[KSP 1.8 - 1.12+] - Probes Before Crew [PBC] Version 2.93

_Zee

11 hours ago, _Zee said:

@modus That's incorrect. This mod does indeed change the celestial body income values. 

@Crixomix The breakdown of the vanilla values vs. modded values can be found in the "More Details" spoiler tag on the front page post.

For anyone wondering about the mods usability with the most up to date version of KSP (1.12.2 as of writing this), there have been multiple reports now that PBC is working without any critical bugs.

In fact I haven't seen any reports of anything really out of place at all. Any new parts added by Supported Mods since my last release could possibly be misaligned with PBC's design, but I'm not aware of anything game-breaking there. I have not revisited the mod since my last post in 2020 and to be completely honest I probably won't with the release of KSP 2 coming up soon.  I'm also currently working another software project of mine that will be a much bigger undertaking than this mod was, so I think its safe to call this mod "Finished" (Who knows, maybe one of these days i'll get an itch to get everything updated one last time).

The invitation to any interested party in taking over maintenance of PBC to get it in sparkling condition for the current release of KSP still stands, and the MIT license grants you permission to do it without even needing to ask me. But by all accounts the mod is working great on 1.12 as is.

All are welcome to continue posting bug reports, request for help, personal patches and fixes that you wanna share. Thanks for all the support while this mod was at its peak everyone! :)

Hi! I'm new to PBC and I'm also using Kerbalism but where exactly can i choose this? I searched in the difficulty settings but can't find it

"*Added additional preemptive support for Kerbalism 3.0.0.
    Choosing to enable Kerbalism's 'Feature Science' will automatically override PBC's science reward values.
    Choosing to disable Kerbalism's 'Feature Science' will automatically reinstate PBC's science reward values."

Is all the functionality from Kerbalism the same but only changed values you can gather? 

---------------------------------

I have one other question about mod support, Restock+ is almost used by everyone and highest voted on the poll for next mod getting support with this mod but will this still be happening to get support? Or do we just have to ignore the crewed sp-1 module we get at the start of the tree?  and will restock+ be totally fine to play with PBC just some parts in the wrong place?

Thanks a lot!

The setting is something you toggle from Kerbalism's settings. PBC just detects the selection you've made.

As for adding Restock+, technically USI - MKS is supposed to be the next patch I add as it was the most recent vote winner. If I ever get another update posted I'll see about fixing the CMs at least. 

On 8/7/2021 at 8:07 AM, _Zee said:

The setting is something you toggle from Kerbalism's settings. PBC just detects the selection you've made.

As for adding Restock+, technically USI - MKS is supposed to be the next patch I add as it was the most recent vote winner. If I ever get another update posted I'll see about fixing the CMs at least. 

Settings in Kerbalism: https://imgur.com/a/X9JLb0S

Do you mean I should set this to false?  "Science = true                      // science data storage, transmission and analysis" 

Doesn't that disable all science features from Kerbalism? 

@Kerdel that's correct. PBCs method of calculating science is fundamentally different from Kerbalism's method of calculating science. They can not run together at the same time, so you must choose which system you want to play with, and you make that choice by either enabling or disabling Kerbalism's science.

Related Post

PBC will make the adjustment automatically based on the setting you select for Kerbalism.

Edited by _Zee

Version 2.9 released

//// Version 2.9 Changes

*Updated for KSP 1.12+
MiniAVC folder removed from download package, version file updated
Removed patch that was resurrecting deprecated ScanSAT parts
Updated new ScanSAT part placements

PBC is officially updated for KSP 1.12+. No new mod support patch with this release, this is primarily a review of the mod to make sure things are working 100% with the current KSP release. I reviewed all the existing support patches and there was very little to update, but the mod is officially updated now.

Enjoy! Let me know if you find anything out of place.

Edited by _Zee

On 8/7/2021 at 2:07 AM, _Zee said:

Sweet, I was just coming to ask about how I could make my own compatibility patch as PBC throws USI's RTGs and all sorts of crazy end-game content down early into the tech tree, even to the 90 Science level.

Are you going to work on all of USI's individual mods in case a user picks and chooses which ones they have, or the Constellation compilation distribution? Constellation releases found here.

Is there any way I can help?

Edited by Kharn

5 hours ago, Kharn said:

/snip
... as PBC throws USI's RTGs and all sorts of crazy end-game content down early into the tech tree, even to the 90 Science level.

/snip

Just for full accuracy, PBC isn't placing those USI parts in those early nodes. Those are just the default tech nodes as defined by USI that you are seeing. 
USI - Life Support is the only USI mod supported by PBC at this time.

If you check the voting poll results you can see that USI - MKS was the mod that won round 4 voting. But to be completely honest I'm not likely to release any more support patches for PBC. All further releases from this point will probably just be maintenance releases to make sure things are still working on the current version of KSP.  That might change, but no promises.

If you want to try your hand at making a support patch - I might consider making a new "Curated Section" on my front page where I can post a list of support patches developed by other people for other mods. A kind of "use at your own risk" submods area for people that want extended support patch coverage. I've floated this idea before though and it never got much traction.

Hello guys!
So I have installed PBC with other mods and there is a quest to bring a probe to mun or minmus... I've builded one but it doesn't recognize it as a probe... it doesn't have any manned modules though... is it a bug?  What should a probe have and what should not? 

Hi @visssius , welcome to the forums.

Please be sure to re-read the contract CAREFULLY. You'll see a section on all of the Probe-class contracts that states -
"You must make sure your probe is tagged as a PROBE, and not a RELAY, DEBRIS, ETC".

Right click the probe core and "Edit Vessel Naming". You can change the vessel tag from there.

Version 2.91 released

//// Version 2.91 Changes

*Antenna Range Rework, adjusting recommended DSN modifier from 80% to 35%
- Increased low-end Relay from 5M to 20M
- Increased mid-range Direct from 20G to 25G
- Increased mid-range Relay from 15G to 20G
- Increased high-end Relay from 75G to 100G
Updated Core and Deprecated to include Version-2 HG-5 Antenna (low-end Relay)
Updated Core to include Stock Magnetometer science part
- If DMagic is present, the Stock Magnetometer is removed from the game (2 identical parts with separate science tracking is no good)
Increased SAS Service Level by 1 for - Vanilla QBE Probe Core, RLA_Reborn "TET" Probe Core, USI Mk1 Wedge Probe Core
Updated USI to include USI Mk2 Wedge Probe Core
Increased Kerbal volume and mass carry limits so carrying an EVA Suit and ANY ground experiment at the same time is now possible. Coming up just short was so obnoxious...

2.91 comes with a minor Antenna rework that better fits the intended pacing of progression in PBC.
The biggest thing to point out is that 0.35 is the new "normal" for the DSN Modifier setting when using PBC.
I've updated the "Recommended Settings" spoiler on the front page with this new screen summarizing a quick breakdown. As usual, if RT is installed PBC's antenna changes are irrelevant and do not apply.

WY9JQsW.png

A few missed parts from vanilla and a few supported mods were added and sorted/valued as well.  A handful of Probe Cores were underpowered in the SAS department for their location in the tech tree, so those have been buffed.
And finally, a small block of code for a big QOL change - the EVA Suit volume and mass limits. (Stock system, not KIS).
Max Vol is increased from 40 to 55, Max Mass from 0.065 to 0.1. No more frustrating lack of EVA Suit when placing things.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the dumb question, but how do you install/begin the contract pack? I thought they need to go in the "ContractPacks" folder usually? How do I know if it's installed correctly?

I tried loading up a career and only see "Kerbalkind Achievment Records" contract" :/

PBC handles contracts a bit differently than most contract packs, for 2 reasons.
1) PBC's contract pack isn't meant to be used independently, and 2) PBC's Contracts replace/remove several stock contracts. 

So all you need to do to enable the PBC contract pack is install Contract Configurator. The K.A.R.A. (Kerbalkind Achievement Records Agency) contracts will be automatically applied.

As for using non-supported mods, you will always be able to do this. Like it says on the front page, just be aware that this means some parts in those mods might not line up with the rest of PBC's design. But in my experience misalignments are usually pretty minor at this point. 

1 hour ago, _Zee said:

PBC handles contracts a bit differently than most contract packs, for 2 reasons.
1) PBC's contract pack isn't meant to be used independently, and 2) PBC's Contracts replace/remove several stock contracts. 

So all you need to do to enable the PBC contract pack is install Contract Configurator. The K.A.R.A. (Kerbalkind Achievement Records Agency) contracts will be automatically applied.

As for using non-supported mods, you will always be able to do this. Like it says on the front page, just be aware that this means some parts in those mods might not line up with the rest of PBC's design. But in my experience misalignments are usually pretty minor at this point. 

ok so it seems my installation was good as I see the K.A.R.A. contracts.

unfortunately i tried to use the amazing restock mod and it removed the starting probes which made the game unplayable. i haven't played vanilla ksp without restock in a long time so we'll see how it goes. 

3 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

ok so it seems my installation was good as I see the K.A.R.A. contracts.

unfortunately i tried to use the amazing restock mod and it removed the starting probes which made the game unplayable. i haven't played vanilla ksp without restock in a long time so we'll see how it goes. 

Hmm, not sure why the starting probe would be missing, you might want to check for other conflicting mods (remove all mods except PBC and Restock, then start adding them back in 1 by 1 to find out which is causing the issue).

I just installed ReStock with my full mod list to test and all the the tech node placements are as they should be. Restock just replaces the mesh/textures, it doesn't change part attributes like TechUnlock so something else is causing your issue.

11 hours ago, _Zee said:

Hmm, not sure why the starting probe would be missing, you might want to check for other conflicting mods (remove all mods except PBC and Restock, then start adding them back in 1 by 1 to find out which is causing the issue).

I just installed ReStock with my full mod list to test and all the the tech node placements are as they should be. Restock just replaces the mesh/textures, it doesn't change part attributes like TechUnlock so something else is causing your issue.

you've given me hope! i love the updated texture so maybe i can get it to work. ill try again,

12 hours ago, _Zee said:

hi, so i tried again with no other mods and it's still not working :(. it looks like restock messes up lots of parts locations
here are screenshots and attached log: https://file.io/SChMzzHQmPQH

WITHOUT Restock, the probe is there:
1-withoutrestock.jpg

WITH Restock, the first probe is gone, so can't fly :(
1-withrestock.jpg

Edited by dresoccer4

Looks like the log file you posted is missing.

I'm looking at the starting node of your 2nd screenshot and I notice that all of the usual starting node placements from PBC are missing, not just the probe core. It looks like something is preventing the application of PBC's mod files. Please post a screenshot of your GameData folder's contents so we can see all the folders in place. I'm grasping at straws, but maybe a fresh re-install will help. The current release of ReStock doesn't make changes to the techtree, period - so I can't explain what you're getting here, sorry mate.

One other thought, we are both talking about ReStock and NOT ReStock+, correct?

Hi @_Zee.

Using this mod with Kerbalism, I've noticed some Kerbalism parts weirdly placed.
Checking ZsKerbalismPatch.cfg, I can see it uses old containers parts.
I've made a "fix", in case you're interested.

Spoiler

@PART[kerbalism-container-inline-tac-0625]:AFTER[Kerbalism]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
    @TechRequired = simpleCommandModules
}

@PART[kerbalism-container-inline-tac-125]:AFTER[Kerbalism]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
    @TechRequired = storageTech
}

@PART[kerbalism-container-inline-tac-250]:AFTER[Kerbalism]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
    @TechRequired = logistics
}

@PART[kerbalism-container-inline-tac-375]:AFTER[Kerbalism]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
    @TechRequired = longTermHabitation
}

@PART[kerbalism-container-radial-pressurized-prosemian-small]:AFTER[Kerbalism]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

@PART[kerbalism-container-radial-pressurized-prosemian-medium]:AFTER[Kerbalism]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

@PART[kerbalism-container-radial-pressurized-prosemian-big]:AFTER[Kerbalism]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

@PART[kerbalism-container-radial-pressurized-prosemian-huge]:AFTER[Kerbalism]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
    @TechRequired = longTermHabitation
}

@PART[kerbalism-container-radial-box-prosemian-small]:AFTER[Kerbalism]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

@PART[kerbalism-container-radial-box-prosemian-normal]:AFTER[Kerbalism]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

@PART[kerbalism-container-radial-box-prosemian-large]:AFTER[Kerbalism]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}

14 hours ago, _Zee said:

Looks like the log file you posted is missing.

I'm looking at the starting node of your 2nd screenshot and I notice that all of the usual starting node placements from PBC are missing, not just the probe core. It looks like something is preventing the application of PBC's mod files. Please post a screenshot of your GameData folder's contents so we can see all the folders in place. I'm grasping at straws, but maybe a fresh re-install will help. The current release of ReStock doesn't make changes to the techtree, period - so I can't explain what you're getting here, sorry mate.

One other thought, we are both talking about ReStock and NOT ReStock+, correct?

thanks for helping me with this, i really want to get it to work as restock totally changes the game for me (aesthetically). 

OK so we are talking about both Restock and Restock+. I tried loading with one and both and got same results (I also originally had the thought restock+ was messing things up). 
I don't know why the log was deleted so soon, stupid website. I'll try again: https://file.io/sx1AOYYdxIz1

1-gamedata.jpg

Edited by dresoccer4

UPDATE: i did what you suggested and did a completely FRESH install. Uninstalled and deleted all old files, and redownloaded from scratch. Unfortunately the results are exact same :(.
Does your GameData folder match mine and are you using latest versions of everything? This is strange if yours is working and mine is not if we have exact same loadout...

1-fresh2.jpg

1-fresh.jpg

Edited by dresoccer4

11 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

UPDATE: i did what you suggested and did a completely FRESH install. Uninstalled and deleted all old files, and redownloaded from scratch. Unfortunately the results are exact same :(.
Does your GameData folder match mine and are you using latest versions of everything? This is strange if yours is working and mine is not if we have exact same loadout...

1-fresh2.jpg

1-fresh.jpg

How strange.... I too am using PBC with ReStock and ReStock+ (plus a bunch of other mods) and did not experience this issue.... I know that isn't really helpful for you since it is clearly not working for you... but it SHOULD work. Looks like your log file there is deleted again, maybe try using dropbox? In addition your MM config cache file may also be of use in understanding what is happening.

11 hours ago, Akira_R said:

How strange.... I too am using PBC with ReStock and ReStock+ (plus a bunch of other mods) and did not experience this issue.... I know that isn't really helpful for you since it is clearly not working for you... but it SHOULD work. Looks like your log file there is deleted again, maybe try using dropbox? In addition your MM config cache file may also be of use in understanding what is happening.

ugh annoying its deleting my file. ill upload to my Gdrive so it'll be permanent.

Log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U5Q0r2zCQ7RQLGO8D1JqiqacM8BfiGCg/view?usp=sharing
MM Config Cache: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DmwVTPSvdZ9fxMtL4zlo75McQKSgvaH1/view?usp=sharing

On 9/1/2021 at 5:21 AM, kitamoboz said:

Using this mod with Kerbalism, I've noticed some Kerbalism parts weirdly placed.
Checking ZsKerbalismPatch.cfg, I can see it uses old containers parts.
/snip

Thanks for reporting this! I don't use Kerbalism myself so reports like this are needed. I'll look over the Kerbalism patch again and will get it fixed in the next release (sometime this weekend). Thanks for posting your patch.

On 9/1/2021 at 10:55 PM, Akira_R said:

Thank you for confirming which end the issue is on.
@dresoccer4, I'll second Akira_R's suggestion that when you get the log file posted up properly, make sure to include the MM config cache as well. 

@dresoccer4 I took a look through your logs and from what I can tell, PBC is applying patches to your install correctly. your output.log file shows PBC is detected, the MM patches are received and applied. 

If you look in your .configcache you can see the part and all of its properties exactly as they are loaded in to the game after patching is applied. Yours shows that the TechRequired is being updated to "start" correctly.
RbPUCd4.png

The only other explanation I can think of, is that your logs are not coming from where you are actually launching the game. Do you have multiple installs of KSP on your system? Perhaps an old shortcut is pointing to a different directory than you think?

Sorry, I'm out of ideas.