[KSP 1.8 - 1.12+] - Probes Before Crew [PBC] Version 2.93

_Zee

• 2 weeks later...

Terribly sorry for the delay everyone. That's 2 KSP updates now and no release date in sight. 

Because of the following reasons:
1) I don't want to see this mod die and people lose yet another Probes before Crew techtree option
2) people have offered to help in the past
3) I specifically released all versions of this mod via the MIT license for easy takeover

, I am officially requesting help from this wonderful modding community to get this mod updated and patched to working standard with the current 1.10 release of KSP. 
For now, I'm only asking for help with getting the mod updated to the current release of KSP, no new mod support patches. 
This includes
a) updating any of the pre-existing mod support patches to match changes made by those mod authors as needed,
b) updating pre-existing vanilla part patches as needed,
c) introducing new vanilla part patches for parts introduced in 1.9 and 1.10
d) updating AVC files
e) (?)update science(?) not too sure, haven't been able to play with the new science modules at all yet. 

"As Needed" means the bare minimum change needed to solve any compatibility/thematic issues with KSP 1.10 or supported mods.

Another thing people have been asking for quite some time is GitHub. Looks like it's finally time to make it happen. Bare with me while I learn the interface if you try to interact with me on it.
https://github.com/Axiom-Zee/ProbesBeforeCrew

Depending on how this goes and if there is interest, I might start accepting submissions for mod support patches in the future. Maybe I can still grow the mod and maintain its cohesiveness by acting as a curator and not just the sole constructor. That would be cool.

Edited by _Zee

@_Zee Scansat was updated so your ScanSat patch is no longer required, I believe the ScanSat new parts (15 in total) are nicely placed already.

Spoiler
scansat-multi-modis-1 basicScience 4
scansat-radar-poseidon-3b-1 basicScience 4

scansat-radar-seasat-1 electrics 5
scansat-multi-abi-1 spaceExploration 5

scansat-recon-ikonos-1 precisionEngineering 6
scansat-sar-paz-1 advElectrics 6
scansat-resources-crism-1 advExploration 6

scansat-recon-worldview-3-1 unmannedTech 7
scansat-exomars-1 fieldScience 7
scansat-resources-mise-1 scienceTech 7
scansat-sar-radarsat-2-1 largeElectrics 7

scansat-multi-msi-1 advUnmanned 8

scansat-recon-kh11-1 largeUnmanned 9
scansat-resources-hyperion-1 experimentalScience 9
scansat-sar-tandem-l-1 experimentalElectrics 9

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/8/2020 at 7:08 PM, _Zee said:

Terribly sorry for the delay everyone. That's 2 KSP updates now and no release date in sight. 

Thanks for the update.  I've been waiting to continue my campaign in 1.10 as I've really been enjoying your tech tree and mission progress.  Hopefully it can get updated for at least vanilla 1.10 soon, thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2020 at 4:08 AM, _Zee said:

Because of the following reasons:
1) I don't want to see this mod die and people lose yet another Probes before Crew techtree option
2) people have offered to help in the past
3) I specifically released all versions of this mod via the MIT license for easy takeover

, I am officially requesting help from this wonderful modding community to get this mod updated and patched to working standard with the current 1.10 release of KSP. 
For now, I'm only asking for help with getting the mod updated to the current release of KSP, no new mod support patches. 
This includes
a) updating any of the pre-existing mod support patches to match changes made by those mod authors as needed,
b) updating pre-existing vanilla part patches as needed,
c) introducing new vanilla part patches for parts introduced in 1.9 and 1.10
d) updating AVC files
e) (?)update science(?) not too sure, haven't been able to play with the new science modules at all yet. 

"As Needed" means the bare minimum change needed to solve any compatibility/thematic issues with KSP 1.10 or supported mods.

Another thing people have been asking for quite some time is GitHub. Looks like it's finally time to make it happen. Bare with me while I learn the interface if you try to interact with me on it.
https://github.com/Axiom-Zee/ProbesBeforeCrew

Depending on how this goes and if there is interest, I might start accepting submissions for mod support patches in the future. Maybe I can still grow the mod and maintain its cohesiveness by acting as a curator and not just the sole constructor. That would be cool.

How can I help?

• 3 weeks later...

@_Zee Thanks for looking into updating this mod. I really like the concept of having probes before crew for launch vehicles. I use the "History of Spaceflight Pocket Edition" mod and it's starts out with the early unmanned space launches, so this mod really helps with using this mod. I've edited the Stayputnik probe to appear at start, along with a transition adapter for .625 to 1.25 diameters parts.

Also, thank you to any who help get this caught up and updated to KSP v1.10.1 and the various mods.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, dresoccer4 said:

hey all. trying to catch up on this mod and reading through the forum after not playing KSP for a year....

does this work in latest edition? thanks!

Currently using it for 1.10.1 and it seems to work but having read the last few pages I expect some things could be borked. I currently have remotetech and NF installed and stuff -seems- ok. However thinking back I had at least one instance of an unlocked part not appearing available in VAB. So it probably needs an update... the part progression seems really nice though. I love starting unmanned with remotetech!

7 minutes ago, Kerbocracy said:

Currently using it for 1.10.1 and it seems to work but having read the last few pages I expect some things could be borked. I currently have remotetech and NF installed and stuff -seems- ok. However thinking back I had at least one instance of an unlocked part not appearing available in VAB. So it probably needs an update... the part progression seems really nice though. I love starting unmanned with remotetech!

thanks. i just discovered this addon:
UnKerballed Start v1.2.0

and it seems to be doing the trick as well

• 3 months later...

Hi. I'm old player since v. 0.23, maybe 0.24 (i don't remember). Now i'm playing with 1.11.1 and start using PBC. I was accept contract to explore Mun. When i was make flyby Mun with probe (once i make even orbit around Mun), i did not received any cash or science. This is the problem with version KSP or i do anything wrong?

Sorry, but i don't speak english.

• 2 months later...

For some reason when this mod is installed, it causes my framerate to drop until I purchase the part "CRSY Light Scanning Arm" (from breaking ground expansion), which when is purchased the framerate is fixed again. This doesn't happen when i remove the mod. I noticed an older mod "SETI-Contracts" had the same issue. I suspect it must be the contracts affecting this part?

Edit: Further testing leads me to believe the issue lies in the config files in the ProbesBeforeCrew/Contract Pack folder. Removing these solves the issue. Not sure how it affects framerate so much. Hope someone can help me figure it out.

Edited by John007qwe

• 1 month later...

So I'm doing a no-revert no-quicksave hard mode career using Probes Before Crew, and I just wanted to say that it's been delightful. I've got my science slider and my funds slider both set to 60% and, while both science and funds have been tight, I haven't found it to be oppressive at all.

The above is a video explaining all the mods I'm using, and the below is a link to my first successful Mun mission in this career.

• 2 weeks later...

Does contract part of this mod work for you guys? (mod it self seems working fine) But contract doesn't complete (for example - launch first craft > I  tried all the parts I have but it doesn't even register that I had launched)

Any idea how to fix or debug this?  Version is 1.10.1

Edited by assasin172

Is your vessel set to type "Probe" in the Tracking Center, rather than type "Rover" or "Relay"?

Having the wrong type set has been the source of 100% of my problems with the PBC missions.

That said, if new development ever happens on this, I would love to see the "Probe" type requirement simply changed to using crew-capacity=0.

5 hours ago, 256 said:

Is your vessel set to type "Probe" in the Tracking Center, rather than type "Rover" or "Relay"?

Having the wrong type set has been the source of 100% of my problems with the PBC missions.

That said, if new development ever happens on this, I would love to see the "Probe" type requirement simply changed to using crew-capacity=0.

I had it set properly. Tho it didn't even register "flying" parameter

AZ7nisM.png

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@modus That's incorrect. This mod does indeed change the celestial body income values. 

@Crixomix The breakdown of the vanilla values vs. modded values can be found in the "More Details" spoiler tag on the front page post.

For anyone wondering about the mods usability with the most up to date version of KSP (1.12.2 as of writing this), there have been multiple reports now that PBC is working without any critical bugs.

In fact I haven't seen any reports of anything really out of place at all. Any new parts added by Supported Mods since my last release could possibly be misaligned with PBC's design, but I'm not aware of anything game-breaking there. I have not revisited the mod since my last post in 2020 and to be completely honest I probably won't with the release of KSP 2 coming up soon.  I'm also currently working another software project of mine that will be a much bigger undertaking than this mod was, so I think its safe to call this mod "Finished" (Who knows, maybe one of these days i'll get an itch to get everything updated one last time).

The invitation to any interested party in taking over maintenance of PBC to get it in sparkling condition for the current release of KSP still stands, and the MIT license grants you permission to do it without even needing to ask me. But by all accounts the mod is working great on 1.12 as is.

All are welcome to continue posting bug reports, request for help, personal patches and fixes that you wanna share. Thanks for all the support while this mod was at its peak everyone! :)

Edited by _Zee

On 5/20/2021 at 5:26 AM, 256 said:

So I'm doing a no-revert no-quicksave hard mode career using Probes Before Crew, and I just wanted to say that it's been delightful. I've got my science slider and my funds slider both set to 60% and, while both science and funds have been tight, I haven't found it to be oppressive at all.

The above is a video explaining all the mods I'm using, and the below is a link to my first successful Mun mission in this career.

I love the videos by the way!! Thanks for including my mod. :D

I've watched quite a few of them from your series now and I can see that everything in PBC is still working great, including the contract packs which is awesome.

Edited by _Zee