Kerpollo - A Complete Science Mode Run In 9 Acts

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

Until this day, I never considered taking a space plane to Duna and leaving it in orbit :D

Well.... someone went and made it a requirement! BTW, you made me jealous.... so I installed KER :)

Edited by zanie420

1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

I fully expected you to leave a little orbiter and land the plane. Would have been within the rules :)

I suppose I could have left my Ikepollo lander is orbit of Duna and landed the plane. Still would have had to redock, but it WOULD have been easier! But I got away with it... barely. The Dunapollo lander was a sort of practice for my Evepollo ascent. I made it hard on purpose :)  Eve is not going to make anything easier for me is she??

Evepollo is done! Something happened to my landing gear placement on the way down from LKO and I had to crash land. Didn't lose much of the ship and all the crew and data made it fine! The video is probably going to be on the longer side......

https://imgur.com/a/PZY4wKg

Edited by zanie420

I've completed Dunpollo but haven't edited it. Not sure when I'll get time but hopefully tonight. I got complacent doing these one-and-done missions and didn't plan very well, but salvaged it in the end all the same. Let's just say I'm glad I never said the orbiter and lander had to arrive at their target world docked together, because when you have 3 things and they each have 1 docking port...

Edited by 5thHorseman

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

but salvaged it in the end all the same

Been there.... as you will soon see :)  I only need to get the subtitles done on Evepollo, hopefully another hour and I will be uploading it. Almost comes to 9 min, sorry, but I think I sped up my last video TOO much! I plan to use the rest of today to plan and maybe even launch Joolpollo! Wish me luck.

Evepollo video is up, and I must say I am thrilled to have done it!

Spoiler

Aside from the aforementioned crash landing, everything went according to plan and I am setting my sights on Jool!

32 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

And, finished!

Nice! I enjoyed reviewing your log.

Looks like some of you have finished the challenge already, and I haven't even started.  I'm still busy finishing my Duna Outpost Mission Architecture submission.  No matter, I love science missions, and this challenge looks like heaps of fun, so I'm in.  Will be back in a week of two with my submission.

@5thHorseman, just for clarification on rules:  "You may use one lander to land on multiple worlds in the longer missions, and the same orbiter to orbit multiple worlds. However you do not have to."  For my multi-world missions I would have two craft A and B.  On some worlds A is the lander and B is the orbiter.  On other worlds, visa versa, B is the lander and A stays in orbit.  OK?

2 minutes ago, jinnantonix said:

@5thHorseman, just for clarification on rules:  "You may use one lander to land on multiple worlds in the longer missions, and the same orbiter to orbit multiple worlds. However you do not have to."  For my multi-world missions I would have two craft A and B.  On some worlds A is the lander and B is the orbiter.  On other worlds, visa versa, B is the lander and A stays in orbit.  OK?

I did that for Vall, albeit accidentally, and no objections were raised, so I'm pretty sure you should be fine.

14 hours ago, jinnantonix said:

Yes that's fine. As Steve said:

14 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I did that for Vall, albeit accidentally, and no objections were raised, so I'm pretty sure you should be fine.

Basically you need an orbiter and you need a lander. So long as you have both at each world, cool. you can even have more things. My Evepollo mission  (which I just finished, see below) brought a little satellite to scan both Gilly and Eve for ore. My Joolollo mission will likely have one as well.

I updated the rules to be more precise.

-----------

An update for my own self: If it weren't for the fact that the video is specifically to prove that I completed Evepollo, I'd never, ever give away the ending because it. is. a. nail-biter. Both my most successful Eve lander ever and the closest margins I've ever had (and succeeded with, at least).

I've got the video to make, still, and woo boy I can't wait for you to see it. Likely not ready until tomorrow at best.

Edited by 5thHorseman

5 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

An update for my own self: If it weren't for the fact that the video is specifically to prove that I completed Evepollo, I'd never, ever give away the ending because it. is. a. nail-biter. Both my most successful Eve lander ever and the closest margins I've ever had (and succeeded with, at least).

I very much overbuilt my Eve lander and was glad for it! Turns out I over-engineered my Tylo lander as well! I only had Pol left to finish last night before I got too tired to play anymore, so doing that now. I should have my Joolpollo video up today and will have officially completed the challenge :) Looking forward to your hyped up video @5thHorseman!

52 minutes ago, zanie420 said:

Been lazy. Joolpollo video is done but not subtitled.... will get on it now. Hey @5thHorseman, have you made a badge for this?

Kind of. I have a vector version of the image on the first post that I could make badge sized. Is there an officially recommended badge size?

6 hours ago, zanie420 said:

Kerpollo is completed! I need another challenge....

And very well completed it was! I hope to have a badge-sized image tomorrow.

Welcome, to the finish line! I'll be joining you there shortly. Or longly, I've not even started designing yet.

Kerpollo is completed! I need another challenge....

Well done.  Try Duna Outpost Mission Architecture  - that will keep you busy for a while.

Welcome, to the finish line! I'll be joining you there shortly

I am just starting now, and will be going 100% stock, no mods, not even visuals.  My intention is to try to design each mission in the spirit of NASAs Apollo program, and design the rocketry the way Werner Von Braun would.  So executing similar to the DasDunaProjekt Challenge.  I am just doing Munpollo now, and even though I have only unlocked a small part of the tech tree, I have an Apollo CSM , LM and Saturn V (-ish) components, and will run the mission Apollo style, and since I don't have docking ports yet, I will just EVA instead, and discard the LM at the Mun.

After a couple of false starts, here is Kerpollo and Munpollo completed.  Initially I did some minimal runway science  to open up some tech, then did  a Kerbin polar orbit.  The science points from this opened up enough tech to do the Mun mission.  Needed to be pretty creative to mimic Apollo, but it worked OK, the craft were very reliable and i had tons of dV.  I collected some extra science by using storage containers, and gathering fly-by , orbital and suborbital science, with lots of EVA reports while in polar orbit around Mun.  >1000 points!,  enough to open the whole next tier.  Check it out.

Edited by jinnantonix

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.