Kerpollo - A Complete Science Mode Run In 9 Acts

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

I'm love to see that maneuver setup. I can usually go from LKO to LMO with less than 6000 m/s.

Yeah same for me but not this time. I think I messed something up. In the end the Eve route was easier :)

4 minutes ago, GRS said:

@5thHorseman @jost

I don't understand what are you guys really talking about, such thing never get to 6000 on me, looks like Capture Burn is mostly the issue...right ???

Nope. In this case I would have spent way to much Delta-V for deep space manoeuvers to match inclination with Mohp and lower AE. So i resorted to an Eve flyby lowering AE for free ;)

17 minutes ago, GRS said:

@5thHorseman @jost

I don't understand what are you guys really talking about, such thing never get to 6000 on me, looks like Capture Burn is mostly the issue...right ???

Well it's usually below 6k but yes slowing down at Moho always takes the most m/s.

And to be sure, it's not 6000 to slow down. It's 2000 or so to eject and 2500 or so to capture, and 500-1000 extra for plane change, which is done with another burn to save m/s by cutting the diagonal.

Edited by 5thHorseman
Typos

2 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Well it's usually below 5k but yes slowing down at Moho always takes the most m/s.

And to be sure, it's not 5000 to slow down. It's 2000 or so to eject and 2500 or so to capture, and 500-1000 extra for plane change, which is dinner with another burn to save m/s by cutting the diagonal.

Your only "mistake" seems to be on the Capture, set Pe to 15 km, 30 Km if you worry about it too much.

9 minutes ago, jost said:

Nope. In this case I would have spent way to much Delta-V for deep space manoeuvers to match inclination with Mohp and lower AE. So i resorted to an Eve flyby lowering AE for free ;)

...So that's why...LOL, I can finish with roughly 4800 m/s, given 2000 for Kerbin escape and get to either An/Dn (Depends on which is closer to Kerbol), lets say 500 m/s for an Inclination Correction in the Apoapsis (as high as Kerbin SMA), less than 20 m/s for Moho counter, 1700 m/s for a bare capture on Moho (Pe = 10 Km), less than 100 m/s for Inclination Correction to Equatorial Orbit, And lets say 500 m/s to reach a Stable Orbit with an altitude of 10 Km...and what's an "AE" ???

6 minutes ago, GRS said:

Your only "mistake" seems to be on the Capture, set Pe to 15 km, 30 Km if you worry about it too much.

...So that's why...LOL, I can finish with roughly 4800 m/s, given 2000 for Kerbin escape and get to either An/Dn (Depends on which is closer to Kerbol), lets say 500 m/s for an Inclination Correction in the Apoapsis (as high as Kerbin SMA), less than 20 m/s for Moho counter, 1700 m/s for a bare capture on Moho (Pe = 10 Km), less than 100 m/s for Inclination Correction to Equatorial Orbit, And lets say 500 m/s to reach a Stable Orbit with an altitude of 10 Km...and what's an "AE" ???

I mean apoapsis

Hello...?

I'm making a Moon for Dres using Kopernicus, wish me luck...(The Moon will be downloadable after I've came up with a whole set of 4 Planets and 8 Moons), the Moon will be part of my 13 Kilotons Gigapollo.

Edited by GRS

Ok, I'm back to the drawing board. My eve mission used ions for inner EVE soi space operations. It turned out, that the resulting TWR was way to low and in the end the delta V wasn't enough either. This only affects the orbiter, the lander is fine as it is. In any case I will need to use the autopilot mods (MechJeb and GravityTurn) because they fly more fuel efficent than me. 

@5thHorseman

I was thinking about doing this challenge as a relaxing vacation from more serious efforts, and was wondering if I could use this mod -

All it does is collect all the Science available at KSC, for all instruments one has unlocked. I want to automate this so that my first update isn't a boring drivearound KSC.

My issue is that on stock settings, it can give a whopping 1800+ Science from KSC alone, with all the Science instruments.

So for fairness, I would like to put Science rewards at 50% and play with it. Is this okay?

21 minutes ago, Xurkitree said:

@5thHorseman

I was thinking about doing this challenge as a relaxing vacation from more serious efforts, and was wondering if I could use this mod -

All it does is collect all the Science available at KSC, for all instruments one has unlocked. I want to automate this so that my first update isn't a boring drivearound KSC.

My issue is that on stock settings, it can give a whopping 1800+ Science from KSC alone, with all the Science instruments.

So for fairness, I would like to put Science rewards at 50% and play with it. Is this okay?

I use KEI when I'm not doing challenges because I too hate the thought of going through that grind again. It is a LOT of science for no cost, so I can see it being a problem in a challenge like this one where getting science is so important. However, the rules were specifically written to allow auto-collection of science so long as it doesn't add any new science to the game (which KEI does not) so it's within the rules. So go for it, I say.

If you use it, I will specify you're using it (and 50% gains) in the entrants list. You'll share the same leaderboard with everybody else, though :).

Edited by 5thHorseman

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Not sure this os covered, but:

can you drop automated probes BEFORE landing to get science from other biomes? And then to do your manned landing?

I think it says 9 Launches, no Transmitters, though you can get as many In Space Science as you can, you can only land once in one Biome, no Roving or Hopping, KSC Science Spamming is fine, Extra Planet Packs are fine (Damn you Spade, for once in your life can you please obey me...)

3 minutes ago, GRS said:

I think it says 9 Launches, no Transmitters, though you can get as many In Space Science as you can, you can only land once in one Biome, no Roving or Hopping, KSC Science Spamming is fine, Extra Planet Packs are fine (Damn you Spade, for once in your life can you please obey me...)

It's the "no transmitters" which kills the idea.

I'm currently busy with the Shuttle Challenge, I may do this next.  Never did a science-only career, though

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Not sure this os covered, but:

can you drop automated probes BEFORE landing to get science from other biomes? And then to do your manned landing?

it is not allowed, but I don't think i ever said that it wasn't. I added a bit of a note to specify that you can only get science with Kerbals in the ships and probes are not allowed to land.

All you can do with probes is control things that don't get science, land, or move Kerbals to your destinations. Basically you can take one as a relay or to scan for ore and that's it.

Edited by 5thHorseman

22 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It's the "no transmitters" which kills the idea.

I'm currently busy with the Shuttle Challenge, I may do this next.  Never did a science-only career, though

Try starting a new save in Science Sandbox, Difficulty of at least Normal, feel free to raise Difficulty Level, It'll be super fun...

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

For some reason I kept seeing the title and kept thinking “9 parts” as in 9 parts in the VAB., not 9 individual missions

I know :D I think that too sometimes. Maybe I should change it to "launches" or at least "acts." that's really what I was trying to convey, 9 individual separated missions.

On 7/11/2019 at 8:06 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

For some reason I kept seeing the title and kept thinking “9 parts” as in 9 parts in the VAB., not 9 individual missions

Thank you! I always thought the same thing. I actually avoiding clicking on it for ages because I was thinking "Not another one of those 'impossible' low part count missions...".

@doggonemess

I hope it's a different way to say "I'm in"

Spoiler Alert :

PdSVrW3.png

Also upgraded to 1.7.1 for reasons...

I've made Something Green (With some Blue), Look at where The Mothership is Looking at.

Edited by GRS

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.