1.7 Airplane Part Redesigns

I think that the space shuttle and airplane parts should be redesigned to fully use the part design changer, for example: giving players the option to have a fully white metallic texture (like a airliner), or have black heat shield tiles (like the space shuttle). The same should be done to the rest of the airplane and shuttle parts, like the cargo bays, wings and fuel tanks. What do you all think? 

Just now, RealKerbal3x said:

I think the aircraft parts look fine. They’re Porkjet parts (who pretty much invented the stock style) so in my opinion they’re fine. Revamping parts just for the sake of revamping parts is not a good idea.

Agreed. I just think it's weird when the cockpit meant for space shuttles has thermal protection tiles, while the wings, cargo bays and fuel tanks don't. But maybe I'm just being picky. 

What we need:

Varients with thermal tiles on the bottom
2.5m parts and turboprops like in the mod Airplane Plus

What would be nice:

A 1.875m varient of the Goliath, or just 1.875m parts in general. LF tanks, intakes, engines, nosecones, cockpit, crew quarters, etc.
Helicopter rotors like in the Airplane Plus

1 hour ago, SpaceCube2000 said:

the cockpit meant for space shuttles has thermal protection tiles,

Does it?

Image result for ksp mk3 cockpit

It has a grey surface to represent where the Space Shuttle's HRSI tiles were located, but doesn't appear to have any thermal tiles.

I personally think that these parts should stay the same, but if SQUAD wants to add variants then they should just add on to the current models rather than outright replace them.

6 hours ago, Frozen_Heart said:

The porkjet parts look new and fit with the stock style.

There are plenty of old parts from 0.18 or something like that which could still be redone.

5 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

Variations?  Sure.  Change PJ's art??  No.

...I really wish they would've given Porkjet the money and time he needed to finish the revamp.

2 hours ago, qzgy said:

No.

They look good as is, with maybe some color variants, but no fundamental change to the art.

I wasn't saying that they should completely replace the current parts, I was just saying that variants with thermal protection tiles would be a nice addition. Maybe I could have been clearer with my wording. 

52 minutes ago, Manul said:

No, please, no. I don't want Goliath turbofan look like this

ukrainian-engine.jpg

given the recent parts, its actually something it seems like they'd consider....

On 12/21/2018 at 2:48 AM, RealKerbal3x said:

I think the aircraft parts look fine. They’re Porkjet parts (who pretty much invented the stock style) so in my opinion they’re fine. Revamping parts just for the sake of revamping parts is not a good idea.

And yet that seems to be Squad’s entire goal for the time being. Revamping parts for the sake of content these last few updates but I’m in the minority who thinks that there’s better content to create.

Im all for more variations to spaceplane parts, but i do NOT want to see porkjet's style lost (i can just override the new textures with old ones, but id rather not have to do that).  Still, given the state of the game and the sheer amount of atrociously looking parts still in the game , id rather have effort spent on making those look up to par.  As of this point we coyuld use revamps of most of the current engines, most structural parts, some command pods (granted the ones that are left are far from terrible looking but could still use a touch up, and especially mk1-3 needs fixed node geometry and a less pathetic texture), the 3.75m fuel tanks (and engines), and a few other things like science parts (would make starship internals look better with prettier dials and meters). 

That said, if i had a choice, id much rather have the devs create a update purely dedicated to improving performance and bug fixing, its been so long since we could get decent performance out of KSP (imo 0.90 was the best performing version, if you didnt go overboard with part count and try to load 2+ 500 part ships beside each other), and id love to enjoy this game's full potential by not being forced to limit my vessel designs just to cut down every possible part that doesnt serve a purpose (i just love asthetic design, id still not go too crazy, but being able to add 10-20 useless parts per vessel to make it look nicer would be very welcome).  Yeah its probably not possible to have high parts (and good physics), but there are plenty of things the devs could do to at least help with this problem.

Still, if you want to devote lots of time to revamps, go after the truly bad parts before going after porkjet's stuff because everything that came out of porkjet is either incredibly good looking (or at the least looks much better then everything else in the older game).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.