Stock part edits

Gapone

The NCS Adapter has been a fuel tank in Stock since 1.0 AFAIK

In 1.6 the Kerbodyne ADTP-2-3 has also received a fuel tank addition, by popular demand.

I believe some people had modded Fuel Tanks into wings that don't have them (and in some cases, modded wings that only carry LF to carry LFO instead).

Why would you? I thought the whole purpose of playing a game was to go with the tools you've got. 

I mod KSP sometimes however I have/do play stock....I just can't see why something should be changed?...seems to me like it's a bit cheaty if I'm honest...

I know I'll get hung for saying cheaty yet when I play Asseto Corsa should I increase my top speed before I hit the limiter via a settings file?

I also know that changing a part for some players is essential to how they play, and cheaty then doesn't apply.

Please don't kill me....just my thoughts 

Edited by maceemiller

Some rules and limitations make an interesting game, so you play the game trying to succeed within those rules.

Some rules are frustrating. Frustration is subjective so which which ones are frustrating varies from person to person.  
Those are rules to change.  

Often, we post our changes on Suggestions/Development thread or the community list of Module Manager Patches

1 hour ago, maceemiller said:

Why would you? I thought the whole purpose of playing a game was to go with the tools you've got.

Because sometimes I find that the design decisions made by the most honorable crew at Squad doesn't align fully with my own.

I have no issues with design constraints, but I'll also avoid  annoyance in a game.

Let's not forget that at least some of the mods exist to deliberately make the game harder.

Anyone for Life Support?

Stock-only can be a challenge. But selected mods can be a challenge too. In the same way that some people are only interested in Sandbox Mode play, while others regard Career Mode as "the game" and Sandbox Mode as the testing environment.

It's just not worth the effort to judge other players in a single player game on their modding choices or motivations.

2 hours ago, Espatie said:

It's just not worth the effort to judge other players in a single player game on their modding choices or motivations.

That's just BS.  There is only one single way to play this game, and the developers' choice to allow modding leads to one singular conclusion.

The only correct way to play is the way that I play, and if you're doing it differently, then you are cheating!  It's obvious that the personal choices I make to constrain myself are the only possible ones to make, and if you choose a different set, then you have made a very wrong decision, and I will regard you as nothing but an inferior KSP player, not worthy of notice.

:wink:

(Also, the Thermometer, Barometer, Accelerometer, etc. transmit scalar is set to 1, since it makes sense.)

Edited by razark

I haven't tried modding parts specifically, but since I use MechJeb I tend to adjust the Parts .cfg to obtain "Ascent Guidance" in the 'Advanced Flight Control' selection. It makes sense from a realism point of view; once KSC has the ability to launch liquid-fuel rockets into orbit and automate numerous controls, a simple autopilot should be easy.

Parachutes all get new defaults so I don't have to keep adjusting them in the VAB. This might have been my first patch ever.

Several parts have been copied and rescaled for new sizes of fuel tanks. For most diameters I have a tank half the height of the smallest and I've added fuel to most of the aero cones.

I've written part upgrades for the LV-T series of engines for thrust and ISP bumps at higher tech levels than the parts were introduced. I keep meaning to go back and do others, but just haven't gotten around to it. I'm using CTT, so I've got more nodes to fill. I've also done part upgrades for a couple parts like the hitchhiker to boost its crashworthiness at high tech level. 

On 12/30/2018 at 1:01 PM, Pecan said:

I don't and haven't because it makes it impossible to share craft.

This is not true, even ignoring the fact that KerbalX has lots of modded ships that people shared.

I modify all RCS jets to be off by default on yaw/pitch/roll.

I modify all pods with monoprop to not have monoprop in them by default.

There are dozens if not hundreds of other little things you can tweak on stock parts, yet keep the ships stock.

I have a giant folder called "TykoMods" that contains all of the tweaks I've made to either the Stock game or other mods. When I first started I was pulling ideas from The community database of MM patches and from Unmanned Before Manned. Now I have my own custom tech tree and lots of parts tweaked. I just copy this folder from game to game and update it as necessary. I've thought about publishing it somehow, because IMHO it's a great experience (obviously I think that :) ), but it would be a bear to support.

On 12/30/2018 at 1:38 PM, maceemiller said:

No, I'm pretty sure that the purpose of playing a game is to have fun.

"Go with the tools you've got" is one way to do that.  But there are others.

Just because the folks at Squad have designed something in a certain way doesn't mean that that's optimally fun for everyone.  Squad's not perfect, they can make "mistaken" design decisions just like anyone else.  (Heck, Squad themselves know this and acknowledge it.  They rebalance things.  For example, KSP 1.6 just came out, and they did a lot of rebalancing of the Making History engines.  And kudos to them for doing so.)

Besides, there's no such thing as perfect:  for a given part design,

• player A thinks it's just right
  • player B thinks it's massively overpowered and needs nerfing
  • player C thinks it's massively underpowered and needs buffing

And also different people want different things out of the game.  Are you telling a story, with kerbals?  Or are you enjoying a fun design challenge to maximize some engineering benefit?  Or something else?

It's perfectly legitimate to want to tweak things.  For example, for the longest time it bugged the heck out of me that the Mk1-2 command pod and Mk2 lander can were freakishly, stupidly overweight.  The kilograms-per-crew-slot were way worse than any other part; they were incredibly out of balance, to the point that I wanted not to use them.  So, what should I do?  Simply design my rockets and never use those parts at all?  That's what I did, for quite a while.  Was able to accomplish all the missions I want, live up to any engineering challenges that the game threw at me.  But that meant that these parts were useless; wasted; just sitting there taking up space for no reason.  I kept hoping with each game version update that Squad would finally fix these parts... but it kept not happening.  So I finally went ahead and just modded the weight down to a balance that was more in keeping with all the other crewed parts in the game.  And suddenly, voilà!  I had two new parts to play with which allowed me to exercise my design creativity-- without making the game any "easier".  So how is that a "cheat", even if that term has any meaning for a single-player sandbox-type game?

(And eventually, a few KSP versions later, Squad finally deprecated those parts and replaced them with new, rebalanced ones:  the Mk1-3 pod and revised Mk2 lander can.  And guess what?  The new stats are pretty damn close to the numbers that I picked!  So that's a fair amount of validation right there.)

Or take the Vector engine.  I loathed that engine from the moment it was introduced.  I thought it was horribly, awfully out of whack-- way too powerful in some ways, way too hard in others.  It seemed like a very poorly balanced part to me.  That's not to criticize Squad-- I'm sure there are lots of players out there who loved the engine.  It may very well be that Squad did the right thing for the player-population-as-a-whole to release it as they did-- I'm in no position to judge.  However, I am in a position to judge how it worked for me, and it... didn't.  It was just wrong.  So I simply never used the part.  Ever.  And eventually I figured, well, this is silly, it's just sitting there taking up space.  So it finally prompted me to create my first (very simple) mod, a MM patch that rebalanced and repurposed the engine.  It was a rebalance that made the engine better in some ways, worse in others-- but, most importantly for me, made it interesting and useful.  And suddenly I had a new part to play with.

So... nothing wrong with any of that.  Tweaking stock parts isn't any different from modding any other part of the game; it's simply a convenient way for the player to make the game more fun for themselves.

And having fun is what a game is all about, right?

It's kind of the point:)

6 hours ago, Snark said:

Or take the Vector engine.  I loathed that engine from the moment it was introduced.

To be fair, the Vector is based on the IRL RS-25 engine, which is already pretty overpowered. I mean, 1,860 kN of thrust and 366 seconds of Isp ASL with a gimbal range of 10.5 degrees is pretty silly.

11 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

To be fair, the Vector is based on the IRL RS-25 engine, which is already pretty overpowered. I mean, 1,860 kN of thrust and 366 seconds of Isp ASL with a gimbal range of 10.5 degrees is pretty silly.

haha...yea, the game designers of "NASA - The Real Life Game" really screwed the balance of that part up. Maybe it'll get nerfed in the next patch  :P   

Edited by Tyko

On 1/3/2019 at 2:58 PM, Tyko said:

I have a giant folder called "TykoMods" that contains all of the tweaks I've made to either the Stock game or other mods. When I first started I was pulling ideas from The community database of MM patches and from Unmanned Before Manned. Now I have my own custom tech tree and lots of parts tweaked. I just copy this folder from game to game and update it as necessary. I've thought about publishing it somehow, because IMHO it's a great experience (obviously I think that :) ), but it would be a bear to support.

I've considered doing something similar for myself and would be interested in seeing what you've put together. If it's just a bunch of config files, maybe just compress the folder and share it using Google Drive or similar.

Edited by Lord Aurelius

2 hours ago, Lord Aurelius said:

I've considered doing something similar for myself and would be interested in seeing what you've put together. If it's just a bunch of config files, maybe just compress the folder and share it using Google Drive or similar.

I'll take a look at what's shareable. My tech tree mods is based on unmanned before manned with a bunch of customization. The core UBM license is very restrictive though, so I can't share that. The rest should be okay.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.