Cargo Bay Part WIP

Kiyoto_Protocol

I'm posting to see how much interest there is in me releasing this part, and to possibly receive some assistance from a plugin developer.

It's a cargo bay that fits perfectly with C7's Mk3 Cockpit and Mk3 Fuselage.

I have received C7's permission to use his part's likeness.

tucq3h.jpg

dTB8th.jpg

Full album

The only difficulty I'm having is that I'm unsure how to assign its animation to a custom key, because I have little coding experience.

It's currently set up as landing gear, and works well, but it's annoying to have it open and close when trying to only extend/retract the landing gear.

I'm hoping someone could help me out with the coding. Just a simple part module plugin that would allow me to set a custom keybind for it, or just have it activate on a right-click menu.

I tested it as a ladder by setting that as the partmodule in the .cfg file, and it worked with just the right-click menu, eliminating the whole 'opening with the landing gear' problem. The only downside is that it rotated the part 180 degrees from the VAB/SPH orientation everytime I launched it for some reason. =/

Anyway, let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

I'm posting to see how much interest there is in me releasing this part, and to possibly receive some assistance from a plugin developer.

It's a cargo bay that fits perfectly with C7's Mk3 Cockpit and Mk3 Fuselage.

I have received C7's permission to use his part's likeness.

tucq3h.jpg

dTB8th.jpg

Full album

The only difficulty I'm having is that I'm unsure how to assign its animation to a custom key, because I have little coding experience.

It's currently set up as landing gear, and works well, but it's annoying to have it open and close when trying to only extend/retract the landing gear.

I'm hoping someone could help me out with the coding. Just a simple part module plugin that would allow me to set a custom keybind for it, or just have it activate on a right-click menu.

I tested it as a ladder by setting that as the partmodule in the .cfg file, and it worked with just the right-click menu, eliminating the whole 'opening with the landing gear' problem. The only downside is that it rotated the part 180 degrees from the VAB/SPH orientation everytime I launched it for some reason. =/

Anyway, let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

this would be lovely! make it If you want too

This is a much needed addition to the Kerbal universe. looking forward to this release. make sure the cargo decoupler makes the cargo give no drag if possible,it is tucked away after all. and zero decouple force, other wise it would launch itself into the bay, I would think.

It's actually not set up as a decoupler, but rather a landing leg so the animation plays correctly.

Although Kreuzung is coding a separate plugin to play the animation.

You can attach whichever decoupler you want to the inside though, or even use DamnedRobotics parts to have an extending arm like I did in the last couple screenshots.

You'll probably have it soon:sticktongue:

At the time development is going well, I'm fixing lots of bugs and other issues at the time. Actually, I thought I was almost done so I tested if another part I orignially made the part module for still works, and then the bug rain started...

Questions: How does the part collide with other objects? Can you close it without the parts flying away? What about working as a ladder? What happens when Kerbals try to climb on it? And wait a minute, you even added BUMP MAPPING on it?!

Here's a description:

"Made from the space center's old storage room doors, the cargo bay is an adequate and air-tight solution to storing debris and other parts reliably. Too bad our boss said to make it fit only on those Mk3 airplanes; his excuse was to make it Jebediah-proof."

Current description is:

"The engineers over at Kargo Kontraptions have hollowed out a recovered Mk3 Fuselage from one of our "failed" missions (due to rapid unscheduled disassembly) and bolted on some rusty hinges. They've been using it to deliver boxes, but we figure we can stuff some rockets in there and send it to space!"

Colliders are exactly like the visual model, if it's closed, stuff stays inside even if decoupled.

Also finished the part module for it, only needs bugtesting.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.