[KSP 1.8 - 1.12+] - Probes Before Crew [PBC] Version 2.93

_Zee

On 1/31/2019 at 8:11 PM, _Zee said:

With Mk4 Spaceplane support and now B9, the SSTO line is fully and truly covered.

Nope. :P

12 hours ago, Shizen said:

May i suggest OPT Space Planes.

Yep. :sticktongue:

As maintainer of OPT Spaceplane Parts + OPT Legacy I've cast a vote and nominated the two part packs. OPT Legacy has little in the way of probe cores but provides an additional array of late-game engines. I mention this as I saw explicit mentions of B9's SABRE engines on the B9 chart.

4 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Nope. :P

Yep. :sticktongue:

As maintainer of OPT Spaceplane Parts + OPT Legacy I've cast a vote and nominated the two part packs. OPT Legacy has little in the way of probe cores but provides an additional array of late-game engines. I mention this as I saw explicit mentions of B9's SABRE engines on the B9 chart.

Hahaha an egregious mistake on my part! One thousand pardons and one hundred puppies to you, good sir/madam. :sticktongue:

Its hard to keep track these days! Thank you for voting. :) 

Version 2.6 released

//// Version 2.6 Changes

*Added USI - Life Support mod support
*Added support for 6 newly released KIS parts.
When SPER and USI-LS are both installed, the Visual Observation experiment will be available on the USI cupolas.
Added reminder note in probe contracts to tag your vessel as a PROBE, vs RELAY, ROVER, DEBRIS, etc.
Corrected Dres Contract sort order.
Corrected DMagic - Small SIGINT antenna range from 1Tril to 50bil.
Shifted DMagic - Small SIGINT 3 nodes later.
Corrected DMagic - Large SIGINT antenna range from 10Tril to 500Bil.
Shifted DMagic - Large SIGINT 2 node later.
Shifted TACLS 2.5m Storage parts one node later.
Shifted TACLS 2.5m Recycler parts two nodes later.
Shifted TACLS 3.7m Storage parts one node later.
Shifted TACLS 3.7m Recycler parts one node later.
Shifted SPER 2.5m Greenhouse two nodes later.
Shifted SPER 3.7m Storage parts one node earlier.
Shifted SPER 3.7m Greenhouse & Aqua one node later.
Shifted Kerbalism 2.5m Greenhouse two nodes later.
Shifted Kerbalism 2.5m Storage parts one node later.
Shifted Kerbalism 3.7m Storage parts one node later.

This update corrects a few inconsistencies in the Life Support line. Before Version 2.6, part profiles were unlocking a little too early relative to the rest of the tree, making manned missions obtainable a little sooner than intended. The shifts are modest but noticeable. As of right now, 
SPER (new chart), - Kerbalism (new chart), - TAC-LS (new chart), - and USI-LS (chart)
are the 4 main mods supported by PBC that add to this line in a major way, and they all line up with one another correctly now (that's not to say any of the LS mods should be used simultaneously. Don't do that.)

KIS (new chart) released new parts and they are now sorted.
DMagic (new chart) now has correct antenna ranges across the board.

PBS and MKS have been neck and neck all week. I'm going to let the polls run for another day or 2 before declaring the round 2 winner, give myself a little break. Don't forget to update your votes and nominations.

Have fun!

Edited by _Zee

Second round of voting has concluded!

It was a real close back and forth all week, but Planetary Base Systems will be the next mod support patch to come. It will be removed from the voting list and development starts now.

Don't forget to update your votes and nominations for round three, which starts now.
New current results link.

Edited by _Zee

1 hour ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

\o/ \o/

:)

*update the vote for round three*
Oh, you changed the max. amount of characters in the 'others' textbox? :huh:
*deletes a few characters*

Some of the entries were getting out of hand. One had like 3 URLs in it. :D

So apparently the free surveys from SurveyMonkey only allow 100 responders. The paid plans are insanely expensive and out of the question.

So I'm left with 2 options.
1) Hope that there's a better free option out there (hopefully some of you can recommend something), or
2) wipe all responses after each round and start each round at zero votes. I wanted to try and avoid this for obvious reasons but I might not have a choice.

4 hours ago, _Zee said:

So apparently the free surveys from SurveyMonkey only allow 100 responders. The paid plans are insanely expensive and out of the question.

So I'm left with 2 options.
1) Hope that there's a better free option out there (hopefully some of you can recommend something), or
2) wipe all responses after each round and start each round at zero votes. I wanted to try and avoid this for obvious reasons but I might not have a choice.

if you use google docs/drive, there's a form/quiz builder there. Likely free of those limitations.

Alright, I think I've got a suitable replacement in place and ready for use. Thank you @EchoLima and @Beetlecat for your suggestions, I looked into both of them and it helped a lot.

I had to brush up on my excel functions to get it all working, so if something seems broken just let me know.

This of course means everything has to be reset to zero, so apologies for that.

Cast your votes here. And view the results here ( the updates aren't instant, but only a few minutes apart max). Also disregard the #VALUE! entries in the results chart. Those are just placeholder cells that allow the chart to automatically update itself without me having to check it and republish it.

Edited by _Zee

Just now, Grigetio said:

I just voted. Maybe I voted twice for everything? (But I only voted once for one thing)

Everything started with 2 votes, was something I had to do to get the chart kickstarted correctly. I see your vote on my end already, thank you! :)

@_Zee I got an NRE when using SSPX and "Extended informations about scientific experiments" because the SSPX support patch ("ZsStationPartsXRPatch.cfg") changes the 'usageReqMaskInternal" to 12 for the greenhouse experiments:

@PART[sspx-aquaculture-375-1]:AFTER[StationPartsExpansionRedux]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
	@TechRequired = advLogistics
	@MODULE[ModuleScienceExperiment]:HAS[#experimentID[sspxFishStudy]]
	{
		@usageReqMaskInternal = 12
		@usageReqMaskExternal = 8
		@xmitDataScalar = 1.0
		@interactionRange = 2.25
	}
}

(took me some time to figure this out :confused:)

What's the intention of changing this value? The KSP API doesn't even contain an entry in the enumerator ("ExperimentUsageReqs") for this value. (Well, there is no entry for 5 either but somehow it works anyway)

6 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

The KSP API doesn't even contain an entry in the enumerator ("ExperimentUsageReqs") for this value.

That's because it is a bitwise mask. The value 12 is a combination of 8 (ExperimentUsageReqs.ScientistCrew) and 4 (ExperimentUsageReqs.CrewInPart)

Regarding the significance of changing the values:

usageReqMaskInternal defines the state needed to trigger the experiment from the vessel. usageReqMaskExternal defines the state required to trigger the experiment via EVA.

So in this case, the experiment can be either triggered by a scientist inside the aquaculture lab, or by a scientist on eva just outside the lab.

Edited by d4harp
Clarification

2 hours ago, d4harp said:

That's because it is a bitwise mask. The value 12 is a combination of 8 (ExperimentUsageReqs.ScientistCrew) and 4 (ExperimentUsageReqs.CrewInPart)

usageReqMaskInternal defines the state needed to trigger the experiment from the vessel. usageReqMaskExternal defines the state required to trigger the experiment via EVA.

So in this case, the experiment can be either triggered by a scientist inside the aquaculture lab, or by a scientist on eva just outside the lab.

@4x4cheesecake I couldn't have given a better answer than this.

As to why changing the bitmask is causing this other mod you mentioned to throw NRE's is a different matter. It seems really unlikely that would cause an NRE, you're certain its the bitmask change thats causing it?

3 hours ago, d4harp said:

Thanks for the detailed explanation :) Also the value 5 makes sense now.

29 minutes ago, _Zee said:

As to why changing the bitmask is causing this other mod you mentioned to throw NRE's is a different matter. It seems really unlikely that would cause an NRE, you're certain its the bitmask change thats causing it? 

It is definitly the bitmask which throws an exception since it uses a hardcoded dictionary in the form '<int> key, <string> value' where the key is the bitmask and the value is an description ala "needs crew in part", "need control of vessel", etc....

This dictionary got entries for the bitmask -1, 0, 1, 2, 4, 5 and 8 so as soon as you go to the editor/revert a flight (the latter one triggers the exception everytime), KSP tells you about an missing key-value entry and trows an exception.

Now I know it is a bitmask and not a simple enumerator so I'll redirect this issue to LGG and probably try to find a solution on my own as well^^

Edited by 4x4cheesecake
typo, therer are probably more :)

If it's looking for specific bitmasks and not looking for 12, that would certainly do it. I don't know of any other mod besides PBC that uses 12 for the internal mask so I can see how it would be overlooked.

Thanks for pointing it out to LGG.

Edited by _Zee