Need a spot of help here..

Numberyellow

So i've been away from KSP for a while. (Last version i was using was 1.2.2)...looks like it's been well over a year..

I stopped playing, because the memory leak, and poor optimization were making the game unplayable, and fighting the program, to maintain single digit, to mid-teen framerates was no longer fun.

So i hear with 1.6 they've plugged the memory leak, and fixed performance.. So i figure it's time to come back. i REALLY miss KSP.

Now to where i need help... Obviously the old version of the mods i was using aren't going to work, just for fun, i made a custom install that combined all of my old data, with the 1.6 game files, and when i launched it, it died while loading asset definitions. looked at the crash log, and the culprit was mono.dll. There were no crashes when launching vanilla 1.6, so it's definitely a problem with mod data.

Does anyone have any pointers on how to smoothly put together an updated version with mods? I'm having a hell of a time finding updated versions of my mods, that are compatible with 1.6

I must sound like an idiot...but it's been well over a year, and life's been kicking me in the ass.... i've forgotten how to do most of this stuff. Any help or advice you guys could provide would be much appreciated.

22 minutes ago, Numberyellow said:

Does anyone have any pointers on how to smoothly put together an updated version with mods? I'm having a hell of a time finding updated versions of my mods, that are compatible with 1.6 

You simply need to check them one at a time.  Keep in mind that 1.6 has only been out for a few days.  It's going to take a little while for the deluge of updates to come through.  If they have fairly recent updates, such as 1.4.x or 1.5.x, they may still work.  You will just have to check each thread to see if anyone's reporting them as working, and/or try them yourself.  I haven't done anything in 1.6 yet, but up through 1.5.1 the navball mod was still working, and its last reported update was 1.3.

There is no smooth, update-all method.  Even if there, I wouldn't use it.  Because if you update everything together, and the game won't start... which one did it?

Also note that pure-parts mods will mostly still work.  Wheels have had a major re-fit so none of them will work, and there were some changes to the aerodynamic model - but the latter doesn't affect most parts.  Pretty much everything else should work, if it's just 'import a part model with these specs'.  (Localization was also a major change, but it's opt-in, so older parts still work.)  So the main mods you need to look for are ones that use a DLL.

Managed to find the correct directories for everything, and i'm now going through my modlist, to get the most updated versions.. Good news is that based on threads i've been reading, most mods that worked with the last version, are having no issues with 1.6, so i guess that's pretty cool.

I still think it might be worth it for people to release mods over at nexusmods as well...their mod manager is REALLY good, as it keeps mods up to date, and gives you the ability to easily enable and disable them, for troubleshooting.

With any luck, within another day or two, i might actually be able to play again. If i have trouble finding anything, i'll be sure to come back here and ask. between the passage of time, and that huge forum apocalypse we had a ways back, many things are missing..

23 hours ago, Numberyellow said:

I still think it might be worth it for people to release mods over at nexusmods as well...their mod manager is REALLY good, as it keeps mods up to date, and gives you the ability to easily enable and disable them, for troubleshooting.

For most, that would be a *third* avenue of release, and one that doesn't support all the platforms that KSP is available on.  (And may not support the platform they play on.)  CKAN gets enough flack, I doubt this will gain traction.  ;)

I've always had positive experiences with their manager..

Anyway, i found the latest versions of all the mods i was using in my build....problem is that some of them are throwing warnings that they're not compatible with 1.6....which is to be expected. So i suppose i'll hafta wait a little longer for updated versions, because half of my crafts won't work without the mods.

Another issue i'm experiencing is some mods are malfunctioning....like Proximity flat out doesn't work.. The part is still there, but the functionality is not, and It's button won't even show up on the toolbar.  totaltime will not update the time, it will not save the time to the file, and it will not retain settings between application launches.

Also, ModuleManager found a number of errors (yellow), though i have no idea how to identify what they were...

Despite all that, the game does launch, and run, and some of my craft still work, and flying is still fun. i just hope everything gets updated soon, so i can get back to building.

I've heard good things about Nexus mod manager, and wouldn't want to dispute that - But I can't run it, since it's Windows-only from what I can tell, and there's going to be a fair share of other KSP players who can't run it either.  So supporting it would just be more overhead and hassle (even if it's minimal) for mod authors.

The MM errors are listed in the KSP.log file if you're interested in tracking them down for mod authors.  In most cases they'll be because MM started throwing errors and ignoring some syntax instead of silently ignoring the syntax - which means the actual behavior of the patches hasn't changed, it's just that MM is telling you about it now.  (The main culprit has been multiple FOR/BEFORE/AFTER blocks, which all declare what order the patch should be applied in. Since a patch is only being applied once, having multiples doesn't make any sense, but was fairly common as people had trouble understanding what was going on.)  If the errors are yellow they can be ignored if you want.

ok, if yellow isn't anything to worry about, i probably won't spend too much time tracking them down.

Yeah, i know NMM, and it's successor, Vortex are windows only....but i think that's primarily because the vast majority of people playing the games it supports, are playing them on windows...

Any ideas what might be making proximity and total time sperg out?

I'd say the games it supports are Windows-only, except that I play some of them and find myself locked out of some mods because of it...

As for Proximity and Total Time - check to make sure you've got the latest version (and that there hasn't been a new maintainer) and that the version you have is for 1.6.  If it's not for 1.6, likely it's just that the mod loads but is broken in the new version - you either need to wait for an update of the mod, or look in to updating it yourself.   Or look for another mod that does something similar, but is updated.

I know Total Time is being maintained by LinuxGuruGamer, and he hasn't updated it for 1.6 yet.  (However, I was seeing that issue under 1.5 - I just was having enough *other* issues with my 1.5 install that I didn't track it down to report it.)  I don't see a current maintainer for Proximity.

I just realized.... a lot of my craft are inaccessible, because they rely on KAX.....which i didn't download, because i couldn't find a recent version.. But i see the project has been handed over to another maintainer, and there will be a release soon, so that's good.

I haven't been able to find another mod that does what proximity did.. I really hope either biff comes back and updates, or someone like linuxguru can get permission to bring it back. I really need that mod.

• 2 weeks later...

So i caved, and called up LGG....he fixed Proximity, i playtested it, amd he re-released it. One less mod i hafta worry about.

And Lisias finally released the new version of KAX, so that was cool. but now other mods are screaming for attention. I need to do some more updates.

Once everything works again, i'm planning to start up a thread, showcasing my creations, and the stories i wrote to go with them.. A buddy of mine here said my stuff was good, and that i should share it. so i think i will.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.