Delta V tool addition

As suggested in the Main 1.6 Update Discussion thread, one thing that is missing from both KER and the new dV tool is independent localisation for each stage (though KER does seem to assume vacuum for stage 2 onwards?).

For example, here we have a simple craft with two stages:

VjZw2SG.jpg

At Kerbin sea level we get 1629m/s for the first stage and 572m/s for the second.
Switching to Vacuum gives us:

CGzSpV3.jpg

2085m/s for stage 1 and the a more expected 2320m/s for stage 2.

Switching between the two to calculate total dV is awkward, especially when the total given at the bottom of the staging list changes too. This would only get worse with multiple stages in different locales, such as a mission to Duna, Eve or Lathe.

Selecting the intended conditions for each stage separately would be a great feature. An icon of some kind could be added next to the stage to indicate if it's different to the others.

In fact, a circle coloured like the planets are in the Tracking Station (plus black for vacuum) might be an idea.

Would be a nice feature sure but to be fair most engines are at close to max vacuum efficiency at what? Like 15k up?

You can pretty much go with the vacuum numbers for anything but the first stage. Or, do what I typically did with KER; which is go with the total vacuum number and take a good 10-20% off the top as a rough estimate varying for the amount of time I expect the vehicle to spend in low atmo. (So a lower percentage for high TWR craft, higher for low TWR.)

That said; I do like the idea! Please don't take my offer of practical current solutions as a dismissal of your idea.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

6 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

You can pretty much go with the vacuum numbers for anything but the first stage.

Plus any stage that starts landed on Eve, Laythe or (to a much lesser extent) Duna.

Though really for dV numbers I just know to use atmo-rated engines and also that the numbers on the charts assume you're reading the vacuum numbers.

6 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Or, do what I typically did with KER; which is go with the total vacuum number and take a good 10-20% off the top as a rough estimate varying for the amount of time I expect the vehicle to spend in low atmo. (So a lower percentage for high TWR craft, higher for low TWR.)

I never trust guesses for TWR, I like to SEE it. Too many 0.99 TWRs destroying my launch pad I guess :D

10 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Plus any stage that starts landed on Eve, Laythe or (to a much lesser extent) Duna.

Though really for dV numbers I just know to use atmo-rated engines and also that the numbers on the charts assume you're reading the vacuum numbers.

I never trust guesses for TWR, I like to SEE it. Too many 0.99 TWRs destroying my launch pad I guess :D

True, but then your into some pretty fiddly stuff and you're prolly expecting to have to do some mucking about lol.

I meant guess the percentage in relation to the TWR that KER shows, haven't used the stock Dv meter much yet...does it have any sort of TWR display?

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.