[KSP 1.8 - 1.12+] - Probes Before Crew [PBC] Version 2.93

_Zee

100-150% everything "bad"

50-100% everything "good"

Depending mostly on how important "grind" is to the current playthrough idea.

I once drug all bad sliders to the top and good ones to the bottom. Wow was that a boring playthrough. I'm not 100% sure I made it to Mun or Minmus before giving up.

2 minutes ago, Muetdhiver said:

Here is a small feedback for you :

two things that I really find myself missing early on is the 1.25 to 0.625 structural adapter and a 0.625 nosecone.

I would suggest putting those two parts in T1 or T2.

Agreed! I also think that the Spark engine and the Terrier engine should be swapped - when you're trying to launch a HECS into orbit, a Terrier is 5x overkill. EDIT: Though, come to think of it, the Spark has considerably better TWR, so perhaps that's OP?

Edited by lordcirth

The Spark is very, very powerfull. In a lot of cases it is superior to the terrier as far DV is concerned.

Simply put it's low mass / high TWR more than compensate the rather average vacuum ISP till you get above FLT800+capsule.

(Found that you while preping my caveman Eve flyby + gilly landing)

Also, I use missing history which has the puddle which is a nice inbetween at a tier lower.

19 minutes ago, Muetdhiver said:

/snip
two things that I really find myself missing early on is the 1.25 to 0.625 structural adapter and a 0.625 nosecone.

17 minutes ago, lordcirth said:

/snip
I also think that the Spark engine and the Terrier engine should be swapped

7 minutes ago, Muetdhiver said:

The Spark is very, very powerfull. In a lot of cases it is superior to the terrier as far DV is concerned.
/snip

Great feedback, all around! I took a closer look and I agree movement is needed.

The next release will move the FL-A5 Adapter (0.6m > 1.2m) from Miniaturatization at T5, to Engineering 101 at T2. The 0.6m > 1.2m Service module appears at T3, and the FL-A5 is a nearly flat and terrible adapter, so its a perfect fit.
The 0.6m small nose cone will move from Aerodynamics at T5, to Stability at T3.
And regarding the 909 and the Spark, my response is basically what Muetdhiver said. The Spark is a much more efficient engine, and additionally making such a swap would involve moving 0.6m fuel tanks which I don't plan on doing.

As long as the contract pack does not attempt to add its contracts directly to the Vanilla "Exploration Agent", it will simply co-exist with mine.

But regarding planets that aren't stock, my mod in general does not yet support extra or unique planets or system overhauls. Stock Kerbol System only. It will have to remain this way until Kopernicus is updated for 1.6.

Edited by _Zee

Having some trouble with the "orbit kerbin" contract. Used a stock probe, the stable orbit worked fine and got a green check, but the landing failed to get recognized. I landed on kerbin, intact/safely, etc. I am using remote tech and the chutes deployed when safe but I had long dropped connection for an automated re-entry. Maybe that was a factor? I need probe control all the way to ground?

Maybe I missed something else basic or is there a known issue/mod incompat?

34 minutes ago, viveleroi said:

Having some trouble with the "orbit kerbin" contract. Used a stock probe, the stable orbit worked fine and got a green check, but the landing failed to get recognized. I landed on kerbin, intact/safely, etc. I am using remote tech and the chutes deployed when safe but I had long dropped connection for an automated re-entry. Maybe that was a factor? I need probe control all the way to ground?

Maybe I missed something else basic or is there a known issue/mod incompat?

This one is working fine for me. Are you sure you returned with the same probe you first entered orbit with?

All the contracts are triggered by the completion of previous contracts, so if worse comes to worst you can just use Alt-F12 to manually complete the contract and the chain will keep moving.

1 minute ago, _Zee said:

Are you sure you returned with the same probe you first entered orbit with?

My probe core is the same, yes. I launched the prob, staged/detached the first stage rocket, got into orbit, de-orbited, detached the second stage, and my probe core re-entered with the heat shield, chutes deployed, and landed on kerbin safely. Yet the "landed" portion of the contract remained unchecked.

Ya I just triple checked the code for that contract, it should be working. Very strange. I'm grasping at straws here, but is the Vessel Name the same and is it still designated as a Probe (vs. a Relay or something)?

Send me a screenshot of your GameData folder

I did that contract with two boosters and a lot of the small fuel tanks, splashed into the water with the last stage not decoupled, no heat shield.  Worked for me, sure we ware talking about the same contract? There are a few that sounding like they are the same, just little differences

Kopernicus isn't supported by my mod yet.

I was about to say it hasn't been updated for 1.6 yet but I see an update was posted 8 hours ago. I was waiting for it to be updated so now that it is, I'll see if I can squeeze in the update for the next release, no promises. In the meantime, just use Alt-F12 and manually complete the contracts.

Version 2.03 released

//// Version 2.03 Changes

Created new "Tiny Basic Fin" part intended for 0.6m profiles. Available at Start.
Shifted 0.6m Nose Cone two nodes earlier.
Shifted FL-A5 (Nearly flat 0.6 > 1.2) Adapter three nodes earlier.
Added basic Kopernicus support.
	-- Contracts are still only built for stock planets, but they will work as intended in your Kopernicus install now.
Corrected bug that prevented Eeloo contract from working correctly.

This is a small update mostly to help out the Kopernicus users. As mentioned in the changelog, this update isn't adding any extra contracts it's just making sure my stock planet contracts work within a Kopernicus environment. You will still have gaps on any modded planet additions, so using my contract pack or not is your call. These gaps will eventually be filled but full disclosure this item is waiting behind bigger projects and it might be a while.

During my most recent playtesting I became aware of a limitation in how the Contracts are currently implemented. All the steps for "Completing" a Celestial Body are included in a single contract to try and make things flexible and dynamic. The problem with the current implementation is that when you first land on a given body, that vessel is then the required vessel you need to return home. This is a problem because we often times want to land well before we are ready to try a return mission and we design those first landers with zero intention of bringing them back.

I'm currently talking with Nightingale to see if he can help me get a better grasp on the Contract Configurator and to hopefully find a quick and easy fix (preferably in the form of some Method i'm just unaware of). If this isn't possible though, I still have a "zero-doubt" solution so it will be fixed either way. The second option is just kind of a brute force approach, it will take a long time to write, and it will break contracts for a single body into 2 contracts instead of a single 1, and the 2nd contract will have to always be taken manually. Obviously a lot less elegant, so I'll avoid it if I have a choice.

In the meantime, handy dandy Alt-F12 works perfectly fine. If you return a vessel to your home planet and you know its the vessel that should be getting credit for the return, just manually complete the contract if it doesn't automatically. All contracts are triggered by preceding contracts, so there's no way to break anything using this method. Sorry for the inconvience on this, I'd never even used the Contract Configurator until 4 days ago so bare with me while I'm still learning. :blush:

Edited by _Zee

Version 2.1 released

//// Version 2.1 Changes

*Improved Contract Vessel Tracking.
Removed option to cancel contracts. No longer needed.
Small increases to select contract payouts.
Reworked parameter rewards to increase difference between each step.
	-ie "Fly By" pays less and "Return" pays more
Corrected lack of SPLASHED condition check for Eve and Laythe.
Gave Dres Contracts. Whoops
Corrected parameter message for Crewed Ike contract.

This is the "Contracts Are Finally Working Exactly As Intended" update. I'm super stoked about this one, Vessel tracking works exactly as I wanted now. Meaning, any vessel you land on a given body is a valid option to complete the Return Home parameter. This means you can run multiple missions with different purposes all at the same time at whatever pace you want, and you'll never need to touch Alt-F12 to move contracts again. Reward payouts were also given one more final looking over from top to bottom, and it feels much better than before. The "Return Home" parameter is a big step no matter what body you happen to be exploring, and the payouts will reflect this more clearly now. There were some additional small bug fixes as well.

With the Contract Pack feeling rock solid now, focus will return to supporting more mods. Near Future patches will come first, followed by Kerbalism. I haven't received much feedback in a few days, so I'll just hope that means everything is good and nothing is on fire. :D

As always, to properly update remember to Alt-F12 > Contracts > Tools > REGENERATE CURRENT CONTRACTS

Enjoy!

Edit: Almost forgot! Shout out to @nightingale for getting back to me so quickly while I was trying to figure this out. A very helpful guy/gal! :)

Edited by _Zee

To help with mod adaption.

LGG has released an updated Probe Control Room.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/166760-151-probe-control-room-recontrolled/

This mod gives probe cores a right click IVA option that takes the player to a mission control style control room. This lets the player run the mission "remotely" rather than the all-seeing stock chase cams.
   Using the Raster Monitor Prop mod:

PCR only adds 1 crucial part, the JSI External Radial Mounted Camera.  It appears in the Basic Science T4 part of the tree.  With PBC it would seem that players using PCR would want to have the camera available from the start.  This seems to be the only issue between PCR and PBC.

Real Chutes

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/52931-15x-realchute-parachute-systems-v1471-161018/

has it's first chute in the Start T1 node and needs to be moved to the node with the Mk1 chute.

Edited by jpkerman

2 minutes ago, jpkerman said:

To help with mod adaption.
/snip

Awesome! Thank you, all of that's really helpful and time-saving. I'll be sure to include these in the next update, one part a piece will be quick and easy.

Hi @_Zee, would you consider adding KSP-AVC support to your mod? Just helps to let people know when an update is available without CKAN. Also, will the Near Future patch include support for @Nertea's mkIV Spaceplane mod? Would probably just go straight to the end of the spaceplane nodes.

Edited by Benji13