5thHorseman

Kerpollo - A Complete Science Mode Run In 9 Acts

Recommended Posts

Should this take place in Career or a Science mode fine ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ManEatingApe said:

What! You mean this whole time that I've been swaggering around taunting Johnny Law, twirling my mustachio, laughing maniacally - I've actually been a law-abiding citizen :sticktongue:

Where's that old emoticon comic I wrote? Aw heck it's quicker to just redo it.

|m|. :cool: .|m|  < (Breakin' the law, breakin' the law!)

(Well, actually... you were conforming to the letter, but not the spirit of the law.) > :)

:mad: . o O ( ~ )

:D . o O ( ! )

|m|. :cool: .|m|  < (Conforming to the letter but not the spirit of the law, conforming to the letter but not the spirit of the law!)

1 hour ago, ManEatingApe said:

I'm not sure if this old con can ever be rehabilitated...ah what the heck, it'd be a shame to leave a challenge behind. When I'm done with video editing, I'll tackle the remaining missions - on one condition. That you leave me in the Rogue's Gallery - I kinda like it. :)

Can do! Though I may redefine it to include those who also completed the challenge, but in a really off-the-wall way.

 

1 hour ago, GRS said:

Should this take place in Career or a Science mode fine ???

Science mode:

On 12/30/2018 at 4:22 AM, 5thHorseman said:

Start a Science Career. No money. No contracts. You'll be busy enough trust me. Make it with (almost) any settings you want, but document them. Use any mods you want, but document them. Challenge yourself! The only setting you MUST have is that you MUST enable saves and reverts. Not many challenges require that one, eh? I would also suggest not making the science gathering all that difficult. I did this with normal science and it wasn't exactly easy. Though you could probably knock down gains to 75% and still complete the whole tech tree in this challenge.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like you're telling me that science mode (normal science where funds are not important) is fine, guess i'll try this before The-you-know-what.

Edited by GRS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I have completed Munpollo! (Mission 2/9) Here is a video below showing me completing it: (that's means now I have kerpollo and munpollo done!)

Here is a mission patch for Munpollo II:

LOQcbaq.png

Next Time, I'm Doing Minpollo!

Edited by Johnster_Space_Program

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After successfully completing Kerpollo yesterday and Munpollo earlier today, I have now completed Minpollo as well! (With 3/9 Missions Done I've completed 1/3 of the challenge). Here is the Minpollo Video (Which was the first mission I did in the challenge with 2 kerbals, instead of 1 like before):

And here is the mission patch, my best one yet!

GvIHaqY.png

I'm either doing Dunpollo or Drespollo next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, while im waiting to do my first interplanetary and docking mission next, I decided to get some science around the ksc first:

In what I would call a "pretty cool" rover.

Edited by Johnster_Space_Program

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Johnster_Space_Program said:

So, while im waiting to do my first interplanetary and docking mission next, I decided to get some science around the ksc first:

In what I would call a "pretty cool" rover.

Pretty cool!

Three quick things:

1) This is in general and not directed at you directly. Be very careful with rovers with engines. It doesn't break the spirit of the challenge to use a rover with an engine on it, but it does break it to get any science in the air via jumping. You didn't do it, and likely didn't have any to get anyway due to the KSC flying being already farmed from your rockets. However, if you had driven to the grasslands and gotten some "big air" science, that would have been a no-no. It seems like a stringent rule, but it keeps people from unlocking half the tech tree with planes, which is not really what the challenge is about.

2) How did you get to where that eva report was done? That looked like perhaps it may have been from a plane. :o

2) You missed a bunch of "touching the building" science. Including the flagpole in front of the admin building :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Pretty cool!

Three quick things:

1) This is in general and not directed at you directly. Be very careful with rovers with engines. It doesn't break the spirit of the challenge to use a rover with an engine on it, but it does break it to get any science in the air via jumping. You didn't do it, and likely didn't have any to get anyway due to the KSC flying being already farmed from your rockets. However, if you had driven to the grasslands and gotten some "big air" science, that would have been a no-no. It seems like a stringent rule, but it keeps people from unlocking half the tech tree with planes, which is not really what the challenge is about.

2) How did you get to where that eva report was done? That looked like perhaps it may have been from a plane. :o

2) You missed a bunch of "touching the building" science. Including the flagpole in front of the admin building :D

Thanks, as for 2, after I ran out of power in the first rover I collected the science and started another rover at the runway. On the way to another building, I went too fast on the ground and the rover rolled over and exploded (that's why at the end there's just the command pod, and the rest of the rover is gone), after that happened I got on eva and collected soil sample from the ksc to finish getting 160 science.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

You missed a bunch of "touching the building" science. Including the flagpole in front of the admin building :D

Thanks for telling me that! Now, after making a new similar rover to the last one, I collected some "touching the building" science, as seen below (it gave me a lot more science!):

rtmD8HQ.png

EqymLE8.png

ODThxiI.png

baZckPl.png

qHWEuDd.png

f4WKyYN.png

96RWyaK.png

ENFWLP8.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greetings!

Just started the challenge this evening.

I'm running Normal difficulty mode.

Mods: only one - ForScience. Pretty handy, I've never used it before. 

Progress:

  • Farmed some science around KSC, cleared the first two tech tree levels.
  • Built, launched (and re-launched a couple of times), and completed Kerpollo. Blew up the goo canisters on reentry, and though I aimed for a desert landing, I mis-judged the Pe marker and landed long and in the bay. Went swimming.

Now have about 160 science to proceed into the third tech tree level.

Any other documentation needed? I don't do videos, sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FloppyRocket said:

Greetings!

Just started the challenge this evening.

I'm running Normal difficulty mode.

Mods: only one - ForScience. Pretty handy, I've never used it before. 

Progress:

  • Farmed some science around KSC, cleared the first two tech tree levels.
  • Built, launched (and re-launched a couple of times), and completed Kerpollo. Blew up the goo canisters on reentry, and though I aimed for a desert landing, I mis-judged the Pe marker and landed long and in the bay. Went swimming.

Now have about 160 science to proceed into the third tech tree level.

Any other documentation needed? I don't do videos, sorry.

Welcome!

A few pics is all that's strictly necessary. One of the ship on the pad or VAB, another landed on the target world(s), and a third docking afterward (when you get that far and have docking ports). Also the tech tree you used for each mission would be nice, to prove you didn't drill past the current level.

For the first few not much proof is needed. For the multi-world missions a description of anything you had to account for or had trouble with would be appreciated. Everybody loves a good story, especially one with a happy ending!

Edited by 5thHorseman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mission 8 and Joollo is done! A short album is here: https://imgur.com/a/5hFnDM0 . Here's a teaser:

5H3nmZN.jpg

and a long video (55 min at 8x so about 8 hours of gameplay). Here's a short index of events:

  • 00:17:04    Parked at Tylo. Preparing landing
  • 00:19:00    Val is replaced by evil impostor?
  • 00:23:14    Returned to Tylo parking. Setting up the Laythe, Vall, Bop, Pol craft.    
  • 00:27:44    Laythe landing
  • 00:30:31    Very nice Jool rising during ascent.    
  • 00:36:44    Vall landing
  • 00:40:24    Bop landing
  • 00:40:32    Jeb falls out of his seat when staging empty fuel tanks.
  • 00:42:39    Vals impostor can't plant flags.
  • 00:46:17    Pol landing
  • 00:51:59    Transfer to return ship at Tylo
  • 00:54:57    Back at Kerbin.

 

Spoiler

 

The weirdest bug I encountered was a mysterious explosion during ascent from Tylo. When I checked the mission log it said Val had crashed into Tylo... but someone was still sitting in the command chair. Maybe an evil twin? After that, the computer froze for a couple of seconds and I thought I'd have to reload but... then it suddenly started moving again. Val (or whoever it was) was alive and I could continue.

Spoiler

OhAhUab.jpg

That's a scary exposion. I hope it wasn't anyting important.

U26Sf8G.jpg

Oh no! It was Val! But... if that was Val, then who is in the command chair?

I also encountered bugs when switching to crafts with a command chair. Sometimes I would not get any control and had to switch to the tracking station and back to get control. Also, at some planetary intercepts, the trajectory line was all messed. It was buggier than I remember. I hope this is not a trend.

And that's it! Eight missions and I'm done with the challenge. I mean... this Dres thing is just one of those jokes, right? Like the Kraken. It doesn't really exist, does it?

 

Edited by dvader

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, dvader said:

long video

I'll watch it at 2x speed, but not until later today or tomorrow.

And yes you still have to land on Dres :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm following this challenge with interest.  Currently playing the Caveman Challenge but I do want to give this a try.

 

On 2/12/2019 at 11:47 AM, 5thHorseman said:

You missed a bunch of "touching the building" science. Including the flagpole in front of the admin building :D

 

On 2/12/2019 at 5:27 PM, Johnster_Space_Program said:

Thanks for telling me that! Now, after making a new similar rover to the last one, I collected some "touching the building" science, as seen below (it gave me a lot more science!):

 

To get things straight for my KSP Science Checklists, I did extensive recces of KSC to determine what science was available there at all 3 stock facility build levels.  For a Science Career, I would think they would be the same as the maximum facility level 3.

For KSC Science, there are 11 area mini-biomes, each being a zone containing one of the 9 major facilities and the Crawlerway, as well as another for KSC overall around and between the others.  There's the Surface Landed Science just by being in the zone.  There's also a razor-thin "Flying over KSC <biome>" for each that a slightly bouncing vehicle or Kerbal can get, for those experiments that are per-biome at Flying Low: Crew Reports, EVA Reports, Temperature Scans, and Atmosphere Analyses.

At max facility level, there's 21 structure micro-biomes, like the Flag Pole in the Astronaut Complex grounds.  As mentioned, the vehicle or Kerbal has to touch the structure to get the particular Surface Landed Science for them.

There's also several more structure micro-biomes that may have given science returns in the past and appear to still exist, but they just return the same science Situation and Biome for the area they're in.  These include all addons for the Launchpad and the main buildings of Administration, Astronaut Complex, and Mission Control.

There's also area mini-biomes for several of the remote structures on Kerbin: Baikerbanur, Baikerbanur Launchpad, and the Island Airfield.  With Making History, there's 3 more: Dessert Airfield, Dessert Launch Site, and Woomerang Launch Site.

Edited by Jacke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I'll watch it at 2x speed, but not until later today or tomorrow.

I just noticed that the timestamps I added on the YouTube description page (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15yPY7rHw98)  automatically links to the right place in the video. So, if you just want to watch the highlights, you can click the timestamp and go directly to the landings (You have to click "show more" to see the links). It's pretty neat really. I wish this forum had the same functionality.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Using the new science from around the ksc with a rover I recently got, I have finally finished building Dunpollo IV to complete my first interplanetary mission, Dunpollo! With over 5200 m/s in the atmosphere and over 7000 m/s in space, it should have more than enough delta-v to complete the mission. Here are some images of it!

IQBOwab.png

A look at what's inside the fairing, which is the orbiter and lander (since I have docking ports unlocked now)

2y5nSqU.png

And lastly, Dunpollo IV, waiting to launch on the pad. (Tomorrow I will do the mission and hopefully successfully complete dunpollo!)

5zjWx4S.png

This is how i'm going to do the mission:

1. Launch into around a 100km kerbin orbit

2. Do Duna Transfer Burn and get altitude down to around 20,000m (so I can aerobrake into a low orbit around duna)

3. Circularize Duna Orbit, and get jeb in the lander, then undock

4. Land on duna, then after landing, the orbiter does an injection burn to ike, and enters a roughly equatorial circular orbit around ike

5. After getting science from duna's surface, lander takes off and enters orbit around duna, then also does an ike injection burn and enters orbit

6. Lander with Jeb rendezvous with orbiter in ike orbit, then refuels

7. After refueling, lander with jeb undocks and lands on ike, then returns to orbit

8. Lander docks with orbiter again, and rest of fuel in lander is transferred to the orbiter. Lander is deorbited and crashes on ike

9. After waiting for transfer window, orbiter does Kerbin Injection Burn to a periapsis around 30,000m above kerbin and escapes duna 

10. Orbiter arrives at kerbin, reenters atmosphere, and safely lands on kerbin, where its recovered

11. I use the science from the mission to finish unlocked the current level, then start unlocking the second level

12. Lastly, I decided whether to do Mohopollo or Drespollo next depending on days left to transfer time to each planet.

Just wondering, but if I can't transfer the orbiter to ike orbit after the lander lands on duna, then I will just redock with it in duna orbit instead and do the same at ike.

Edited by Johnster_Space_Program

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Johnster_Space_Program said:

4. Land on duna, then after landing, the orbiter does an injection burn to ike, and enters a roughly equatorial circular orbit around ike

5. After getting science from duna's surface, lander takes off and enters orbit around duna, then also does an ike injection burn and enters orbit

This will not work. You must dock in orbit of Duna to complete the Duna part of the mission. you can then undock and transfer separately, but you must dock in Duna orbit first!

42 minutes ago, Johnster_Space_Program said:

Just wondering, but if I can't transfer the orbiter to ike orbit after the lander lands on duna, then I will just redock with it in duna orbit instead and do the same at ike.

Oh you at least suspected that already. Read the whole post before commenting, Horseman...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Welcome!

A few pics is all that's strictly necessary. One of the ship on the pad or VAB, another landed on the target world(s), and a third docking afterward (when you get that far and have docking ports). Also the tech tree you used for each mission would be nice, to prove you didn't drill past the current level.

For the first few not much proof is needed. For the multi-world missions a description of anything you had to account for or had trouble with would be appreciated. Everybody loves a good story, especially one with a happy ending!

Ok, thanks for the reply. I'll post some images shortly.

For some reason I'm having trouble adjusting my notification settings. It seems I never get email notices for replies even when I'm following a Forum thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Initial challenge documentation images:

Kerpollo mission ship:

uPT4Bwf.jpg

Tech tree during Kerpollo mission:

PG0FRNS.jpg

 

Science cart used to farm more Science to extend the Tech Tree for the Munpollo mission:

4MUUBRm.jpg

 

Tech tree before starting to build the Munpollo ship.  I had just enough Science to complete Level 3 and then get the Electrics group, since solar panels are handy  (Update: Had to go farm some more science in order to buy the landing struts in the middle of Level 4).

J79VIfF.jpg

 

And, my game settings:

s8YtORL.jpg

Edited by FloppyRocket
Fixing typos - I keep using "Terr" instead of "Tree".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2019 at 2:08 PM, 5thHorseman said:

And with this, I claim victory over my own challenge and move on to other, un-challengey things for a while.

Congrats! Finally coming back to this thread and catching up. As you know I was consumed by my NCD run ;). Well done final video I must say as well. I look back on this challenge fondly after doing a full caveman!

 

On 2/6/2019 at 5:14 AM, dvader said:

But, the Inflatable Airlock wasn't designed to hold science so the Kerbal can't take it on EVA, there's no option to transfer it etc. Any ideas?

What if you have a Kerbal actually board the airlock..... does that give you an option to collect the data? I cannot remember, as I basically used an inflatable airlock as an extra passenger seat that was safe for Kerbin re-entry. It was recovered with the Kerbal, and thus science intact. Not sure that help you though, sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2019 at 7:40 AM, dvader said:

Mission 8 and Joollo is done!

  • 00:17:04    Parked at Tylo. Preparing landing
  • 00:19:00    Val is replaced by evil impostor?
  • 00:23:14    Returned to Tylo parking. Setting up the Laythe, Vall, Bop, Pol craft.    

It took me a LONG time to figure out why you were bringing that external command chair to Laythe. Surely you could get back to your mothership in Tylo orbit with the cockpit? I couldn't see the fuel savings on the way back being worth the loss on the way up.

On 2/15/2019 at 7:40 AM, dvader said:
  • 00:27:44    Laythe landing
  • 00:30:31    Very nice Jool rising during ascent.    

Some times, I think Joolrise is the main reason I still play the game.

On 2/15/2019 at 7:40 AM, dvader said:
  • 00:36:44    Vall landing

Of course, by now I figured out why you brought that chair :D

On 2/15/2019 at 7:40 AM, dvader said:
  • 00:40:24    Bop landing

I love the two-seater design of your orbiter + lander. makes me think for some reason both of a small Star Trek warp vessel and those space fighters they flew in Stargate.

On 2/15/2019 at 7:40 AM, dvader said:
  • 00:40:32    Jeb falls out of his seat when staging empty fuel tanks.
  • 00:42:39    Vals impostor can't plant flags.
  • 00:46:17    Pol landing

I see your Pol lander had the same troubles mine did :D

On 2/15/2019 at 7:40 AM, dvader said:
  • 00:51:59    Transfer to return ship at Tylo
  • 00:54:57    Back at Kerbin.

And well done! I can't wait to see you discover a whole new planet in the next and final mission!

21 minutes ago, zanie420 said:

As you know I was consumed by my NCD run ;)

I do! It was fascinating to watch/read/follow. I did a normal Caveman run but do not have the fortitude to grind science and money to a scale anywhere near what's needed for NCD. I can totally appreciate though that ability in others, and going interplanetary under ANY caveman conditions is something to be lauded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2019 at 2:07 PM, 5thHorseman said:

And yes you still have to land on Dres :D

Dres is real!?!? Are you telling me the Kraken is real too? I am locking all doors and windows tonight...

I had to check it out for myself so I read up on all the requirements for going to Dres and took off. My first attempt achieved orbit and a landing but was not accepted by Dres. The powered landing was deemed "conventional and boring" and the "mood wasn't right". I had to revert, change the landing tech and add some lights. After a lot of hard work, here it is:

Mission 9 - Discopollo :

Album: https://imgur.com/a/Pf75WT8

spL2DLn.jpg

 

And a video,  now with subtitles and variable speedup!

  • 00:04:56 Landing
  • 00:07:03 Disco
Spoiler

 

 

 

Edited by dvader

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.