Jatwaa

Kudo's on this awesome beauty.  Normally I stick to realistic or at least experimental drives, but I've been sad that no one has truly taken the star trek design approach.  I am no modder and have no idea how to even consider doing it, but........ possible suggestion for a future release........... Star Trek Discovery Spore Drive................ you know what....... possible future release (begging) for any mod author................ near copyright violation (just shy of for safety sake) star trek parts............... any and all variants if anyone is so inclined and has time..... lmao.  I can see myself using this mod a LOT for my longer hauls along side KSPIE, Near Future, etc.  Adding in beamed power to the idea of this drive to me just makes sense regardless of realism. :P

• 2 weeks later...

@StoneWolfPC Do you have a screenshot of the Spore Drive? All I could find was clips from the show, but none showing what the module looks like. If your talking about the jumping, a plugin would have to be written for that, probably outside the scope of this mod.

As far as Star Trek Ship parts, I was thinking about building up some to match the nx parts I've made so far.

Heres a screenshot of the current version of the engine nacelles.

Includes NX-01, NCC (Original), and NCC Alt (from ST Discovery)

Spoiler

eng-nccb.PNG

Edited by arkolis

10 hours ago, arkolis said:

@StoneWolfPC Do you have a screenshot of the Spore Drive? All I could find was clips from the show, but none showing what the module looks like. If your talking about the jumping, a plugin would have to be written for that, probably outside the scope of this mod.

As far as Star Trek Ship parts, I was thinking about building up some to match the nx parts I've made so far.

Heres a screenshot of the current version of the engine nacelles.

Includes NX-01, NCC (Original), and NCC Alt (from ST Discovery)

Reveal hidden contents

eng-nccb.PNG

Give me some time and I will look for some shots.  I am due to rewatch season 1 and 2 again soon, so will have ample time to grab a couple screens.  I'm sure it'll actually be outside the range of THIS mod, sadly, but I would LOVE if someone either did it........... or taught me how to code so I could do it myself (if I knew how, I wouldn't be asking :P)  And those nacelles btw, they look absolutely stunning!  I saw that someone had made an entire list of star trek parts if I can ever find the link for it, but it's way outdated.  I'm sure the amount of effort that would go into the texturing for what I'm thinking of would take someone with a lot of spare time, knowledge, and be as big of a star trek fan as I am to boot. :P  I love all of the series.  I'm actually more fond of Discovery and Enterprise than I thought I would be.  If I had the skills needed.......... I have the spare time to do it all and the computer to handle it.  I just have no idea where to start and when I do try to learn I end up giving up because without guidance and someone showing me how to actually make something that works, I feel like I'm wasting time and get bored. :P

5 hours ago, StoneWolfPC said:

Give me some time and I will look for some shots.  I am due to rewatch season 1 and 2 again soon, so will have ample time to grab a couple screens.  I'm sure it'll actually be outside the range of THIS mod, sadly, but I would LOVE if someone either did it........... or taught me how to code so I could do it myself (if I knew how, I wouldn't be asking :P)  And those nacelles btw, they look absolutely stunning!  I saw that someone had made an entire list of star trek parts if I can ever find the link for it, but it's way outdated.  I'm sure the amount of effort that would go into the texturing for what I'm thinking of would take someone with a lot of spare time, knowledge, and be as big of a star trek fan as I am to boot. :P  I love all of the series.  I'm actually more fond of Discovery and Enterprise than I thought I would be.  If I had the skills needed.......... I have the spare time to do it all and the computer to handle it.  I just have no idea where to start and when I do try to learn I end up giving up because without guidance and someone showing me how to actually make something that works, I feel like I'm wasting time and get bored. :P

W3schools is probably one of my most used resources, helped me learn css, html, and some c# and they have a lot more than that now. Stack Exchange for unity3d or .Net/c# is another good source for c# stuff. Python is what everyone's using for non game related stuff these days.

As far as KSP goes, it was easier than I thought to get back into it. Just have to iterate a few times to get working, find out what I can't do and model/texture away.

As far as Texturing goes I'm more rusty than I thought, probably ask some of the other modders some tricks if they are in a sharing mood.

As far as Modeling, I've been doing that since 2006, and its all about how comfortable you are with 3d. Some people use sketchup, I use blender, doesn't matter that much only matters that you make clean meshes. The cleaner the mesh the better it runs in anything.

As far as the list goes for the star trek parts if you can find that please share, I have been looking into building a full nx-01 and ncc body to go along with those engines, probably release them separately so I don't overload Jatwaa's release page with something that doesn't have to do with engines.

9 hours ago, StoneWolfPC said:

Ark is MUCH better than I am at this. I basically just do some modding on the side when I get bored. There is also a modding discord for KSP, they have been invaluable in helping me sort things out. 

6 hours ago, arkolis said:

W3schools is probably one of my most used resources, helped me learn css, html, and some c# and they have a lot more than that now. Stack Exchange for unity3d or .Net/c# is another good source for c# stuff. Python is what everyone's using for non game related stuff these days.

As far as KSP goes, it was easier than I thought to get back into it. Just have to iterate a few times to get working, find out what I can't do and model/texture away.

As far as Texturing goes I'm more rusty than I thought, probably ask some of the other modders some tricks if they are in a sharing mood.

As far as Modeling, I've been doing that since 2006, and its all about how comfortable you are with 3d. Some people use sketchup, I use blender, doesn't matter that much only matters that you make clean meshes. The cleaner the mesh the better it runs in anything.

As far as the list goes for the star trek parts if you can find that please share, I have been looking into building a full nx-01 and ncc body to go along with those engines, probably release them separately so I don't overload Jatwaa's release page with something that doesn't have to do with engines.

I've used ww3 for basic html.  I can design an extremely basic website, and I understand at least most of what I'm looking at concerning it now, but as I go farther than that, my brain fries and I get overwhelmed.  I get a plan of what I want in my head, and starting at basics doesn't work for that half the time lmfao.  I'm a hardware guy, I can build pc's and repair them in my sleep (many times even hardware issues most people can't fix) because it's all starting at the basics....... unplug it, plug it back in. lmao.  But I appreciate it!  I may eventually get my head in the game enough to give it a real go.  My other issue would be texture creation as I'm far from an artist.  I managed a T-shirt and port for sims 3, and then over to sims 4.......... and even that didn't look so good............. But it was symmetrical, and looked like a t-shirt (mostly).  Yeah, I want to try, I just don't have the drive to dig in at the moment.  Being a dad is full time and this kind of thing breaks my focus on him sometimes more than I want it to. lol. 

4 hours ago, Jatwaa said:

Ark is MUCH better than I am at this. I basically just do some modding on the side when I get bored. There is also a modding discord for KSP, they have been invaluable in helping me sort things out. 

Thank you very much! Any chance you have a link to that discord? I've been trying to locate one but all I ever find is ones for specific mods.

20 minutes ago, StoneWolfPC said:

I've used ww3 for basic html.  I can design an extremely basic website, and I understand at least most of what I'm looking at concerning it now, but as I go farther than that, my brain fries and I get overwhelmed.  I get a plan of what I want in my head, and starting at basics doesn't work for that half the time lmfao.  I'm a hardware guy, I can build pc's and repair them in my sleep (many times even hardware issues most people can't fix) because it's all starting at the basics....... unplug it, plug it back in. lmao.  But I appreciate it!  I may eventually get my head in the game enough to give it a real go.  My other issue would be texture creation as I'm far from an artist.  I managed a T-shirt and port for sims 3, and then over to sims 4.......... and even that didn't look so good............. But it was symmetrical, and looked like a t-shirt (mostly).  Yeah, I want to try, I just don't have the drive to dig in at the moment.  Being a dad is full time and this kind of thing breaks my focus on him sometimes more than I want it to. lol. 

Depending on their age it might be better to do modding cooperatively with your kids, learn together. I knew some people that did this with their kids and ended up selling assets for a while to build up for the kids college. I would recommend learning low poly modeling first before moving up to the high poly stuff, just so get a good grasp on the design. I can pm you some youtube channels if you want to start with blender. 

So if your comparing programming to hardware, power is the main class, OS would be your startup functions and libraries, and anything in between would be functions. Thats super super basic but will allow basic understanding when looking at code. So in c# in unity your main class will be a monobehavior (not sure what KSP's classes are based on), thats your power to start from. Your primary update function will be the OS, anything you need to call within a certain time will be within this. Anything your program needs to do that only fires once will be additional functions. Hopefully that makes sense, I started in hardware and slowly worked my way to software.

15 hours ago, arkolis said:

Depending on their age it might be better to do modding cooperatively with your kids, learn together. I knew some people that did this with their kids and ended up selling assets for a while to build up for the kids college. I would recommend learning low poly modeling first before moving up to the high poly stuff, just so get a good grasp on the design. I can pm you some youtube channels if you want to start with blender. 

So if your comparing programming to hardware, power is the main class, OS would be your startup functions and libraries, and anything in between would be functions. Thats super super basic but will allow basic understanding when looking at code. So in c# in unity your main class will be a monobehavior (not sure what KSP's classes are based on), thats your power to start from. Your primary update function will be the OS, anything you need to call within a certain time will be within this. Anything your program needs to do that only fires once will be additional functions. Hopefully that makes sense, I started in hardware and slowly worked my way to software.

Makes perfect sense.  Back in high school (class of 01) I learned q basic.  I've forgotten all but if then statements.  >.< lmao.  It helped I had a commodore 128 that ran off q +.  lmao.  I have ADD and ADHD so my brain will actually try moving too fast.  Please do pm me those youtube's I think I'm going to give it a real go soon.  My son is 5, and his birthday is too late for kindergarten this year so not quite ready for that.  He still doesn't have the coordination for keyboard and mouse just yet but is slowly getting there.  He can handle a touch screen though. lol.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/27/2018 at 7:41 PM, Jatwaa said:

PURE Electric Engines

You wanted electric engines without needing additional fuels, now you have them. This set of engines allows you to go FULL GREEN and only use Batteries and/or Solar power. 

The basic engines have thrust based on the stock engine. 

• EC1 "Pure"
    •  Max Thrust = 25
    • Size = 0.625
    • Comparable to Juno
  • EC2 "PsyOclone"
    • Max Thrust = 80 (125)
    • Size = 1.25
    • Normal & Performance modes (afterburner) 
    • Comparable to Panther
  • EC3 "Manleneto"
    • Max Thrust = 100 (170)
    • Size = 1.25
    • Atmospheric & ExtrAtospheric modes (orbital)
    • Comparable to Rapier
  • EC4 "ElecTrek"
    • Max Thrust = 200 (400)
    • Size = 1.25
    • Comparable to Rapier (Star Trek Nacelles) 
  • EC5 "ElecTrek Heavy"
    • Max Thrust = 300 (620)
    • Size = 2.5
    • Comparable to Rapier (Star Trek Nacelles)

BmT69XK.png

bgdkBzU.png

https://spacedock.info/mod/1998/Pure Electric Engines

License: MIT 

Soo I am getting a bug where once I am in space...my ship starts tilting backwards...but in atmosphere its super stable plz help

Edited by MutentX

They're slightly overpowered, I agree with setting them to end game items, I attached a Manleneto to a massive rocket I was building and I was able to escape the atmosphere within a few seconds, after a few minutes I was leaving the solar system and was soon entering deep space lol. 

1 hour ago, Erenoth02 said:

They're slightly overpowered, I agree with setting them to end game items, I attached a Manleneto to a massive rocket I was building and I was able to escape the atmosphere within a few seconds, after a few minutes I was leaving the solar system and was soon entering deep space lol. 

Hahahaha that's awesome. Ok, i will set them to endgame. Maybe make a light version for earlier. More hungry and less powerful.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the overpowering.  I love your mod though regardless, but I've found myself using it and only it for engines, because............. well they're the only engines I can currently reach deep space with and NOT run out of DV....... using KSPInterstellarExtended, and NearFuture mods for electrical...................... yeah it's almost (not quite because at a certain point you still run out of power) a cheat.  Anyway...........

I found this today on CKAN, thought you might be inspired to make some serious borg ship textures with it?  If so, please please let me know! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Jatwaa said:

Really? I had it installed earlier and it was fine. Let me check. Is it all parts?

Yeah still works for me. What parts seem to be missing textures?

• 2 weeks later...

@Jatwaa - so. I've been fiddling around with this, because the whole "MJ won't calculate proper burns" thing was annoying the hell out of me. It took me a while, but I hit upon a solution that (roughly) keeps your intended balance while fixing the issue with MJ and possibly making the patch for ElectricCharge unnecessary.

I modified the following in EC6.cfg (the TeeslaKannon):

Spoiler

RESOURCE
	{
		name = spACE
		amount = 100
		maxAmount = 100
	}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = ElectricCharge
		amount = 1000
		maxAmount = 1000
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleGenerator
		isAlwaysActive = true

INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = ElectricCharge
			Ratio = 0.0001
			FlowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW
		}

OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			name = spACE
			rate = 100
			DumpExcess = false
		}
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleEnginesFX
		thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform
		exhaustDamage = False
		ignitionThreshold = 0.1
		minThrust = 0
		maxThrust = 1357
		heatProduction = 0
		fxOffset = 0, 0, 1.5
		EngineType = Electric
		flameoutEffectName = flameout
		powerEffectName = running_thrust_Perf
		runningEffectName = running_turbine_Perf
		engageEffectName = engage
		disengageEffectName = disengage
		spoolEffectName = running_thrust

PROPELLANT
		{
			name = ElectricCharge
			ratio = 1025
		}
		PROPELLANT
		{
			name = spACE
			ratio = 1
		}
		atmosphereCurve
		{
			key = 0 138328
			key = 1 118567
			key = 9 0.001
		}
	}

Changed the definition of ACE to the following (unit cost can probably go to 0 - messing with that was part of some misguided troubleshooting that turned out to be stupidity on my part):

Spoiler

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = spACE
  displayName = Accelerated Counter Emmissions
  abbreviation = ACE
  density = 0.001
  unitCost = 0.1
  flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
  transfer = PUMP
  isTweakable = true
  isVisible = true
  hsp = 3000
  volume = 1
}

And removed the patch for ElectricCharge, since it's no longer needed (at least, for this engine - I'm not sure why it's there in the first place, and there may be another reason for it. I'm sure I broke something unintentionally...)

Long-winded explanation of what I did below:

Spoiler

Based on what I found while looking around, you can figure out your Isp for electric thrusters by plugging your Thrust (in kN) and fuel density (for spACE, in this case) into the following equation:

Isp = <thrust> / (9.81 * <fuel density>)

... which is a massive simplification of all the equations I did find, since everyone wants to explain the theory behind it AND use a bunch of very precise terms (which is usually good, but frustrating when you mostly know what it means, you're tired, and you just want to plug in some numbers because it's making your head hurt :V)

Leave the consumption of your fuel (spACE) at a ratio of 1, change the EC consumption to the amount/second you desire, and Bob's your Kerbal. You consume 1 unit of fuel/second, and whatever amount of EC/s you specify (give or take - it's actually showing 1025.383 or something, and I seem to recall it being 1023.something before.) Stick on a generator for the fuel, and you

To get the ASL Isp, I just multiplied by 6/7 (or 120/140, which were the original ASL/Vac ISP values). I may actually divide the density of spACE by 10 and multiply the Isp values given by 10, which should give me a decent-looking buffer on my current craft (1 engine, ~106t, 1270 m/s dV currently - 12700 would cover pretty much any intended burns I might do, and keep MJ from going into the red.)

Additionally, this would further reduce the impact of ACE on ship mass - currently 100 units weighs 100kg. It has to have SOME mass, but you can probably keep it as low as possible - bump the storage down to 5 or 2 units or so (I wouldn't go lower than 2, and feel like 5 would be smart just to cover physics hiccups where you might run your tank dry between ticks) and give it even less mass. Maybe something to play with next time I restart the game. I'm not restarting again for a while, because I've spent WAY too long messing with this...

Side note - the mounted RCS thrusters (the TN-E, I think?) don't work for me when I try to do translation with them. :(

But looking at them is what gave me the inspiration to use ACE since it's already in the mod and only seems to be used on those thrusters. :P

16 hours ago, etmoonshade said:

@Jatwaa - so. I've been fiddling around with this, because the whole "MJ won't calculate proper burns" thing was annoying the hell out of me. It took me a while, but I hit upon a solution that (roughly) keeps your intended balance while fixing the issue with MJ and possibly making the patch for ElectricCharge unnecessary.

I modified the following in EC6.cfg (the TeeslaKannon):

Hide contents

RESOURCE
	{
		name = spACE
		amount = 100
		maxAmount = 100
	}

RESOURCE
	{
		name = ElectricCharge
		amount = 1000
		maxAmount = 1000
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleGenerator
		isAlwaysActive = true

INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = ElectricCharge
			Ratio = 0.0001
			FlowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW
		}

OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			name = spACE
			rate = 100
			DumpExcess = false
		}
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleEnginesFX
		thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform
		exhaustDamage = False
		ignitionThreshold = 0.1
		minThrust = 0
		maxThrust = 1357
		heatProduction = 0
		fxOffset = 0, 0, 1.5
		EngineType = Electric
		flameoutEffectName = flameout
		powerEffectName = running_thrust_Perf
		runningEffectName = running_turbine_Perf
		engageEffectName = engage
		disengageEffectName = disengage
		spoolEffectName = running_thrust

PROPELLANT
		{
			name = ElectricCharge
			ratio = 1025
		}
		PROPELLANT
		{
			name = spACE
			ratio = 1
		}
		atmosphereCurve
		{
			key = 0 138328
			key = 1 118567
			key = 9 0.001
		}
	}

Changed the definition of ACE to the following (unit cost can probably go to 0 - messing with that was part of some misguided troubleshooting that turned out to be stupidity on my part):

Hide contents

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
  name = spACE
  displayName = Accelerated Counter Emmissions
  abbreviation = ACE
  density = 0.001
  unitCost = 0.1
  flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
  transfer = PUMP
  isTweakable = true
  isVisible = true
  hsp = 3000
  volume = 1
}

And removed the patch for ElectricCharge, since it's no longer needed (at least, for this engine - I'm not sure why it's there in the first place, and there may be another reason for it. I'm sure I broke something unintentionally...)

Long-winded explanation of what I did below:

Reveal hidden contents

Based on what I found while looking around, you can figure out your Isp for electric thrusters by plugging your Thrust (in kN) and fuel density (for spACE, in this case) into the following equation:

Isp = <thrust> / (9.81 * <fuel density>)

... which is a massive simplification of all the equations I did find, since everyone wants to explain the theory behind it AND use a bunch of very precise terms (which is usually good, but frustrating when you mostly know what it means, you're tired, and you just want to plug in some numbers because it's making your head hurt :V)

Leave the consumption of your fuel (spACE) at a ratio of 1, change the EC consumption to the amount/second you desire, and Bob's your Kerbal. You consume 1 unit of fuel/second, and whatever amount of EC/s you specify (give or take - it's actually showing 1025.383 or something, and I seem to recall it being 1023.something before.) Stick on a generator for the fuel, and you

To get the ASL Isp, I just multiplied by 6/7 (or 120/140, which were the original ASL/Vac ISP values). I may actually divide the density of spACE by 10 and multiply the Isp values given by 10, which should give me a decent-looking buffer on my current craft (1 engine, ~106t, 1270 m/s dV currently - 12700 would cover pretty much any intended burns I might do, and keep MJ from going into the red.)

Additionally, this would further reduce the impact of ACE on ship mass - currently 100 units weighs 100kg. It has to have SOME mass, but you can probably keep it as low as possible - bump the storage down to 5 or 2 units or so (I wouldn't go lower than 2, and feel like 5 would be smart just to cover physics hiccups where you might run your tank dry between ticks) and give it even less mass. Maybe something to play with next time I restart the game. I'm not restarting again for a while, because I've spent WAY too long messing with this...

Side note - the mounted RCS thrusters (the TN-E, I think?) don't work for me when I try to do translation with them. :(

But looking at them is what gave me the inspiration to use ACE since it's already in the mod and only seems to be used on those thrusters. :P

ACE was around because RCS thrusters couldn't use EC in the way I wanted, just wanted pure EC to generate the thrust, RCS is like "nah". So I created ACE to work as a stand in till I could figure it out. The game does NOT like me using EC only since no density and it breaks logic I suppose. The EC patch actually makes EC viable as a fuel source with a minor, albeit nonsensical edit. A funny technicality, its actually the same as EVA pack fuel. But RCS still refuses thus far to use it. I was planning an update soon with new engines and toys, so, I maaay look back into it.

10 minutes ago, Jatwaa said:

ACE was around because RCS thrusters couldn't use EC in the way I wanted, just wanted pure EC to generate the thrust, RCS is like "nah". So I created ACE to work as a stand in till I could figure it out. The game does NOT like me using EC only since no density and it breaks logic I suppose. The EC patch actually makes EC viable as a fuel source with a minor, albeit nonsensical edit. A funny technicality, its actually the same as EVA pack fuel. But RCS still refuses thus far to use it. I was planning an update soon with new engines and toys, so, I maaay look back into it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the density thing - as far as I can tell, KSP wants to determine a fuel flow from Isp, thrust, and density, and it just goes :confused: when you end up with something that dumps a 0 into the equation.

Another thing you may consider is giving ElectricCharge a very small density using that patch, although that has far more of a risk of borking things. I know that the CommunityResourcePack uses a density value of 0.00000008990 for Hydrogen and it doesn't cause any problems with the game engine though, so you may be able to get away with that - 0.000 000 001kg would add what, micrograms per EC? Which is low enough that it'll barely have an effect, but I think it'd require disgustingly high Isp values to compensate.

If you decide to go for using regenerating ACE to provide some sort of fuel for the main engines, you're welcome to use the configs I hacked together. I've been using them for a day now (and actually applied the same to the airionizer engine and the other .625m one that I can't remember the name of, EC8 I think?) and I've run into no issues at all. Other than weird instability because I keep making my craft too short. :V

If you're fiddling with stuff, I'd love to see a 4-way or 5-way RCS block based on this; triply so if it's tweakscale-able.

Edited by etmoonshade
Added suggestion about giving EC a very tiny density.

21 hours ago, etmoonshade said:

If you're fiddling with stuff, I'd love to see a 4-way or 5-way RCS block based on this; triply so if it's tweakscale-able.

RCSs are easily added to TweakScale with something like this:

@PART[the-partname-you-want]:NEEDS[TweakScale]
{
	#@TWEAKSCALEBEHAVIOR[Engine]/MODULE[TweakScale] { }
	%MODULE[TweakScale]
	{
		type = free
	}
}

Works for almost every RCS radially attachable. If the thing is a block to be stacked up, use:

@PART[the-partname-you-want]:NEEDS[TweakScale]
{
	#@TWEAKSCALEBEHAVIOR[Engine]/MODULE[TweakScale] { }
	%MODULE[TweakScale]
	{
		type = stack
		defaultScale = <size-of-the-part> // Check the bulkheadProfiles, and choose the bigger one. size1 = 1.25, size2 = 2.5, etc
	}
}

Stacks are terribly sensible to the defaultScale, please, please don't mess it up - really use the right value.

On the other hand, if you don't give a piece of paper :P to standards and only want to have fun scaling things (hey, I do it sometimes too, ok? Your game, your rules), give All-Tweak a shot.

Quick&Dirty TweakScale support for everything - no strings (or rules) attached. And it works fine most of the time - some really exoteric parts will fail on it, but... No risk, no gain. :)  
But you need to keep something on mind: your savegames will not be compatible with anyone else's KSP, neither with your owns if you install "proper" TweakScale support later for something (check the TweakScale Companion Program, by the way, I'm adding support for a lot of things latelly).

Edited by Lisias
Forum's editor bit me.