Kerpollo - A Complete Science Mode Run In 9 Acts

Superfluous J

Dunaollo Complete!  @Superfluous J

Finished the run to Duna and Ike last night.  It was a pretty basic run, using only parts from tech tier 6 or lower.  The rocket is much larger and has much. ore dV than is actually needed, so I didn't need to worry about fuel or tricky orbital maneuvers.

I think that completes the Kerpollo challenge for me, which I have really enjoyed!

In my mission reports thread (linked below) the Duna/Ike run is actually spread out over several posts, and there are a lot of screenshots.

@Superfluous J

Before I start, I'd like to say that it's only been 9 days since I finished Drespollo.  9 days.  It feels like I've been trying to get to other celestial bodies after that for longer than 9 days.  Sometimes this game feels like an hour, sometimes it feels like several millenia.  But, it is what it is.  Now, with that said...

Dunapollo is complete!  Woo hoo!  It took almost everything I had, including 2 days of reconfiguring stuff AFTER I last lost it about not being able to finish.  I am sincerely hoping that, by unlocking most of tier 7, I can get to the rest of the celestial bodies out there.  Except Jool; that's gonna be the last one I deal with, and I know it's gonna take everything I don't even yet know I have in me to do.

Man, I was THIS CLOSE to doing Eeloo today...and I ran out of fuel.  I was about 500 m/s short on my first flight out now that I've got Tier 7 nearly unlocked.

giphy.gif

I know what I have to do, though.  One tank here...a couple tanks there...presto!  Should get this done by tomorrow!

@Superfluous J

And I have finished Mohollo!  I watched a couple of rocket design videos, and one by Matt Towne really hit home.  It showed me how to get the most out of the dV I needed.  My lander ended up with < 200 m/s of dV after re-docking in Moho orbit, and so I transferred all that fuel back into the main ship and then jettisoned the lander.  When I reached Kerbin and ended the capture burn, I still had ~1000 m/s of dV remaining, which helped me to get back on the surface.

One thing that the images and my running commentary don't show is that I had to do EVA maneuvers in space...which I have NEVER done before.  Bob couldn't reach the primary command module to store all the experiment data, so he had to let go of the lander and fly over to the command module to store the experiments.  Lots of reverts on that maneuver, but I've learned now yet another thing I didn't think I would ever have to figure out.

For those of you who actually read the report, you'll notice I went a different direction this time.  Instead of my own thoughts about what was happening, I wrote it from the perspective of the 2 Kerbonauts I sent into orbit.  And while I was originally going to head to Eeloo, I thought "What is the most Kerbal thing that could happen here"...and I combined Bob's love of snack cakes with one of the planets in the Kerbol system.  And so they went to Moho.  :)

Comments and feedback are most appreciated!  I will be heading to Eeloo next!

Edited by Scarecrow71

21 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I had to do EVA maneuvers in space..

Necessity is the mother of invention!  Nice job!  I consider Moho the most difficult place to visit in the game.  It's the place I most dread going to.

Congratulations!

7 hours ago, 18Watt said:

I consider Moho the most difficult place to visit in the game.  It's the place I most dread going to.

Interestingly enough, I tried Eeloo multiple times before going to Moho.  And I hit Moho on my first attempt this time.  I'm just happy I got one step closer to finishing this challenge!

And it looks like I am going to have to forfeit and drop out of this.  I only have Eve and Jool to go, and I could probably complete Eve and get the last tier of the tech tree unlocked.  But I cannot do a Jool-5 in one launch; that appears to be the limit of what I am capable of in this game.  Were I allowed multiple launches I am quite sure that I could finish Jool and all 5 of its moons.  Being able to dock extra tanks and extra landers and all that in space would make a Jool-5 run not so impossible-seeming.  But to do it in one launch?  Can't do it.

This isn't me whining about it.  I simply have reached what I can do in this game.  I simply cannot design a rocket that has enough fuel and thrust to get me off Kerbin, get to Jool, explore all 5 moons, and get back.  My best attempt is that I can get to Jool, and then I get to pick 1 moon to explore before coming home.  I simply run out of fuel, and I cannot seem to design anything that can hold enough fuel for me to do anything else.  I know - use ISRU.  Which I don't know how to do yet, and even if I did I would have to take those components into account on any rocket I design and fly.  And I'm having major issues without that, which means that I cannot do that either.

Sorry, guys, but I just can't continue on this one.  Unless someone can implant rocket design material directly into my brain, I've simply reached my limit.

I am going to try making for Eve, if for no other reason than to finish the tech tree.  And while I am not confident in my ability to get there and back (including Gilly), I am thinking that maybe this will spark something in me to be able to design a Jool-5 rocket.  But again, I don't have a lot of faith in my ability right now.

On 11/15/2021 at 2:28 PM, Scarecrow71 said:

And I'm ready to give up.  ...  Simply put, I CANNOT DO IT.

I understand the frustration and the feeling. The "Jool 5" step for this is the single hardest thing in the challenge. You not only have to do a Jool 5 - which many people never even attempt and many who attempt give up on (I did several times before I got it) - but you MUST do it in ONE LAUNCH and you have to schlep 2 Kerbals everywhere (at least). It's totally completely unfair.

If I may make a suggestion: Don't do MY Jool 5. Do a regular one. Do it in a different save (or back up your save so you can always come back later). Do it for the lowest possible tier with the lowest possible requirements. Prove to yourself you can do it. Learn the pitfalls and how to overcome them. Then do it again, possibly at the next tier up. Try to not have to refuel, or construct in orbit. Eventually you'll get it.

THEN come back and do mine, when you have the tools in your personal toolbox (i.e. your brain :)).

Oh, and as an aside, I didn't reply to your most recent post. I replied to a really old post when you felt similarly about Duna. You, simply put, COULD NOT DO IT.

2 weeks ago.

Food for thought. I'm not saying anything I'm just saying :)

2 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

I understand the frustration and the feeling. The "Jool 5" step for this is the single hardest thing in the challenge. You not only have to do a Jool 5 - which many people never even attempt and many who attempt give up on (I did several times before I got it) - but you MUST do it in ONE LAUNCH and you have to schlep 2 Kerbals everywhere (at least). It's totally completely unfair.

If I may make a suggestion: Don't do MY Jool 5. Do a regular one. Do it in a different save (or back up your save so you can always come back later). Do it for the lowest possible tier with the lowest possible requirements. Prove to yourself you can do it. Learn the pitfalls and how to overcome them. Then do it again, possibly at the next tier up. Try to not have to refuel, or construct in orbit. Eventually you'll get it.

THEN come back and do mine, when you have the tools in your personal toolbox (i.e. your brain :)).

Oh, and as an aside, I didn't reply to your most recent post. I replied to a really old post when you felt similarly about Duna. You, simply put, COULD NOT DO IT.

2 weeks ago.

Food for thought. I'm not saying anything I'm just saying :)

The big difference between my Dina post and the Jool 5 is that with Duna I was simply frustrated.  The Jool 5 is beyond what I know how to do.  I've honestly run out of ability, which sucks, but it is what it is.

I think you have a point, though, about doing something else and coming back to this later.  Perhaps my mind will wrk this out when I'm not so focused on it.  I don't see how...and that's the issue.  I knew this challenge would be hard.  I just didn't realize that it was beyond what I'm currently capable of.  Heck, even all the threads I see use ISRU, which I apparently need to learn.

Right now I'm just gonna focus on Eve to at least finish the tech tree.  After that I'm probably gonna set this aside for a while and focus on learning ISRU.  Then we shall see?

1 hour ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Heck, even all the threads I see use ISRU, which I apparently need to learn.

ISRU definitely helps (as you don't have to carry fuel) but it's far from necessary. I did my Jool 5 for this without it.

My videos are WAY too brief to serve as tutorial, but they at least can serve as proof. Here's the first of what was eventually 4 for my Joolollo run, max tech but no ISRU.

(That said, I like your current idea)