM after it started again whilst adding in my own MM patches. Couldnt seem to fix it.  I think it may be a conflict between the variant and MM.  As when it was happening I removed the variant modules from the landercan cfg file and the part loaded okay (but not with the variant option obviously).  Does @sarbian have any ideas?

In the Module Manager thread it has been deduced that it is the generation of the partdatabase file.  The workaround to this issue is to load ksp to the main menu.  Quit using the menu.  Reload the game and PROFIT.

This will need to happen every time you add more mods or change some of the files.

1 hour ago, theJesuit said:

In the Module Manager thread it has been deduced that it is the generation of the partdatabase file.  The workaround to this issue is to load ksp to the main menu.  Quit using the menu.  Reload the game and PROFIT.

This will need to happen every time you add more mods or change some of the files.

Thank you! I can confirm this works.

Whelp, I'm giving up on solving this one for myself... I have deleted every file except for the saves, GameData and screenshot folders, I have loaded to menu to generate PartsDatabase.cfg and quit and reloaded and I STILL get infinite errors with the lander can.

A brand new, no-mods game does work, so I get that it's a mod thing... but I have thrown out every single mod, and save games that were affected by this bug are still affected :huh:  Seems like there is no rescuing these careers outside of updated mods.

8 minutes ago, eddiew said:

Whelp, I'm giving up on solving this one for myself... I have deleted every file except for the saves, GameData and screenshot folders, I have loaded to menu to generate PartsDatabase.cfg and quit and reloaded and I STILL get infinite errors with the lander can.

A brand new, no-mods game does work, so I get that it's a mod thing... but I have thrown out every single mod, and save games that were affected by this bug are still affected :huh:  Seems like there is no rescuing these careers outside of updated mods.

I believe SQUAD knows about this bug and are working on a 1.6.1 patch to fix things...hopefully in time for Christmas!

5 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I believe SQUAD knows about this bug and are working on a 1.6.1 patch to fix things...hopefully in time for Christmas!

That would certainly be nice, but I'll forgive them if it's not until next year :) 

Curious as to what the one thing that this part does but others don't is however. Clearly it does something new and weird...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.