[KSP 1.8 - 1.12+] - Probes Before Crew [PBC] Version 2.93

_Zee

Zee's "Probes Before Crew" CTT Overhaul
KSP Version 1.8 - 1.12+
Update - September 10 2021

The Voting Poll has been retired. Thanks to all that participated.
Final Poll Results Here

Hello everyone! I would like to present a CTT overhaul I have been working on since the release of 1.6. I call it Probes Before Crew, and it does what it says on the box; it places remote technologies far ahead of crewed alternatives on the tech tree while also placing greater significance and reward on crewed actions and achievements as a result. The intent of this mod is to make your career campaign balanced, intuitive, and challenging by ensuring all the mods that you are using interact with one another in a coherent way on the tech tree. If you would like to have a look through my notes and read a more verbose explanation of my changes and the reasoning behind a lot of my choices, I will place them in a spoiler below. 

= = = = = The Highlights:

• Generally speaking, all tech categories were stretched out a bit to enjoy all the new leg-room the CTT gives us.
  • Probe Cores come first, and now possess their own form of crew report, the 'Telemetry Report'. Cockpits don't show up until T4, and Command Modules must wait until T5.
  • A purpose-built, completely optional Contract Pack by Zee that overhauls the economy of the game and aims to make it more challenging.
  • Antenna, Electrical, Science, Utilities, Thermals, ISRU, etc;  they have all been re-positioned [and in some cases mildly tweaked] with careful consideration of one another.
  • Science Overhauled and Re-balanced; Experiments are less tedious, more spread out across the tech tree branches, and place higher significance/reward on the experiments that REQUIRE a Kerbal be present.
  • Celestial Body Science Multipliers have been re-scaled so that your career no longer feels finished by the time you reach Duna. 
    • PLEASE NOTE: Science rewards have been reduced overall. I recommend you do not set the Science slider below 70%, and that's under the assumption you are at least using DMagic Orbital Science (If not, consider moving the slider higher).

This chart is not an exhaustive list of all the vanilla parts I've moved, it just highlights the big players and gives you a general idea of their new relationship to each other.
This chart serves as the guideline/reference point for mod support patches as I add them.

4Ss9Clu.png

= = = = = Supported Mods

"Supported" Mod means I have gone through every part, science definition, and entry/VAB cost for that mod and placed everything in a way as to be consistent with all other supported mods.
This means a unified, intuitive, and logical experience as you progress through the tech tree with all your favorite mods.
As of Aug 2021, this list is likely in its final state. All further PBC updates will generally be maintenance updates only.

Probes Before Crew covers:

1. Vanilla Parts.
  2. Making History Expansion.
  3. Breaking Ground Expansion.  = = =  Core Chart with BG added.
  4. Pairs well with Strategia.
  5. B9 Aerospace Core Pack.  = = = = = Core Chart with B9 added.
  6. DMagic Orbital Science. = = = = = = Core Chart with DMagic added. 
  7. Kerbal Attachment System (KAS).Core Chart with KAS added.
  8. Kerbal Inventory System (KIS). = =  Core Chart with KIS added.
  9. Kerbal Operating System (kOS).= = Core Chart with kOS added.
  10. Kerbalism  = = = = = = = = = = = = =  Core Chart with Kerbalism added. = = = (Kerbalism Users be sure to read the v2.7 Changelog Notes below)
  11. Near Future. (All 7 Packs) = = = = = Core Chart with NF added.
  12. MkIV Spaceplane System. =  = =  = Core Chart with Mk4 added.
  13. Missing History = = = = = = = = = =  Core Chart with MH added.
  14. Planetary Base Systems. = = = = = Core Chart with PBS added.
  15. Probe Control Room.  = = = = = = = Core Chart with PCR added.
  16. RealChute. = = = = = = = = = = = = = Core Chart with RC added.
  17. RemoteTech.  = = = = = = = = = = =  Core Chart with RT added.
  18. RLA Stockalike Reborn. = = = = = = Core Chart with RLA added.
  19. SCANsat.  = = = = = = = = = = = = =  Core Chart with SCANsat added.
  20. StationPartsExpansionRedux. =  = Core Chart with SPER added.
  21. TAC Life Support. = = = =  = = = = = Core Chart with TACLS added.
  22. Universal Storage 2. = = = = = = = = Core Chart with US2 added.
  23. USI - Life Support. = = = = = = = = = Core Chart with USILS added.

If you use mods not listed its completely fine, they just might unlock at odd times relative to the rest of PBC.
If there are mods listed that you don't use, no worries! This mod ignores making changes to mods you don't have, and none of them are required.

= = = = = Original Built-For-PBC Contract Pack

er9teP5.png

If you choose to use my contract pack, quick facts you should know:

• All you need to do to "enable it" is install Contract Configurator by Nightingale. That's it!
    • Another mod by Nightingale, Strategia pairs very well with this contract pack. Highly recommended.
  • This contract pack is purpose built for this techtree, so I'm not releasing it as a separate mod and I offer no support if you try to use it without PBC.
  • The vanilla tutorial and exploration contracts are disabled when running PBC Contracts. Mini-milestones will provide smaller rewards. They will no longer shower us with easy money in the early game! 
  • Any vessel you land on a given body that meets all pre-reqs will be a valid candidate vessel to complete the "Return Home" parameter; leaving you to do so at your own pace with any valid vessel you want.
    • PLEASE NOTE: Just like the notice above about Science, I recommend you keep your funds slider at least at 80% if using PBC Contracts. The economy has been overhauled and made much more challenging.
                                  You will feel the difference between 100% > 90% > 80%.

= = = = = Download / Installation

Most Recent Release Post - v2.93

1. KSP Versions prior to 1.6.0 are not compatible. Absolute minimum KSP Version is 1.6+. Recommended minimum KSP version is 1.8+.
2. ModuleManager is a dependency that must be installed first.
3. CommunityTechTree is a dependency that must be installed first.
4. If you wish to enable my Contract Pack, Contract Configurator must be installed. This step is optional.
5. Download the latest version of PBC here.
6. If you are updating a previous install, completely delete any folders from your previous PBC install from the GameData folder.
7. Copy all folders contained within the new .zip archive into your GameData folder.

If you're here to update your PBC install and you've enjoyed the mod so far, consider hitting this post with a like. T9C2z5C.png :)

= = = = = Donations:

If you're feeling generous, you can donate here.

Dvw1MXN.png

= = = = = Recommended Settings

Difficulty will always be subjective and you are always free to play how you want.
But as a guideline, these are the settings I personally use when I want a challenging Career using my mod:

Spoiler

35trzCk.png

WY9JQsW.png

= = = = = For those who love the details:

Spoiler

//Zee's Probes Before Crew

While designing this mod, I kept these 3 rules in mind:

1) Gameplay first
2) Realism second
3) Vanilla Balance guides Mod Balance

//Contract Pack

- - - The PBC techtree has been designed to more-or-less force you to launch probes to any given celestial body before you can send crew, at least up to the mid-game if not beyond.
The PBC contract tree, however, tracks Probe Firsts and Crewed Firsts separately and independently. In this contract pack there exist "Layer Locks", such as (Mun & Minmus) before (Duna & Eve) before (etc.), but Probes and Crew progress are separate. This means you aren't pigeon-holed into writing a single "history". If your agency happens to be doing well and is capable of sending Crewed missions to Duna before Probes, then that's fantastic! and you should receive the due acknowledgement now without being forced to take necessarily arbitrary steps first. If, on the other hand, your agency is starved of Science due to some early career mishap or some such thing, then you'll be naturally forced to send Probes before Crew. (This is all assuming you're using a Life Support mod, which you are, right?)

The point is your natural pace of progression dictates the order in which you receive rewards, not the other way around. Long Live Gameplay!

- - - I'll also point out that the number of steps between "First Visit" and "Planet Complete" has been simplified as compared to vanilla. This is a case where excess granularity was actually a bad thing, it just makes things tedious. Do we really need to separate every possible stage of descent to understand all the steps necessary to complete a landing? I say no. This way is more concise and meaningful. 

//Probes

Probes
01. Stayputnik EC 10
02. OCTO  EC 50
03. HECS  EC 100
04. QBE  EC 250
05. Rover  EC 500
05. OCTO2   EC 500
06. MK2 Drone Core EC 800
07. RC -001S EC 1000
08. HECS2 EC 2000
09. RC -L01 EC 4000

Previous EC values were under 50 for nearly all cores.
Internal Electric Charge increased significantly for all cores, in a progressive tiered manner.
Represents your agencies increasing proficiency at condensing and utilizing energy storage.
All Probes now carry an embedded telemetry experiment (details below).

//Crewed CMs

Crewed CMs
01. Mk1 Command Pod EC 100
02. Mk1 Lander Can EC 150
03. Mk2 Lander Can EC 250
04. Mk1-3 Command Pod EC 500

Crewed CMS were also given a moderate increase to EC capacity, although not as much as equally tiered cores.

//Crewed Cockpits

Crewed Cockpits
01.    Mk1 Cockpit EC 50
01.5 Mk1 Crew Cabin n/a
02.   Mk1 Inline Cockpit EC 100
03.   Mk2 Cockpit EC 200
04.   Mk2 Inline Cockpit EC 250
04.5 Mk2 Crew Cabin n/a
05.    Mk3 Cockpit EC 1000
05.5 Mk3 Passenger Module n/a

Crewed Cockpits were also given a moderate EC increase.

//Antenna

Antenna
Name Type Vanilla PBC
01. Communotron 16-S Direct 500k 250k
02. Communotron 16 Direct 500k 1Mil
03. HG-5 High Gain Relay 5Mil 20Mil
04. Communotron DTS-M1 Direct 2Bil 5Bil
05. RA-2 Relay Antenna Relay 2Bil 2Bil
06. Communotron HG-55 Direct 15Bil 25Bil
07. RA-15 Relay Antenna Relay 15Bil 20Bil
08. Communotron 88-88 Direct 100Bil 100Bil
09. RA-100 Relay Antenna Relay 100Bil 100Bil

Antenna ranges and tech unlock positions have been paired in a way to make the research points required in the early game a bit more forgiving, while the late game gets a bit less forgiving.
Direct Antenna now have a longer range than their Relay equivalent. Because antenna unlocks are more spread out from one another, the options are varied and choices will need to be made when designing craft.
If RemoteTech is detected, the above chart is void and all range changes defer to RT. Check the chart map in the Supported Mods section above to see all antenna ranges when using RT.

//Science EXPERIMENTS

Science
Experiment Vanilla PBC Occur 100% Return Only Kerbal Needed
new. telemetryReport n/a 2 425    
03. temperatureScan 8 4 578    
04. barometerScan 12 6 425    
08. gravityScan 22 8 544    
01. crewReport 5 10 560   KN
09. atmosphereAnalysis 24 12 510    
05. mysteryGoo 13 12 425 RO  
07. seismicScan 22 12 170    
02. evaReport 8 14 425   KN
12. magnetometer 45 14 34    
10. mobileMaterialsLab 32 18 425 RO  
06. infraredTelescope 22 25 17    
11. surfaceSample 40 30 340 RO KN
13. asteroidSample 70 50 10? RO KN

2 Quick notes when reading this chart:
The list numbers might seem out of order, and that's because they represent the order of least paying to most paying experiments as they are in vanilla.
The 'occur' is just my psuedo method of measuring how often each experiment can be done in the universe, and was just used to quickly compare ratios.

There are a total of 13 vanilla science experiments that can be run. Only 4 of them need a Kerbal present to run, and yet 2 of them have the lowest yields in the game. The "Kerbal Needed" premium wasn't paying our hard working astronauts enough. With this mods intention of making crewed flights more meaningful, science reward values have been re-balanced to result in a larger percentage of the "total science point pool" belonging to those 4 experiments. (Crew Report, EVA Report, Surface Sample, Asteroid Sample). More importance/reward was given to experiments that are, in general, a bigger pain in the butt to bring (Goo, Materials Lab, Infrared).

With the exception of (Goo, Materials, Surface Sample, and Asteroid Sample), all vanilla experiments can be transmitted for 100% science points. 
This illuminates the second 'premium' experiments should pay, the "Return Only" premium, which these 4 experiments now reflect.
Just an interesting observation, the Surface Sample and Asteroid Sample are the only 2 experiments that get to double dip both premiums, and their payouts reflect this well.
Returning an experiment home always means that experiment never needs to be redone (also true in most transmission cases too, see above).
Crew Reports will pay attention to biomes when in low space, but EVA Reports will not.

The net result of all these changes is slower overall science point generation as compared to vanilla. The other net result is a less tedious, more 'achievement-based' satisfying tech crawling experience, imho. I like the general idea of new science experiments being a bit more spread around the tree vs. living exclusively on one branch, it supports more interesting and varied gameplay.
In the case of supported mods that add science experiments, the same methods were applied. Values are tweaked when needed and RO and KN premiums will be reflected. In most cases, if the mods original design requires return for 100% it will remain that way.

//Breaking Ground Deployable Science EXPERIMENTS

Science
Experiment Vanilla PBC Kerbal Needed
01. deployedGooObservation 45 32 KN
02. deployedWeatherReport 60 42 KN
03. deployedSeismicSensor 80 56 KN
04. deployedIONCollector 100 70 KN

A simple 30% reduction to all experiment yields from Breaking Ground, keeping in line with the above changes. 

//Science MULTIPLIERS

One problem that has long plagued career-mode in KSP is the sudden flood of Science that seems to happen as soon as you arrive at another planet, usually Duna or Eve for most people. In spite of all the science reward nerfs that are mentioned above, it still feels like you suddenly unlock the entire tree all at once with only a single interplanetary orbiter and lander probe. I'm exaggerating of course (if only a little) but the vanilla configuration is scaled completely out of whack and definitely needs tuning. The chart below will really illustrate how quickly the income gets out of hand in vanilla and shows that no matter what you do with your science slider, progress will never scale correctly. It will either be way too slow in the beginning, or way too fast in the mid. Thanks to the ever-valuable efforts of DMagic, we have access to a mod (Science Param Modifier) that allows us to tweak these multipliers.
You will find this mod packaged with PBC starting in Version 2.5 and above.

Celestial Body Science Multipliers
++ Vanilla Vanilla Vanilla Vanilla Vanilla Vanilla || PBC PBC ++
Body Landed Splashed FlyLow FlyHigh SpaceLow SpaceHigh || Landed AllElse Notes
Kerbin 0.3x 0.4x 0.7x 0.9x 1x 1.5x || 1.5x 0.8x (SpaceAny) and AllElse for Kerbin
Mun 4x       3x 2x || 3x 2x  
Minmus 5x       4x 2.5x || 3.5x 2.5x  
Kerbol     1x 1x 11x 2x || 6x 2.5x (SpaceLow) and AllElse for Kerbol
Moho 10x       8x 7x || 5x 4x  
Eve 8x 8x 6x 6x 7x 5x || 4x 3x (Land&Splash) and AllElse for Eve
Gilly 9x       8x 6x || 4.5x 3.5x  
Duna 8x   5x 5x 7x 5x || 4x 3x  
Ike 8x       7x 5x || 4x 3x  
Dres 8x       7x 6x || 4x 3x  
Jool     12x 9x 7x 6x || 5x 3.5x (FlyAny) and AllElse for Jool
Laythe 14x 12x 11x 10x 9x 8x || 5.5x 4.5x (Land&Splash) and AllElse for Laythe
Vall 12x       9x 8x || 5x 4x  
Tylo 12x       10x 8x || 5x 4x  
Bop 12x       9x 8x || 5x 4x  
Pol 12x       9x 8x || 5x 4x  
Eeloo 15x       12x 10x || 6x 5x  

These changes will do a lot for stretching out your career.

• Expect Kerbin to provide a lot more Science, but the Moons to provide less. The net result for the early game should be roughly the same.
  • Expect the mid and late game to be considerably slower.
  • Expect everything to finally scale properly.

//Utility+Misc

Batteries were shifted to earlier nodes overall.
Radial Parachutes shifted to a later node, advSurvivability.
Small heat shields made available earlier, larger shields moved to thermal branch.
Med and large TCS moved to thermal branch.
Low-quality EC generators made available moderately sooner. Small static solar panel moved to survivability. Fuel Cell and non-retractables moved to electrics.
Ladders moved to earlier nodes overall.
Docking Ports and Decouplers shifted to follow the general flow of fuel tanks and engines size increases, now more granular.
Created new "Tiny Basic Fin" part intended for 0.6m profiles. Available at Start.

// Resource Exploitation

01. M700 Scanner
02. Narrow Band Scanner
03. Surface Scanner
04. Mini Drill
06. Mini Storage
08. Mini Convertor
05. Full Drill
07. Full Storage
09. Full Convertor

Resource Exploitation was stretched out in general to make progression more granular. Previously all the tech existed in only 2 nodes. It now resides across 4 nodes.
Scanning technologies become available before small inefficient extraction techs, which become available before large efficient extraction techs.

= = = = = Changelog:

Spoiler

//// Version 2.93 Changes

Added support for 38 new parts from StationPartsExtendedRedux (thanks for the heads up @Cholerix)
Updated Core Chart with SPER image

//// Version 2.92 Changes

Increased EVA Suit mass carry limit from .1 to .105 (weather unit)
Updated Kerbalism patch with 11 new parts, Prosemian containers (thanks @kitamoboz)

//// Version 2.91 Changes

*Antenna Range Rework, adjusting recommended DSN modifier from 80% to 35%
- Increased low-end Relay from 5M to 20M
- Increased mid-range Direct from 20G to 25G
- Increased mid-range Relay from 15G to 20G
- Increased high-end Relay from 75G to 100G
Updated Core and Deprecated to include Version-2 HG-5 Antenna (low-end Relay)
Updated Core to include Stock Magnetometer science part
- If DMagic is present, the Stock Magnetometer is removed from the game (2 identical parts with separate science tracking is no good)
Increased SAS Service Level by 1 for - Vanilla QBE Probe Core, RLA_Reborn "TET" Probe Core, USI Mk1 Wedge Probe Core
Updated USI to include USI Mk2 Wedge Probe Core
Increased Kerbal volume and mass carry limits so carrying an EVA Suit and ANY ground experiment at the same time is now possible. Coming up just short was so obnoxious...

//// Version 2.9 Changes

*Updated for KSP 1.12+
MiniAVC folder removed from download package, version file updated
Removed patch that was resurrecting deprecated ScanSAT parts
Updated new ScanSAT part placements

//// Version 2.8 Changes

*Updated for KSP 1.8.0/1.8.1
*Added Breaking Ground Expansion support.
*Added KSP v1.8 Bonus-Parts support.
Added new custom part - R061 Turboshaft Engine; a 0.6m LF Prop Engine for early aviation.
Added newly reskinned vanilla parts to existing patches, moved deprecated variants to existing anti-exploit patch.
Sorted new Universal Storage 2 Probe Core.
Corrected xmit values for all Universal Storage 2 science wedges.
Corrected Missing History [EnginePlate1] cost.
Adjusted Breaking Ground deployable science yields to match the rest of PBC. (reduced to 70% of vanilla yields).
Dropped tech unlock node position for mid-game and higher antenna by ONE(1) (RA-2, HG-55, RA-15, Comm 88-88, RA-100).
Repackaged ScienceParamModifier mod in PBC download (it was never meant to be removed, whoops!)

//// Version 2.7 Changes

*Updated for KSP 1.7.0.
*Added Planetary Base Systems mod support.
*Added additional preemptive support for Kerbalism 3.0.0.
    Choosing to enable Kerbalism's 'Feature Science' will automatically override PBC's science reward values.
    Choosing to disable Kerbalism's 'Feature Science' will automatically reinstate PBC's science reward values.
Reduced research cost of SPER 18-man inflatable hab.
Sorted new vanilla 3.7m and 5m Nosecones.

//// Version 2.6 Changes

*Added USI - Life Support mod support
*Added support for 6 new KIS parts.
When SPER and USI-LS are both installed, the Visual Observation experiment will be available on the USI cupolas.
Added reminder note in probe contracts to tag your vessel as a PROBE, vs RELAY, ROVER, DEBRIS, etc.
Fixed Dres Contract sort order.
Corrected DMagic - Small SIGINT antenna range from 1Tril to 50bil.
Shifted DMagic - Small SIGINT 3 nodes later.
Corrected DMagic - Large SIGINT antenna range from 10Tril to 500Bil.
Shifted DMagic - Large SIGINT 2 node later.
Shifted TACLS 2.5m Storage parts one node later.
Shifted TACLS 2.5m Recycler parts two nodes later.
Shifted TACLS 3.7m Storage parts one node later.
Shifted TACLS 3.7m Recycler parts one node later.
Shifted SPER 2.5m Greenhouse two nodes later.
Shifted SPER 3.7m Storage parts one node earlier.
Shifted SPER 3.7m Greenhouse & Aqua one node later.
Shifted Kerbalism 2.5m Greenhouse two nodes later.
Shifted Kerbalism 2.5m Storage parts one node later.
Shifted Kerbalism 3.7m Storage parts one node later.

//// Version 2.51 Changes

Small hotfix to ensure CKAN users receive the correct celestial multipliers.

//// Version 2.5 Changes

*Integrated Science Param Modifier by DMagic; Celestial Multipliers Overhauled.
*Added B9 Aerospace Core Pack Support.
*Added RLA Reborn Support.
Pre-KSP_v1.6 parts now mirror their updated post-KSP_v1.6 variants. Thank you @4x4cheesecake!
    (Note this just prevents potential exploits. KSP versions prior to 1.6 are still not supported)
Corrected lack of entry cost for Mk1 parachute and Modular Girder.
Corrected antenna range of DMagic Soil Moisture from 100bil to 3.5bil
Corrected antenna range of US2 variant of DMagic Soil Moisture from 50bil to 5bil
Corrected NF-Spacecraft engine costs.
Shifted DMagic MiniGoo and MiniLab laterally from Construction branch to SpecializedScienceTech.
Shifted NearFuture 0.6m Structural parts laterally to PrecisionEngineering.
Shifted vanilla Place-anywhere 1-port RCS block one node earlier.
Shifted NF-Spacecraft RX-1 Linear RCS block one node earlier.
Updated Readme.

//// Version 2.4 Changes

*Added MkIV Spaceplane Support.
*Added KAS Support.
*Added KIS Support.
CKAN updated to include more details and current information.
Corrected autoAccept to false on Kerbol Contracts.
Corrected placement of 2.5m Service Module.
Corrected placement of Krane and Station Arm.
Corrected overpriced NF-Aero part in High Altitude node.
Removed 2 instances of :NEEDS[Squad Expansion] tag that didn't belong in the main cfg.
Removed unintentional Dmagic-US1 part placements. US1 is not supported.
Shifted several vanilla Mk3 Spaceplane parts into more consistent nodes.
    - Generally speaking, short and medium parts are unlocked with the Mk3 Cockpit, and the large/long parts arrive one node later.
Shifted vanilla Large Radial Decoupler one node later.
Shifted Gravimeter one node later.

//// Version 2.3 Changes

*Added Kerbalism Support
*Added Probe Control Room Support
Moved Science Definitions to a separate file named Zs_Science.cfg.
    -Deleting this file will return Science values to vanilla settings and will allow other mods Science Defs to take precedence.
Removed autoAccept feature from all contracts.
    -Causing more problems than its worth, I'll bring it back when the bug is fixed.

//// Version 2.2 Changes

*Added Near Future Support (all 7 modules; 257 parts reviewed)
*Added RealChute Support
*Added KAS Support (no cfg needed)
*Added KIS Support (no cfg needed)
*Added miniAVC.
Corrected typo preventing Atmospheric Analysis part from appearing in tech tree.
Shifted 0.6m vanilla RCS tank to flight control branch, one node earlier.
Shifted 1.8m and 2.5m vanilla RCS tanks one and two nodes later, respectively.
Shifted short-size 2.5m LFO fuel tank to same node as first 2.5m engine unlocks.
Shifted mid-size 2.5m LFO fuel tanks one node later.

//// Version 2.1 Changes

*Improved Contract Vessel Tracking.
Removed option to cancel contracts. No longer needed.
Small increases to select contract payouts.
Reworked parameter rewards to increase difference between each step.
    -ie, "Fly By" pays less and "Return" pays more
Corrected lack of SPLASHED condition check for Eve and Laythe.
Gave Dres Contracts. Whoops
Corrected parameter message for Crewed Ike contract.

//// Version 2.03 Changes

Created new "Tiny Basic Fin" part intended for 0.6m profiles. Available at Start.
Shifted 0.6m Nose Cone two nodes earlier.
Shifted FL-A5 (Nearly flat 0.6 > 1.2) Adapter three nodes earlier.
Added basic Kopernicus support.
    -- Contracts are still only built for stock planets, but they will work as intended in your Kopernicus install now.
Corrected bug that prevented Eeloo contract from working correctly.

//// Version 2.02 Changes

25% increase to mini-milestone funding rewards.
100% increase to Layer 1 science rewards.
~250% increase to Layer 1 funding rewards.
~25% increase to Layer 2 funding rewards.

//// Version 2.01 Changes

Increased funding-rewards for Layer 1 and Layer 2 contracts (hit em with the nerf hammer too hard)
Small typo fix in Layer 3 Contract config

//// Version 2.0 Changes

*Added Original PBC Contract Pack
Shifted kOS 0.6m to Start Node
Shifted kOS 1.2m one node earlier
Shifted kOS Basic Radial one node earlier
Updated kOS map
Updated Missing History map
-No changes needed for KSP 1.6.1

//// Version 1.7 Changes

*Added RemoteTech Support

//// Version 1.6 Changes

*Added Missing History Support First pass on vanilla and MH fuel tanks.
First pass on vanilla and MH engines.
Shifted Mk2 lander one node later.
Shifted Mk1-3 CM one node earlier.
Shifted Mk2 CM one node earlier.
Shifted 1.2m Reaction Wheel one node earlier.
Shifted 1.2m Nose cones one node earlier.
Shifted Z1k battery one node earlier.
Corrected Entry and VAB costs for a few SPER parts.

//// Version 1.5 Changes

*Added StationPartsExpansionRedux Support
*Telemetry Report experiment is now present on all Probes.
First pass on all vanilla structural parts, and a few misc parts.
Corrected placement of MH 1.8m HS.
Corrected placement of vanilla 2.5m Hitchhiker module.
Shifted placement of vanilla 2.5m Docking Port one node earlier.

//// Version 1.4 Changes

*Added kOS Support.
*Added TAC-LS Support.
*Added SCANsat Support.
Moved vanilla cupola one node later.
Corrected entry and part costs for vanilla CMs.
Corrected entry and part cost for RC-LO1 (largest probe core).

//// Version 1.3 Changes

*Added Universal Storage 2 support
General rule of thumb is if the US2 part is some improved version of an already existing part, it appears one node later than that original part.
US2 Part costs were also heavily rebalanced, they were frequently way too cheap.
First pass on vanilla ladders.
First pass on vanilla decouplers.
First pass on Making History decouplers and engine plates.
First pass on vanilla docking ports.
First pass on Making History docking port.
Submitted mod for inclusion on CKAN.

//// Version 1.21 Changes

*Added Making History support
When Making History is detected, the CM placements are shuffled slightly so things stay nice and granular.
Mk1 Lander shifted one node earlier.
Mk2 Lander shifted one node later.
Mk1-3 shifted one node later.
Corrected placement of Rover Body part. Forgot to reference the new _v2 variant.
Reordered Service Modules.
Switched direct and relay ranges. Direct variants are unlocked before their Relay counterpart and have a longer range,
but are incapable of relaying signals . Now you really have choices to make.

////Version 1.1 Changes

*Added DMagic Orbital Science support
Added more verbose tags for MM, should prevent compatibility issues.
Added SAS to Stayputnik so the first 5 minutes aren't so difficult.
Corrected Atmospheric Sensor not appearing in the tech tree.

//// Version 1.0 Released!

= = = = = License:

Spoiler

This software is released under the MIT License, which in plain English basically states you can do whatever you want with this mod as long as you give me credit and include a copy of the license I've provided in your distribution.

This mod includes version checking using MiniAVC. If you opt-in, it will use the internet to check whether there is a new version available. Data is only read from the internet and no personal information is sent.

Edited by _Zee
PBC Version 2.93 Release

Version 1.1 released

////Version 1.1 Changes

*Added DMagic Orbital Science support.
*Added DMagic Orbital + Universal Storage support. (Original Universal Storage parts havn't yet received their makeover, thats coming next).
Added more verbose tags for MM, should prevent compatibility issues.
Added SAS to Stayputnik so the first 5 minutes aren't so difficult.
Corrected Atmospheric Sensor not appearing in the tech tree.

DMagic Orbital and the DMagic US2 variants are now properly valued, ordered, and updated!
Most base values were left alone, with a few small exceptions. A few techs were moved to slightly earlier positions or moved across the tree to a different branch. DMagic US2 parts are also supported, and instead of placing US parts in the exact same node(which would often immediately obsolete DMagics original parts) or putting them in arbitary nodes all over the tree (which could result in even worse results, unlocking the US variant before the OG), the rule that I've put in place here is that if the part has a US variant it arrives in the tech tree exactly one node after the original. Logical. Satisfying.

To update, just copy my folder over again and overwrite everything. This update is save compatible.

I'm just gonna keep prioritizing the support patches based on my own preference until someone asks for otherwise. :)

Edited by _Zee

8 minutes ago, Ger_space said:

I think I'll restart my career for this mod. Thank you this all looks perfect.

Do you think you can incorporate kOS into a earlier node? 

Thanks so much! Definitely come back with your feedback after you've had a just to play with it for a bit. 

After I finish up with US2, I'll take a look at kOS next! 

Looks promising but I note that (as with many unmanned first mods)  the KSC starts with a basic runway so I would think a basic aircraft should be T1-T2, not as late as T4 for a cockpit.

It also seems to not include the Making History Pods and stuff.

Fantastic! When I get to 1.6, I think Unmanned Before Manned is (finally) going in the bin.

I agree with @jpkerman that planes should be earlier. I also wonder how this plays with something like all of the Near Future mods which fill out the latter part of the CTT.

I would love to contribute, if that's alright. I play a lot with aircraft, if you don't.

Edited by theonegalen

11 minutes ago, Rime Pendragon said:

Good job, but the making history command pods kind of ruin your tech tree. For example, the KV-1 is a starting command module for 1 person, which kind of defeats "Probe before Crew" moniker.

If only there were some way for a mod to move them...

On 12/31/2018 at 6:45 PM, jpkerman said:

Looks promising but I note that (as with many unmanned first mods)  the KSC starts with a basic runway so I would think a basic aircraft should be T1-T2, not as late as T4 for a cockpit.

It also seems to not include the Making History Pods and stuff.

Ya, this is the age-old debate! Having the aircraft appear from the very start would certainly be more realistic and maybe even more immersive.
But I gave it a lot of thought at the beginning of my design and trying to get an Aircraft-only start rolling is very awkward without making a ton of other concessions.

Hear me out and I'll try to explain why.
1) Aircraft require way more parts to operate than a core slapped on top of a booster, which means we would have to stuff the start node with a silly amount of parts, which would also make the mid game for aero feel really, really hollow.
2) Trying to grind science in low Kerbin atmosphere with 2 science modules at the start is incredibly grindy and boring imo. Adding more science modules to the start node just adds to the above problem and screws with balance pretty hard.
3) The first crewed 'thing' you unlock is actually 4 goodies in 1, as it also unlocks access to 3 additional science experiments which happen to be worth quite a bit now. Giving immediate access to all of these at the start is not ideal.
4) Having a seat to spawn a Kerbal in at the very start has this funny effect of making people feel like grinding all the mini biomes at the KSC is just something they have to do to progress. You can of course play how you like and its certainly still an option to squeeze as much science out of Kerbin as you can later in the mid-game if you really want, but doing it just to get into space is not required with my mod and I'm definitely going to keep it that way.

At the end of the day, it just seems like trying to make it work for realism's sake would definitely be at the detriment of gameplay.
Gameplay before realism is my cardinal rule.

On 12/31/2018 at 7:21 PM, Rime Pendragon said:

Good job, but the making history command pods kind of ruin your tech tree. For example, the KV-1 is a starting command module for 1 person, which kind of defeats "Probe before Crew" moniker.

Oh wow I never gave that expansion so much as a glance, I had no idea it added new parts. 
I'll have to eyeball it for a minute but I will fix right away. Thanks for pointing this out.

Edited by _Zee

39 minutes ago, _Zee said:

Oh wow I never gave that expansion so much as a glance, I had no idea it added new parts. 
I'll have to eyeball it for a minute but I will fix right away. Thanks for pointing this out.

_Zee, the pods from the expansion are kv1Pod, kv2Pod, and kv3Pod.   You can check out all the Making History parts here LINK to see if you want to move any others.

Version 1.21 released

//// Version 1.21 Changes

*Added Making History support
When Making History is detected, the CM placements are shuffled slightly so things stay nice and granular.
Corrected placement of Rover Body part. Forgot to reference the new _v2 variant.
Reordered Service Modules.
Switched direct and relay ranges. Direct variants are unlocked before their Relay counterpart and have a longer range,
but are incapable of relaying signals . Now you really have choices to make.

This is savegame compatible, but you need to delete my folder completely before placing the new one in. I changed my file naming scheme to prevent issues in the future, so they won't overwrite this time.

3 hours ago, theonegalen said:

Fantastic! When I get to 1.6, I think Unmanned Before Manned is (finally) going in the bin.

I agree with @jpkerman that planes should be earlier. I also wonder how this plays with something like all of the Near Future mods which fill out the latter part of the CTT.

I would love to contribute, if that's alright. I play a lot with aircraft, if you don't.

Hey @theonegalen  sorry I didn't see your post earlier! I got distracted by the glaring defect of not including the Xpac parts and just started hammering away at the keyboard. :D

Near Future is definitely something that would work well with the end goal here and I will certainly be supporting it.
That one might be awhile though, its not as high a priority at the moment and when I do get to it I imagine it will take some time. Gonna be awesome once its in though, should really tie everything together nicely for those epic decades-long careers.

What did you have in mind when you mention contributing? Either way tyvm for offering!

Edited by _Zee

Does thjis meld well the the unmanned Contract pack? Or will you be making you own contract pack?

Either way thanks for the hard work.

Just 3 mod to consider compatibility for: the first 2 have already been mentioned, Near Future Suite and the USI suite.

and the third being Remote Tech, seeing as your mod move antennas around.

12 hours ago, Rime Pendragon said:

/snip
Can we get this on CKAN ?

I've never used the CKAN, I will look into it for the next release.

12 hours ago, Pand5461 said:

/snip
Have you thought about adding probe functions to command modules through part upgrades?

I'm not sure which probe functions you mean?

4 hours ago, Shizen said:

Does thjis meld well the the unmanned Contract pack? Or will you be making you own contract pack?

/snip

and the third being Remote Tech, seeing as your mod move antennas around.

You mean the old SETIcontracts pack? Those configs are pretty old, I can't speak for them. If it calls on any part names it will probably be broken, 1.6 renamed a lot of parts.
Having my own contract pack would be really nice but its low priority for now until I get more mods supported. I'll add it to my To-Do List. :)
Remote Tech is considered 'essential' for a lot of people, and I go back and forth on using it depending how 'simulated' a career I want, so it will definitely get support eventually.

55 minutes ago, _Zee said:

mean the old SETIcontracts pack? Those configs are pretty old, I can't speak for them. If it calls on any part names it will probably be broken, 1.6 renamed a lot of parts.

I've used SETI contracts with every unmanned tech tree I've ever tried (probably nearly all of them over the years).  It's my preferred career driver and should work fine.  Exploration Plus is also quite good.

1 hour ago, SpinkAkron said:

I've used SETI contracts with every unmanned tech tree I've ever tried (probably nearly all of them over the years).  It's my preferred career driver and should work fine.  Exploration Plus is also quite good.

Have you done so since 1.6 though?

3 hours ago, SpinkAkron said:

I've been curious to try Exploration Plus.  Career Evolution has also been a good one.

I am very excited to see this mod's development- there has been a long absence of a true UBM successor.