Transfer of Science

I have read many posts here looking for the answer but what the posts call science is data. I landed a Munar Lab Outpost and due to an unfortunate landing mishap my antennae has been destroyed; I am pretty sure these Kerbals did it on purpose being that they were the only ones to volunteer for this assignment and were highly regarded as "not like-able" by the other scientists.Through my infinite wisdom, I chose to not create a docking port. I now have my boys working hard in the lab on data turning it into science. The question is.... can i transfer the science when it is completed onto another radio friendly ship for transmission?

Idea is to create a lander with radio capability and kerbal capability and plop it down next to the antisocial lab. Ideas on possibilities? 

4 minutes ago, TheOldDad said:

I have read many posts here looking for the answer but what the posts call science is data.

Okay, just to avoid confusion, we should be really clear about what we're talking about, here.  There are three kinds of "science" thingies that can show up on spacecraft-- make sure not to get them confused with each other!

• Science results:  These are the things you get from science instruments (e.g. "Temperature reading from Kerbin's Highlands" or whatever).  When they're transmitted or physically carried back to Kerbin, they provide R&D credit that you can use to unlock tech tree nodes.
  • Science dataThis is stuff that lives only in the crewed science lab.  It's created instantly when a ship with a science lab "converts" a science result into data by clicking the yellow "flask" button when viewing a science result.  Science data is the lab's input, i.e. the raw stuff that the science lab converts into science points.
  • Science pointsThis is stuff that lives only in the crewed science lab.  It's the science lab's output, i.e. it's what the science lab turns science data into, over time.  It accumulates in the science lab.  When transmitted to Kerbin (or physically recovered there), it gives R&D credit just like science results.

Most folks who ask about "transferring science" in the forums are talking about transferring science results.  However, from your question, it sounds to me like you're talking about science points in the lab, correct?

In that case, the answer is no, there's no way to transfer it.

Science results are transferrable-- kerbals do it all the time, just go EVA and click on the thing containing the science results and choose the "take science" option.

However, science data and points (i.e. the stuff in a science lab) are not transferrable.  Once they're in a science lab, the only way to get them out of there is to either transmit (using an antenna) or to physically retrieve the lab back on Kerbin.

12 minutes ago, TheOldDad said:

can i transfer the science when it is completed onto another radio friendly ship for transmission?

So no, you can't do that.  Fortunately, though, you don't have to, because,

Just now, SnakyLeVrai said:

Sure. Just land a tiny probe next to it with an antenna and a Klaw, a bunch of wheels for maneuverability, then attach it to the lab with the klaw. It's ugly but it will do the job :P

^ this.  You can't transfer the science, but you don't have to.  Just dock an antenna-equipped ship to it and you can use that ship's antenna to do the transmitting.  Since you haven't included docking ports, you'll need to use a Klaw instead, since the Klaw is a tool that lets you dock to any arbitrary ship even if that ship doesn't have any docking ports on it.

Solved, but just to know more about ksp mechanics:

Would ann independent ship, with relay antennae being close enought, do the trick? The lab ship should have a probe core or pod, and those should have a built-in very short range antenna. Would this relay ship open the communication from the lab to kerbin without claw? (I dislike deeply the claw. It looks very unreal to me to succesfully dock two ships by perforating the hull of one of them...)

26 minutes ago, Rauko said:

Solved, but just to know more about ksp mechanics:

Would ann independent ship, with relay antennae being close enought, do the trick? The lab ship should have a probe core or pod, and those should have a built-in very short range antenna. Would this relay ship open the communication from the lab to kerbin without claw? (I dislike deeply the claw. It looks very unreal to me to succesfully dock two ships by perforating the hull of one of them...) 

Only attached antennas are capable of transmitting science. The ones built into command pods and probe cores can only receive control input and can't transmit anything.

I'm divebombing the thread because I have a somewhat related question.  Is there a mod available to transfer science data?  I have a space station with two science labs - one rather rubbish one and second super duper shiny plush lab with actual snack storage that was added later.  Unfortunately anytime I dock a probe and unload the science results, all the data goes into the rubbish lab.  I suspec the answer is no, and I'll have to ... "constructively disassemble" the science orbital.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.