Full stack on the pad:

o15w7WZ.jpg

Tech tree at launch:

upDiVOU.png

Duna landing site:

2onw0V2.png

Duna rendezvous:

88cptqh.png

Ike landing (after transferring some fuel to the lander)

g5JEC7K.png

Ike rendezvous:

PhixLmt.jpg

Mission science summary:

DcsE5cm.jpg

Notes:

Navigation gets easier with more practice.

Landing on Duna then Ike was good practice for re-fueling the lander from the main orbiter/return stage.

The last two missions may be slightly more challenging. I may need to buy a few more goodies from the Tech Tree.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to finishing off this challenge! Tried out 1.7, the new altimeter modes and precise node editor came in very handy.

Used the same Spaceplane + Lander approach as before, however the fun part was designing an Eve lander compact enough to fit inside a Mk3 cargo bay.

Eve ascent begins at 1:30, craft file link is here.

10 hours ago, ManEatingApe said:

Used the same Spaceplane + Lander approach as before, however the fun part was designing an Eve lander compact enough to fit inside a Mk3 cargo bay.

Nice looking ship there! I've never seen a (successful) attempt at Eve ascent that followed such a shallow gravity turn. I burn straight up to about 20km before even turning my own self.

Well done! And welcome to the ... well you're still in the Rogues' Gallery but welcome to the Rogues' Winner's Circle!

1 hour ago, zanie420 said:

Been thinking about the Outer Planets Mod and this challenge, now that I upgraded to an actual gaming system and 1.7 came out......

Yeah it would adapt to pretty much any planet pack though any add-on packs would end up just being "go to these other places with maxxed out tech trees."

I'd definitely watch someone do it though :D

9 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I'd definitely watch someone do it though :D

I am HEAVILY considering it. First I would like to make KSP as graphically beautiful as I can.... any suggestions from the peanut gallery? I have to be honest, I am confused between SVE, EVE, Astronomer's pack, and the other graphics mods. Not sure which replaces which, and what is compatible with what.

Progress (or lack thereof) update:

I'm in "All about Eve" mode. Never been there before, so I've got a lot to learn. I'm currently experimenting with lander designs in a Sandbox game. Right now I have a tall/skinny lander doing very gentle aerobraking passes, losing about 2 m/s per orbit. It is a very slow process. 

• 1 month later...

I started my own Kerpollo run now, Mission report: 

I'm thinking to combine my minmus mission with a quick exit from Kerbin soi to get some solar science and return afterwards. Is this ok for this challenge?

Regards, Jost.

Just finished Minmus: 

For easier design and auto piloting I added AntennaHelper and MechJeb to my install. I  want to install BreakingGround since I would love to expolore the new surface features. I won't use the new science parts since this is imho not allowed by the rules (no free science through mods or labs).  Is this ok for the challenge? 

Ok, I wanted to go for Moho first. Seriously: Even Kerbals are not that craczy to sent their kerbonauts to outer planets without working communications?!?

However I coudn't find a good transfer window (neither for hohman nor bieleptical transfer or Eve gravity assist), so I cringed hard and went to Eeloo instead: 
https://imgur.com/a/jnjnwK8 
@5thHorseman Please review. I was quote lazy with the screenshots (to be honest I forgot them) so not every step is clearly documented. Is this ok or should I redo the missing ones (docking after Eeloo Landing, Eeloo ascent etc)? 

If this is ok next mission will be Duna

1 hour ago, jost said:

Please review. I was quote lazy with the screenshots (to be honest I forgot them) so not every step is clearly documented. Is this ok or should I redo the missing ones (docking after Eeloo Landing, Eeloo ascent etc)?

I like a shot of the ships docked, but you do have them in the same pic and in other pics I could see that each had a docking port. So I'm totally happy with what you got.

Onward!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow @jost, you did well...Now that I'm back after a long time doing "Nothing", I'm finally prepared to Continue, just Finished a Jool 5 Non-ISRU Full Science Module, though i might forget that Gravioli Thing, just the matter of Execution and Sticking those things together while keeping them cool.

On 4/23/2019 at 2:35 AM, FloppyRocket said:

Progress (or lack thereof) update:

I'm in "All about Eve" mode. Never been there before, so I've got a lot to learn. I'm currently experimenting with lander designs in a Sandbox game. Right now I have a tall/skinny lander doing very gentle aerobraking passes, losing about 2 m/s per orbit. It is a very slow process. 

Sweet...You can probably use this as an Inspiration, if you don't really care about Science Gains...

RneSr4M.png

On 4/22/2019 at 7:34 PM, zanie420 said:

I am HEAVILY considering it. First I would like to make KSP as graphically beautiful as I can.... any suggestions from the peanut gallery? I have to be honest, I am confused between SVE, EVE, Astronomer's pack, and the other graphics mods. Not sure which replaces which, and what is compatible with what.

Use EVE if you can handle that, i used SVE because My Pentium Hate Many Mods, and practically Self Supporting since you don't require Extra Mods, SVE was said to be a Humble Version of EVE for Weak PC.

On 6/18/2019 at 5:07 AM, GRS said:

Sweet...You can probably use this as an Inspiration, if you don't really care about Science Gains...

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've gone idle on this project, as I'm at a low of enthusiasm for the amount of effort required for the Eve and Jool missions.

Edited by FloppyRocket
removed image

1 hour ago, FloppyRocket said:

I've gone idle on this project, as I'm at a low of enthusiasm for the amount of effort required for the Eve and Jool missions.

I can relate regarding Eve. Jool 5s I find fun, but Eve is and always has been a slog.

16 hours ago, FloppyRocket said:

Eve is always a trouble, But you can find Inspirations on YouTube, if you want to drop a Lander, drop it to 75 Km or something, Jool 5 would be Extremely Troublesome if you want to Dig Max Science.

@5thHorseman, Mind if i get more Details...? I think you forgot to write "No Landing Legs", and try Removing "After Kerpollo" in the 5 Kerbal info to avoid confusion

Edited by GRS

10 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I'm not always the brightest knife in the shed but I don't know what you mean by these.

Oopsie...I'm bad at talking, sorry...

Simply Add "No Actual Landing Legs Used" or sort of in my Entrant List, and Remove "After Kerpollo" in the 5 Kerbals (After Kerpollo) Part, If you're confused, it's fine to not add them.

Also, my Sheepollo is preparing to Land on Tylo, i still need to dig some Science before Landing, Should get 80 Experiments now... #Ambitious

Edited by GRS

Dunapollo finished with whopping 4920 Science: https://imgur.com/a/4nKJv4g

It turned out to be a good idea to do atmosphere diving, not only for lowering AE for free but also for getting science.  My orbiter also had a Sentinel telescope for asteroid scanning and an orbital scanner. But most important: I had way to much delta v for the mission so i changed to a polar orbit and back to maximise science :)

All in all: A successful mission.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.