What do you think about my idea for speed governor for car?

Pawelk198604

14 hours ago, Pawelk198604 said:

what telemetric black boxes? It some kind of absurd!!!  

It's a sound bit too Orwellian to me! 

As you don't drive, the thing you might not realize is that even normal driving,   within speed limits, obeying the laws of the road,  keeping under 0.5g or whatever,  is  fascinating.     It is more complex than  any video game,  so much stuff going on,  so many cars and junctions to keep track of,  gear changing, rev matching,  an infinite map to explore.      If you really want to experiment with stuff that falls outside of those limits,  have a track day,  take an advanced driving course, go go-kart racing,  or just play GTA V

There are far more paranoia inducing things than insurance black boxes these days.   Automatic number plate recognition cameras everywhere,   any day you could get a "penalty charge" notice in the post, because you exceeded the speed limit by 1mph or  had 1 wheel in a bus lane for 1 second at 2 am when driving along an unfamiliar, poorly signposted road.     "Crash for Cash" fraud.   Every time you take your car in for its annual safety inspection and the garage tells you it needs an expensive repair to X,   do you trust them ? Etc.

7 hours ago, AeroGav said:

There are far more paranoia inducing things than insurance black boxes these days.

Which is why you should get a train...

... except they're not very reliable either due to the age of the network.

Or you can live a little more dangerously, like we do.

7 hours ago, AeroGav said:

keeping under 0.5g

Holy crap, so you can't do emergency braking ?

12 hours ago, AeroGav said:

As you don't drive, the thing you might not realize is that even normal driving,   within speed limits, obeying the laws of the road,  keeping under 0.5g or whatever,  is  fascinating.     It is more complex than  any video game,  so much stuff going on,  so many cars and junctions to keep track of,  gear changing, rev matching,  an infinite map to explore.      If you really want to experiment with stuff that falls outside of those limits,  have a track day,  take an advanced driving course, go go-kart racing,  or just play GTA V

There are far more paranoia inducing things than insurance black boxes these days.   Automatic number plate recognition cameras everywhere,   any day you could get a "penalty charge" notice in the post, because you exceeded the speed limit by 1mph or  had 1 wheel in a bus lane for 1 second at 2 am when driving along an unfamiliar, poorly signposted road.     "Crash for Cash" fraud.   Every time you take your car in for its annual safety inspection and the garage tells you it needs an expensive repair to X,   do you trust them ? Etc.

Fun story about number plate registering, an new toll road came up and some smart redneck wanted to fool it he made an system to move his licence plate then passing the toll road. 
This worked well for many months until start of winter and you got lots of dirty sludgy snow. Now as licence plates are stamped this left an print of dirt on the front spoiler. And yes he had an easy recognizable and pretty unique car :)

On the other hand some malls now register your car number and you don't have to do anything if you stay less than 3 hours. (no not tested this, but as its lot of offices in the area they probably bill you) 

As for insurance black boxes, no it will be to expensive to install and potentially very dangerous as everybody speed a bit, in fact police recommend you following the flow in dense traffic not making gaps to not follow and drive 3 km/h above the speed limit and highway speed limits tend to be an joke. 
But if you end up in an pileup of no fault of your own as in hit in the rear you but you was driving 2 km/h above the speed limit on highway and making an queue you might have an problem. 
However the police is unlikely to request data from an car manufacturer unless its either an very serious accident or very spectacular like jumping on the center of an turnabout and end in an lake.
But yes its easier just post an video of you speeding on youtube. 

14 hours ago, AeroGav said:

TBH if I had an insurance black box I would have much more fun driving because I would be hella careful and it would become a whole thing.

14 hours ago, AeroGav said:

My jurisdiction only has one single car inspection site run 100% by the government.

It is annoying when you need to get your car inspected, yes, but it means you don't have to worry about getting scammed by a excrementsty tire-and-lube shop that will pretend you're failing just to drain you. And the inspection station is a half-hour wait at 6 AM. I assume it is worse during the day; I haven't tried.

There is a speed-trap camera in my city that made six figures in ONE MONTH last year. That is scary AF. I have driven quite a few moving trucks in my time, and speed governors are 100% BS. I hate them. "Hey, sorry, you hit 69 mph and so now we are going to cut the throttle."

On 12/28/2018 at 8:51 PM, sevenperforce said:

There is a speed-trap camera in my city that made six figures in ONE MONTH last year. That is scary AF. I have driven quite a few moving trucks in my time, and speed governors are 100% BS. I hate them. "Hey, sorry, you hit 69 mph and so now we are going to cut the throttle."

Unfortunately, most speed detectors aren't there for safety, they're there for making money.

On 12/25/2018 at 5:35 PM, Pawelk198604 said:

going to overtake some stupid slob who driving 60 km/h on 100 km/h highway and he would not have enough power to perform manoeuvre?

Power and speed aren't the same thing. Many speed governors will allow full engine power and full acceleration... right up until the speed limit, at which point your engine basically cuts off. Assuming a reasonable upper speed limit of about 150 km/h, the speed governor wouldn't do a darn thing in this scenario. The person "puts the pedal to the metal" and starts accelerating.... (s)he can accelerate to about 90 km/h relative to the person (s)he's trying to pass. That would take quite a while given the power of most cars anyway, and would be more than sufficient to pass.

Now if someone is going just a little to slow for you, its another issue, but still... governor speeds are usually substantially higher than typical speed limits, and certainly higher than any speed limit you'll encounter on a single lane road where you need to worry about oncoming traffic when overtaking someone.

So I think its a non-issue.

2 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Power and speed aren't the same thing. Many speed governors will allow full engine power and full acceleration... right up until the speed limit, at which point your engine basically cuts off. Assuming a reasonable upper speed limit of about 150 km/h, the speed governor wouldn't do a darn thing in this scenario. The person "puts the pedal to the metal" and starts accelerating.... (s)he can accelerate to about 90 km/h relative to the person (s)he's trying to pass. That would take quite a while given the power of most cars anyway, and would be more than sufficient to pass.

Now if someone is going just a little to slow for you, its another issue, but still... governor speeds are usually substantially higher than typical speed limits, and certainly higher than any speed limit you'll encounter on a single lane road where you need to worry about oncoming traffic when overtaking someone.

So I think its a non-issue.

I was referring to this  

I know that some companies also utilize this feature toward their employees using company cars.  

On 12/28/2018 at 11:51 PM, sevenperforce said:

That's what I'm talking about

11 minutes ago, Pawelk198604 said:

I was referring to this  

I know that some companies also utilize this feature toward their employees using company cars.  

That's what I'm talking about

That could be an issue at least if suddenly enabled if you want to do an bypass and the car feels muscular enough and while passing the car kind of throttle off and stabilizes. I would rather reduce horsepower as its make its less likely to try to do stunts and make the car more boring so they start saving for their own :)
On the other hand scooters in Norway is restricted to 45 km/h who is idiotic as the standard city speed limit is 50 so the old 55 in practice makes more sense simply to reduce number of dangerous bypasses. 
As employee tend to have to pay their own fines I don't see the issue with company cars. Not your issue if they speeds, if they have accidents yes that is another issue. 
And why block radio channels, that sounds real paranoid. 

2 hours ago, magnemoe said:

As employee tend to have to pay their own fines I don't see the issue with company cars.

You know who are registered for the number for company cars right ? In some jurisdiction the more your car has broken laws, the more expensive your insurance (and hence upkeep) gets. So having your companies car accumulate tickets is the worst idea ever.

Edited by YNM

3 minutes ago, YNM said:

You know who are registered for the number for company cars right ? In some jurisdiction the more your car has broken laws, the more expensive your insurance (and hence upkeep) gets. So having your companies car accumulate tickets is the worst idea ever.

Point, but it sounds pretty weird if insurance companies are required to raise insurance based on number of fines car owner get. This could easy become an total nightmare for companies with huge fleets like UPS. 
Fast turning into the employee has to lease the car from company  or other sort of sharecropping, you being an contractor not an employee is already far to common. 
But insurance companies might give reduced rates for companies who do this, even if I doubt it has much effect, most crashes happens at pretty low speed in dense traffic. because modern cars tend to be so expensive and fragile this is still expensive. Yes its exceptions still remember the pizza delivery van who had to do an left turn in an small  turnabout and ended up on the roof on the walkway :)
More skilled drivers than teens might also help. Expecting theoretical timetables to work during an blizzard is another, no they will fail if its raining or is Friday and have 25% chance of failing on any day who on "day" if very lucky. 

5 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Point, but it sounds pretty weird if insurance companies are required to raise insurance based on number of fines car owner get. This could easy become an total nightmare for companies with huge fleets like UPS. 

Well, I suppose you've heard it from the guys from the UK - this is far too much the reality.

(and no most crashes don't happen at "low speed" - crashes happens when you can't brake like this or when you're a moron like this. Though then in the UK you can only drink in a pub, but you can't drink to be wasted.)

Here in the province of British Columbia, the public auto insurance company ICBC (which is the only provider for basic auto insurance) is undergoing a "dumpster fire" of record losses (over $1 billion for the last fiscal year). This, a year after the old government sucked over $1 billion in "excess profits" from ICBC. Of course the new government didn't even consider giving that money back. So now we're facing big hikes in the insurance rates to try and cover the shortfall. The cause, aside from gov't raiding the piggy bank? Rising repair costs (all those radar systems, cameras and such in new cars), fraud, and too many crashes. Traffic is often congested, leading to frustration which results in risky maneuvers.

For my neck of the woods, the driveway for my townhouse complex exits on a busy four-lane (two each way) road (which is the main north-south artery in this city), just past an intersection. On the other side of that intersection is a mile of undeveloped green space under a triple run of long-distance power transmission lines. Needless to say, speeds often get excessive coming into that intersection, resulting in many red-light runners. So accidents are pretty common there; twice in the last year a car has hit the power pole on the corner, killing power to our complex for several hours and snarling traffic while crews replace the pole. )This year they are going to put in left turn lanes at that intersection (a year after repaving :rolleyes:) so traffic will be more of a mess. But that's beside the point). So needless to say, I'm quickly becoming a fan of red-light speed cameras.

As part of extinguishing the dumpster fire, the gov't is planning on more red-light and speed cameras (both average speed and point speed). Red-light cameras will be full-time (instead of rotating between locations, working as long as there's film) and will also operate as speed cameras regardless of the color of the light. Some people decry it as a cash grab, but if one follows the rules of the road it won't cost them anything. AFAIC, they should put these everywhere. Reduce crashes, with revenues going to ICBC to reduce rates (politicians probably won't do that, but that's how it should be).

On 12/28/2018 at 1:02 PM, magnemoe said:

As for insurance black boxes, no it will be to expensive to install

I just got a dashcam for Christmas, and would get a blackbox too (if available; apparently that's a pilot program here) when my teenage son starts driving. They don't have to be built-in, as I've heard that they (some, at least) simply plug into the OBD2 (diagnostic) port and stay there.

As for governors; the highway I take to work has a speed limit of 100km/h, and I often pass trucks with a sign saying it's governed to 90km/h. So of course we get other rigs passing them on our two-lane-each-way highway. It is being widened to three lanes, working their way out the valley, so it'll probably be a decade until three lanes reach here.

On 12/28/2018 at 7:32 AM, YNM said:

Holy crap, so you can't do emergency braking ?

If you are paying attention, that should rarely be needed. Besides, they shouldn't care if it happens once in a while, but if it's frequently required, then that driver isn't paying nearly enough attention.

On 12/28/2018 at 2:51 PM, sevenperforce said:

There is a speed-trap camera in my city that made six figures in ONE MONTH last year. That is scary

They had speed-cam vans here back in the 90's, and that was a cash grab, as they tended to be at the bottom of hills, and yeah, that system was a joke. But I'm sure that having speed/red-light cams at ALL intersections would lead to a huge reduction in insurance claims, since it seems that a majority of injury-causing crashes happen when someone trying to turn left on a yellow gets smoked by someone (who should have stopped) speeding through the intersection. Of course, if all cars drove autonomously and communicated with each other, that would also practically eliminate crashes.

8 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

If you are paying attention, that should rarely be needed. Besides, they shouldn't care if it happens once in a while, but if it's frequently required, then that driver isn't paying nearly enough attention.

Well, good to know.

Though I suppose installing a black box here is about as useful as installing fencing on the road/sidewalk : steel components guaranteed missing in 4 years (or faster). The road is just too packed with motorcycles, and I suppose it's impossible to entirely avoid jerking motions without avoiding hitting one of them or being in complete standstill (basically either be the most rad driver or stuck in a ditch).

On 12/26/2018 at 5:50 PM, Kerbart said:

MW loved advertising in the 70s and 80s with claims that all that horsepower was a “safety feature” just for the case lined out. I always smelled the bull manure coming off the pages when I saw those advertisements. Personally, I think that most situations where extra speed is needed to get out of an unsafe situation is caused by grave judgement errors (some might say “reckless driving”).

I also meant to add this link. Good book, should be required reading for new drivers. It's old, but still relevant. And relevant to the quote. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1802110.Hot_Rod

Edited by StrandedonEarth

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.