Deep space mission

jkeller098

ok so i sent 3 kerbals on a one way deep space mission to explore i have the near future tec mod instaled so for power they have a fusion reactor and a fule recycler but it has ither the reactor provides just a tiny bit to little power or heat. so I have an emergency solar array installed on it so i am wondering what have any of you done thats similar?

I have currently underway a deep space sat mission going on. Out to almost Neidon. Im not sure what my outcome is going to be but I sent it out there with a RTG and no solar. It is going to be a long time before I find out what the results are.

Here is a link to my sat mission. You might find something in there useful or interesting.

My usual deep space crew ship has 8 very large solar panels, plus 4 Near Future advanced RTG's.  Even with all that, once out near Jool, they can just barely power both the greenhouse & waste recycler if the ship is positioned perfectly.  I've made a larger exploration ship with a Deep Space Exploration Vessels mod that uses both a fusion drive & fusion reactor, although it also has multiple large solar panels & RTG's to conserve fusion pellets.  For bases & stations, I usually use large solar panels, with RTG's & fuel cells.  Sometimes, I'll add either a nuclear reactor (from Kerbal Planetary Bases) or a fusion reactor from DSEV.

37 minutes ago, Kevin Kyle said:

Your scaring me. lol I sure hope I have enough to complete my mission. But, all it has to do is live long enough to finish the last burn. But you got me worried now.

Unless you're doing something requiring high power drain, an RTG or two is generally enough.  By high power drain, I mean mining, ore processing (plus associated radiators) in stock and (in my career) growing crops in greenhouses & especially reprocessing waste into snacks.  If I wasn't using snacks, probably a pair or two of 1x6 solar panels and one or two RTGs would be enough for my crew cyclers.   

Edited by Cavscout74

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.