Pawelk198604

What is best strategy for start?

Recommended Posts

I mean about policy recently I upgraded my administration building?

 

I have 100 techs not know how to spend it? The planes are cool but those planes mission is way much too time-consuming 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly? I just ignore that building.

Generally though when you start, money's no problem but science is a pain, so you could enact the policy that diverts some fund earnings into science, and some rep. IIRC you can do them both if you enact them in the correct order, but if you do them in the other order one will become unavailable. I think you have to do rep first, then cash, but make a save before you try it so you can revert and do it the other way if I'm wrong.

Then later, when the tech tree's maxxed out, swap those two for the ones that turn science into money and rep into money.

You never ever need rep. You'll get plenty and turning it into useful currencies is almost always the correct choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be cool if we have science from long-duration space flight like ISS, like one point for each few kerbal days. 

But u have a problem with docking large construction on orbit i always mostly relayed on MechJeb for this because of mine manual docking mostly looked like those ones  :(

 

or that one :D  

 

Edited by Pawelk198604

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pawelk198604 said:

It would be cool if we have science from long-duration space flight like ISS, like one point for each few kerbal days. 

I mean, you could always use the Mobile Processing Lab. That's a great way to get loads of science from long-term bases and stations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Brownhair2 said:

I mean, you could always use the Mobile Processing Lab. That's a great way to get loads of science from long-term bases and stations.

But how to utilize it if we used that base science earlier, like observation reports and measurements  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pawelk198604 said:

But how to utilize it if we used that base science earlier, like observation reports and measurements  

Also remember that each lab can be loaded with identical reports, and that their value increases with 'distance' between the lab the the biome from where the report is.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Pawelk198604 said:

I mean about policy recently I upgraded my administration building?

I agree with @5thHorseman - I find it's not really worth using.  You may or may not find that funds are tight, depending on the difficulty and how cost-efficient you build.  But if you're flush with cash, converting to science is not a bad idea, since you always need more until you're maxed out. 

 

16 hours ago, Pawelk198604 said:

I have 100 techs not know how to spend it? The planes are cool but those planes mission is way much too time-consuming 

Very generally, I find the most effective techs to invest in are (1) new engines, and (2) more science equipment.  The former let you reach some new science bonanzas (like orbiting or landing on the Mun or Minmus), and the latter increase the payoff for each such mission.  But you may also need to grab a couple support parts as well, like fuel tanks, decouplers and electrics.  I agree that plane parts don't offer a great return on your time.  I usually leave these techs alone at first, and then backfill later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, fouad2009 said:

...in light of mine manual docking for the most part resembled those ones :(

Why the sad face? Did anyone expect you to be born with the knowledge and skill? Failure is part of the learning process which, depending on who you ask, is half the fun in KSP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally don't really mind about the initial science grind. My most favorite contract is tourists mission (best money maker contract), which is combined with  doing science while in flight and "outsourced RnD" strategy (convert a portion of gained money into science, set to 75% for sustainable operation, or 100% if there's a crap ton of money, since as long as the craft recovered intact, only fuel needs to be paid). Generally my early game looks like this:

1. After the mandatory starter contracts, I stopped at "escape atmosphere" (didn't complete it, reasons below). Focus early science research on scientific instrument line and aircraft line (at least to be able to make cheap passenger aircraft). Focus early money for upgrading administration building (for greater science gain from "outsourced RnD") and mission control (simultaneously run several contracts at once)

2. Due to how contract system works, a particular type of contract will be more likely generated the more it's picked up, so picking up tourist type contract will be more likely generate even more tourist contract, and the gimmick on tourist contract is, it'll only give you tourist destination based on the farthest reach you have gone in the past, so having never left the atmosphere, the contract will always atmospheric flight only

3. Since tourist contract offers the largest monetary reward, it has the most benefit from "outsourced RnD" strategy, especially if multiple tourist contract is done simultaneously, and since atmospheric flight has an easier time landing back at KSC, the craft can be fully recovered, with only fuel being paid. During the tourist mission, taking time to do science while flying or landing can tremendously boost the science gain. With the massive science gain from this method, it's easy to unlock a lot of intermediate science nodes and plan for bigger next tourist mission. If the rewards feels not enough, just "extend" your farthest reach little by little by doing flight to a place where you've never been before to control the farthest destination in generated tourist contracts (the reach in question is, from the lowest: Kerbin atmospheric flight, suborbital flight, Kerbin orbit, Mun flyby, Mun orbit, Mun landing, Etc... Etc...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Atkara said:

Why the sad face? Did anyone expect you to be born with the knowledge and skill? Failure is part of the learning process which, depending on who you ask, is half the fun in KSP. 

The orbital rendezvous is not hard thing it's piece of cake for me. :D  Aligning docking port off two spacecraft in the same plane is damn hard :(

And not smash into solar arrays or science stuff is hard, when I somehow manage i i have inner thought of Bob Kerman in my head "Dr. Pawel listen to do not dock I repeat do not dock!"

And i repeat  This is not about my life, or Jebs's life; this is about all Kerbalkind! There is a moment... :D 
 

 

 

It's sad that we cannot use Xbox controller instead keyboard :( after all the game was ported into consoles, i i have xbox controller that i use in MFSX 

 

PS. What teach i would need to unlock Gemini capsule (i call it Gemini because it's Gemini, forgot the KSP name of it, but i see i can unlock it? but what i would need to have fully functional Gemini spacecraft with Agena docking target? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Pawelk198604 said:

The orbital rendezvous is not hard thing it's piece of cake for me. :D  Aligning docking port off two spacecraft in the same plane is damn hard :(

Then practice, practice and then practice some more. For example: Treat each rescue contract as a docking op. You'll get it sooner than you think :)

53 minutes ago, Pawelk198604 said:

PS. What teach i would need to unlock Gemini capsule (i call it Gemini because it's Gemini, forgot the KSP name of it, but i see i can unlock it? but what i would need to have fully functional Gemini spacecraft with Agena docking target? 

Haven't played around with MH a lot. Only recently I've included it's parts into my playthrough -and to think that I've had the DLC for 9 months or so. You'd certainly need the 1.875m tanks, along with the Bobcat engine for the main booster stage and the SM-18 service bay. Not sure about the rest -was never interested in re-enacting the space programs of the 60s. That's not to say I wasn't listening to "When we left Earth" & "Space Race" series while playing, back in my early KSP days. But it was my own designs landing on the Mun, Minmus and pretty much everywhere else over the years.

If your goal is to learn how to dock, you don't need all that jazz. Do what I proposed above with the rescue contracts, or put two simple vessels into orbit and practice. Start small and once you've gotten that, feel free to think as big as you can handle. It'll come to you :)

Edited by Atkara

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Atkara said:

Then practice, practice and then practice some more. For example: Treat each rescue contract as a docking op. You'll get it sooner than you think :)

Haven't played around with MH a lot. Only recently I've included it's parts into my playthrough -and to think that I've had the DLC for 9 months or so. You'd certainly need the 1.875m tanks, along with the Bobcat engine for the main booster stage and the SM-18 service bay. Not sure about the rest -was never interested in re-enacting the space programs of the 60s. That's not to say I wasn't listening to "When we left Earth" & "Space Race" series while playing, back in my early KSP days. But it was my own designs landing on the Mun, Minmus and pretty much everywhere else over the years.

If your goal is to learn how to dock, you don't need all that jazz. Do what I proposed above with the rescue contracts, or put two simple vessels into orbit and practice. Start small and once you've gotten that, feel free to think as big as you can handle. It'll come to you :)

I have MH, in fact, I got it for free  :D because i have KSP since 2012 :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Pawelk198604 said:

I have MH, in fact, I got it for free  :D because i have KSP since 2012 :D 

I won it on a spacecraft design contest/giveaway :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2018 at 7:30 PM, Pawelk198604 said:

The orbital rendezvous is not hard thing it's piece of cake for me. :D  Aligning docking port off two spacecraft in the same plane is damn hard :(

And not smash into solar arrays or science stuff is hard, when I somehow manage i i have inner thought of Bob Kerman in my head "Dr. Pawel listen to do not dock I repeat do not dock!"

And i repeat  This is not about my life, or Jebs's life; this is about all Kerbalkind! There is a moment... :D 
 

 

 

It's sad that we cannot use Xbox controller instead keyboard :( after all the game was ported into consoles, i i have xbox controller that i use in MFSX 

 

PS. What teach i would need to unlock Gemini capsule (i call it Gemini because it's Gemini, forgot the KSP name of it, but i see i can unlock it? but what i would need to have fully functional Gemini spacecraft with Agena docking target? 

Thanks for that video! I have been looking for an KSP Interstellar Docking Scene with the music, and this is it man! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2018 at 4:32 AM, ARS said:

I personally don't really mind about the initial science grind. My most favorite contract is tourists mission (best money maker contract), which is combined with  doing science while in flight and "outsourced RnD" strategy (convert a portion of gained money into science, set to 75% for sustainable operation, or 100% if there's a crap ton of money, since as long as the craft recovered intact, only fuel needs to be paid). Generally my early game looks like this:

1. After the mandatory starter contracts, I stopped at "escape atmosphere" (didn't complete it, reasons below). Focus early science research on scientific instrument line and aircraft line (at least to be able to make cheap passenger aircraft). Focus early money for upgrading administration building (for greater science gain from "outsourced RnD") and mission control (simultaneously run several contracts at once)

2. Due to how contract system works, a particular type of contract will be more likely generated the more it's picked up, so picking up tourist type contract will be more likely generate even more tourist contract, and the gimmick on tourist contract is, it'll only give you tourist destination based on the farthest reach you have gone in the past, so having never left the atmosphere, the contract will always atmospheric flight only

3. Since tourist contract offers the largest monetary reward, it has the most benefit from "outsourced RnD" strategy, especially if multiple tourist contract is done simultaneously, and since atmospheric flight has an easier time landing back at KSC, the craft can be fully recovered, with only fuel being paid. During the tourist mission, taking time to do science while flying or landing can tremendously boost the science gain. With the massive science gain from this method, it's easy to unlock a lot of intermediate science nodes and plan for bigger next tourist mission. If the rewards feels not enough, just "extend" your farthest reach little by little by doing flight to a place where you've never been before to control the farthest destination in generated tourist contracts (the reach in question is, from the lowest: Kerbin atmospheric flight, suborbital flight, Kerbin orbit, Mun flyby, Mun orbit, Mun landing, Etc... Etc...)

This is a great walkthrough for early game. It's also completely opposite from my strategy, but I can see how it would work just as well or better. I love that KSP has multiple paths to success in career mode.

Here's my personal early game strategy (works on hard difficulty if you don't crash any vessels):

  1. Do landing pad science and atmospheric science by launching short range rockets.
  2. Research the tier 2 nodes: Basic Rocketry and Engineering 101
  3. Complete Escape the Atmosphere mission
  4. Should have enough money to upgrade the launchpad. Launchpad is 1st priority so you can load more fuel tanks onto your rocket to get to orbit and Mun.
  5. Research all tier 3 nodes: General Rocketry, Stability, Survivability
  6. Get to low Kerbin orbit and return
  7. Research Advanced Rocketry. The Terrier engine in particular is very important because it enables you to get a Mun flyby. Don't upgrade the tracking station yet -- you need the astronaut complex first, and then you're going to save up for a VAB upgrade. Get your Mun flyby by estimation. Get into an orbit around Kerbin with little to no inclination, then burn to put your apoapsis 45 degrees ahead of Mun with an altitude of 11,500,000m
  8. Upgrade the astronaut complex.
  9. Do EVA reports for science in space near KSP above as many biomes as possible.
  10. Research Basic Science for the SC-9001 Science Jr. However, resist the urge to go with unmanned probes early by going with the Electrics research node. You need lots of parts and research nodes all at once in order for probes to work properly. I'd say you'd need Electrics, Miniaturization, and Propulsion Systems, and even fairings before you build an unmanned probe at all. Before you get all of them in place, manned rockets can do it better with less parts (which is critical with an unupgraded VAB), and you really must get more powerful rockets first or you aren't going to get very far even with light probes.
  11. Start collecting Science Jr. science everywhere from Kerbin to Mun and the space inbetween. Don't try to return the science jr. module itself. Have a kerbal EVA to collect the science and store it in your command module.
  12. Do EVA reports for science in space near Mun. Get into an inclined orbit so you can get EVA science over as many craters as possible. You might need parts from step 13 below:
  13. Do not go for the aviation science node. Instead, your priorities in this strategy are: Flight Control for the AV-R8 Winglet which helps with controlling launches,  Heavy Rocketry for the Bobcat engine (expansion required) and Skipper engine, and Fuel Systems for adapters to the 1.875m parts, as well as the FL-T800 tank, which helps keep you under 30 parts for the level 1 VAB. If you don't have the expansion, you'll want General Construction so you have an adapter between 1.25m parts and 2.5m parts.
  14. Save up to upgrade the VAB. Resist the temptation to upgrade the tracking station and mission control before the VAB. You might think patched conics and maneuver node planning are really nice, especially for Minmus, and they can save delta-v expenditure, but that 30 part limit in the VAB hurts your delta-v budget much, much more. Break through to a 255 part limit and you will have thousands more delta-v above and beyond what you'd waste with inefficiencies from lacking maneuver nodes and patched conics. 
  15. Keep doing missions, then upgrade the tracking station and mission control. Now you can get to Minmus. Well, technically you can get to Minmus without them but it's a bit harder for new players.
  16. This is usually where I try to transition to unmanned probes by researching ElectricsMiniaturizationPropulsion Systems, and Advanced Construction with the science earned from Minmus. This gives you the OKTO probe core, solar panels, batteries, the Spark engine, and fairings. You can start by launching one-way probes to land on Mun and Minmus -- this would not be easy without the upgraded VAB and all these science nodes (see why we wait until this stage of the game before going with probes?). You can collect a LOT of science this way alone, or you can also research Landing for bigger landing struts, which lets you land Science Jr. modules with a Terrier engine for even more science. You can also use the Experiment Storage Unit to do return missions instead of just transmitting Science.
  17. Welcome to mid-game! Time to save up for the research building upgrade. Good luck!
     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.