Kerpollo - A Complete Science Mode Run In 9 Acts

On 1/18/2019 at 9:33 PM, jinnantonix said:

I am just starting now, and will be going 100% stock, no mods, not even visuals.  My intention is to try to design each mission in the spirit of NASAs Apollo program, and design the rocketry the way Werner Von Braun would.  So executing similar to the DasDunaProjekt Challenge.  I am just doing Munpollo now, and even though I have only unlocked a small part of the tech tree, I have an Apollo CSM , LM and Saturn V (-ish) components, and will run the mission Apollo style, and since I don't have docking ports yet, I will just EVA instead, and discard the LM at the Mun.

Very cool first steps. I like how you're doing "More Kerpollo than Kerpollo" :)

I look forward to seeing that crazy Minmus rocket in flight!

I like how you're doing "More Kerpollo than Kerpollo" 

Well you did say "challenge yourself".  Further to this,  I am including three Kerbals, and using the M.E.M. stock lander on all missions, also I am planning all interplanetary missions to provide artificial  gravity (centrifugal force) by rotating the craft so the Kerbals are comfortable, and able to play checkers during the flight. The craft design will be a mix of classic Apollo CSM + LM, and the below concept which I saw in the movie Astronaut: The Last Push

979Idpe.jpg

I look forward to seeing that crazy Minmus rocket in flight!

"Crazy?", Werner von Kerman would be insulted.  Anyway test flights are very promising.  Which is good, because I expect to use this launcher for the next few missions.

Edited by jinnantonix

Drespollo mission is under way, spoilers below.  

Spoiler

In order to support the crew on an interplanetary journey, the CSM now includes a Hitchhiker.  Stage 3 has added fuel capacity to provide the dV to get to Dres.  An artificial gravity system is added.  To handle the extra payload, the Saturn-V A launch vehicle from the Minpollo mission is beefed up with Mainsail engines on stage 1, allowing full orbital insertion by the end of stage 2.  

DbsCxK5.png

The Saturn-V B launching from the KSC.

SX5ye52.png

Above is the Command Pod, CSM and Lander arriving at Dres.  The rotation is stopped and the Command Pod is oriented so that the crew are comfortable with the lateral force during deceleration into Dres orbit. 

In accordance with Werner Von Kerman's vision, to save fuel, the main craft is place in highly elliptical orbit - the MEM lander has some extra fuel to orient to polar orbit, decelerate into low orbit, collect orbital science, land to collect surface science, launch into equatorial orbit and rendezvous again with the main craft  in high orbit.

Drespollo video is pending

Draft Kerpollo program:

• Drespollo to be completed, confirming basic mission design and schedule.
  • Eelollo is expected to use exactly the same craft, adding new science instruments.
  • Mohollo will upgrade the craft to Saturn-V C to include Stage 3 and 4 upgrading to NERVA atomic engines, to provide improved ISP (efficiency) and more delta-V.
  • The multi-world missions will have an ISRU facility.  To handle the extra payload, Saturn-V D will incorporate the latest tech Mastadon engines and boosters for Stage 1 and 3.
Edited by jinnantonix

Eelollo Completed, yielding 4,229 science points.  Screenshots below.  Mohollo next.

Spoiler

D8RGpy1.png

Saturn V C launch with NERVA engines in stage 3 and 4 

pgzCDsE.png

Stage 2 separation

fdmGtN4.png

NERVAs burning for Eeloo

LM4Wk76.png

Collecting surface science on Eeloo

etEs4oF.png

Hitting Kerbins atmosphere at nearly 5 km/s

Ojbh1zQ.png

Safe landing

ZWs6KzM.png

Lots of science.

0qeXZL4.png

Lander Orbiter Rendezvous

E1YC76U.png

Eelollo 1 ready to transit to Kerbin

Edited by jinnantonix

Sorry, been a long weekend that stretched up until now. I'll watch your vids and update the main post in a bit.

but for now, I present part 1 of what I expect will be a 3-parter, JOOLOLLO!

Spoiler

1 hour ago, jinnantonix said:

Eelollo Completed, yielding 4,229 science points.  Screenshots below.  Mohollo next.

Any chance you have a screenshot of the lander docked back to the orbiter? Or at least a pic of the lander that shows the docking port? Consider what you've posted of your other runs I've no doubt you did it but proof is always better than no proof :)

It's pretty obvious that it would be able to get back into orbit to dock, and I see the docking port on the orbiter, so the only piece I'm unsure of is if the lander had a port.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Any chance you have a screenshot of the lander docked back to the orbiter? Or at least a pic of the lander that shows the docking port? It's pretty obvious that it would be able to dock, and I see the docking port on the orbiter, so that's the only piece I'm unsure of.

Actually, you can see the docking in the video of Drespollo at 5:45.  I used exactly the same lander and orbiter for Eelollo.  In both cases, the lander redocks with the hitchhiker using it's aft docking port. 

Anyway, here's a shot of it in the VAB, showing the landers aft docking port.

UNMq3M0.png

Edited by jinnantonix

I'm thinking of starting the Kerpollo challenge. Here are the first two Kerpollo and Minpollo missions (and the initial ground missions).

https://imgur.com/a/21VvioT

I noticed something unexpected though. I  was using Bob for the Minpollo mission so I could reset Goo and Material bays but I still had full SAS control (Prograde, Retrograde, Target etc) even without radio contact. Is this a feature of the Science Career mode? I don't think it is from a mod. I see no reason to ever use a Pilot if Bob is just as good.

My mods are:

All Y'All
ForScience
BetterTimeWarp
KER
Precise
KAC
Chatterer) ?

Have I understood it correctly that mining is allowed and  probe cores are allowed as long as no probe core is attached to the orbiter or the lander during landing and return? That is, I can go into orbit around Pol with ore detecting probes attached, detach all probes, land and return, re-attach all probes and go to Bop?

32 minutes ago, dvader said:

I'm thinking of starting the Kerpollo challenge. Here are the first two Kerpollo and Minpollo missions (and the initial ground missions).

https://imgur.com/a/21VvioT

Sweet I'll look at these when I can (Likely tomorrow) and update the first post (again, likely tomorrow)

I noticed something unexpected though. I  was using Bob for the Minpollo mission so I could reset Goo and Material bays but I still had full SAS control (Prograde, Retrograde, Target etc) even without radio contact. Is this a feature of the Science Career mode? I don't think it is from a mod. I see no reason to ever use a Pilot if Bob is just as good.

Nope. That's the way it is. You won't be able to make or delete maneuver nodes without comms though.

My mods are:

All Y'All
ForScience
BetterTimeWarp
KER
Precise
KAC
Chatterer) ?

Have I understood it correctly that mining is allowed and  probe cores are allowed as long as no probe core is attached to the orbiter or the lander during landing and return? That is, I can go into orbit around Pol with ore detecting probes attached, detach all probes, land and return, re-attach all probes and go to Bop?

Probe cores are allowed, yes, but you can't use them for the lander or orbiter. Kerbals need to do the Kerpollo stuff themselves. I thought about making it no probes at all (and even redid a mission that had a probe core for merely aesthetic purposes) but for scanning ore, it seemed a bit much to require a Kerbal.

And yes, you can re-attach them for transfer. Though in my experience it's hard to make a probe that is so fuel starved that it can't get from Pol to Bop. :D

12 hours ago, dvader said:

Here are the first two Kerpollo and Minpollo missions (and the initial ground missions).

Nicely done! Welcome to the participants list! If I had a Kerbuck for every time I unlocked solar panels and then forgot them on the very next ship, I'd be able to afford solar panels for all my new ships. :)

I just posted Laypollo, which turned out to be a much longer video than I'd expected. I was going to put Laythe and Vall together but decided to make it it's own video when it got to 5 minutes.

Spoiler

Edited by 5thHorseman

Here's Munpollo (is that lunar chicken in spanish?): https://imgur.com/a/9kdoKwr

I took the opportunity to make it a little bit Saturn V inspired with the orbiter on top. The Mk2 command pod would have been a better fit but I never get a chance to use the new KV-x pods. It is very much over specced since it is also a test bed for Mohollo, Eepollo etc. I should be able to re-use it with just some more tanks.

@5thHorseman That's an unexpectedly wide winged Laythe lander. Nice! I will have to go back and take a look at what your launch looked like :) I also liked the explosive release of wings.

EDIT: Wow! I just saw your launch. It looked impossible on the launchpad. Then it flipped mid air... and made it to space. Neat! :)

Edited by dvader
Watched launch video

2 hours ago, dvader said:

Here's Munpollo (is that lunar chicken in spanish?): https://imgur.com/a/9kdoKwr

I took the opportunity to make it a little bit Saturn V inspired with the orbiter on top. The Mk2 command pod would have been a better fit but I never get a chance to use the new KV-x pods. It is very much over specced since it is also a test bed for Mohollo, Eepollo etc. I should be able to re-use it with just some more tanks.

@5thHorseman That's an unexpectedly wide winged Laythe lander. Nice! I will have to go back and take a look at what your launch looked like :) I also liked the explosive release of wings.

EDIT: Wow! I just saw your launch. It looked impossible on the launchpad. Then it flipped mid air... and made it to space. Neat! :)

Nicely done on Munpollo. I like the testing for Moho. Yeah, those Vostok capsules are workhorses. Just never launch one not in a fairing. they are SOOOO draggy.

I suck at planes. The wings were added insurance.

I just posted Laypollo, which turned out to be a much longer video than I'd expected. I was going to put Laythe and Vall together but decided to make it it's own video when it got to 5 minutes

Nice.  You have inspired me to use a glider lander and RAPIER ascent engines for Laypollo.  Interestingly gliders were included in Werner Von Kerman's vision for Dunpollo landings, but this idea was abandoned when initial probe measurements there indicated that the atmosphere was too thin.  But Laythe should be OK.  

8 hours ago, dvader said:

Here's two more:

M4 Mohollo:  https://imgur.com/a/pleYKXF

M5 Eepollo: https://imgur.com/a/4ulZKZS

We'll see what comes next. Probably Duna since it is much easier than Eve or Jool.

Nicely done. I know all about the "no-ladder clamber" :D And leaving things attached that should really have been discarded long ago.

Duna's not just easier than Eve or Jool. It's easier (IMO) than Eeloo or Moho. Better to do late though because it's essentially double science so you want as many things unlocked as possible. IIRC I had JUST got graviolis unlocked when I went there.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Mohollo completed.  New Saturn -V D using Kerbodyne tanks and Mastadon engines.  Same lander as previous, but beefed up for Moho's higher gravity.  Screenshots below.

Spoiler

Xa6OKyk.png

Launch

SX5ye52.png

Arriving at Moho

NVpsZ9q.png

Beefed up lander with drop tanks

oDAUKdi.png

Getting sunburnt on Moho

YWFtwMs.png

Docking with the orbiter

wPetjlp.png

Kerbin re-entry at 4.5 km/s with doomed Stage 4 in the background

T6ncwhr.png

Safely landed in the Grasslands ... again

k08oT6F.png

3141.2 science points gained.

Dunpollo completed, earning over 4000 science points and completing the tech tree.  Very happy with my Saturn V launcher.  From a delta-v standpoint this was a very easy mission, I had tons of fuel remaining at Kerbin.  I had one big challenge - half way through the mission I discovered that my rotating craft was unbalanced, so I needed to shuffle the hitchhiker and MEM around, and pump just the right amount of fuel into the MEM to balance the mass of the command pod.  it wasn't perfect, but it got the craft home.  Also, the idea of attaching the heat shield to the command pod with a docking port senior was a dud, there was a very scary explosion during Kerbin re-entry.  The crew survived but it wasn't good, so won't be doing that again.  Now onto Evepollo.

Edited by jinnantonix

I was planning to go to Duna but due to scope creep I ended up on Eve.

Now, I am safely landed on Eve but discovered a bit of a problem during take off. The ForScience mod has gathered all my science into an inflatable airlock instead of the command module. The airlock is attached to the landing legs and is ditched upon take off. I probably don't need the science but it just seems like such a waste to leave it there so I'd like to "move" it from the airlock to the command module. But, the Inflatable Airlock wasn't designed to hold science so the Kerbal can't take it on EVA, there's no option to transfer it etc. Any ideas?

By the way, this is the Faturn VIII. I got caught up with the idea of landing a nice, tall, slender Saturn V lookalike on Eve but could not land it without tipping over due to the high center of mass. After making it shorter, fatter and adding all the stuff necessary to land and take off from Eve, it now looks like the offspring from marriage between the Saturn V and McGyver.

kRksL9G.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.