KSP 1.6.0 will not open on Linux Mint

Hi.

Returning to KSP after a long hiatus.

Just downloaded 1.6.0 unzipped it and it won't start.

I get a flashing window and nothing.

Tried launching with the launcher and without. 64 bit and not. No difference.

Tried reducing my screens resolution. No joy.

There is no error log. No cfg file either.

Any ideas?

ADDENDUM

Just downlaoded 1.3 which is the last one I played before taking a break.

Runs just fine.

Just downloaded 1.6 and same result: A flickering window, no messages and no joy.

**********************************************************************************************

EDIT                                                   SPOILER FOR ANY NEW READER

**********************************************************************************************

My problem is now solved.

Don't know why it would run 1.3 and not anything newer. But after trying a newer version of Linux the game worked flawlessly.

I now have a clean install of Linux Mint 19.1 and all is well. Thanks

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

Where did you get it from?  GoG version is working fine for me in Mint 18.3 / Mate.

5 hours ago, Martian Emigrant said:

Tried launching with the launcher and without. 64 bit and not. No difference.

Since they killed 32 bit support with 1.5, not sure how you did the "and not" part,

hi.

Thanks for the reply.

I downloaded from the store.

My computer is 64 bits, OS is Linus Mint 17.1 Cinnamon. All the updates are in. Everything works as it should. No issues.

Processor Intel Core i5 CPU [email protected] x4

Memory 3.9 GIB

Hard Drive 597.3 GB of which 260 is available.

Graphic cards

RV730 XT , Radeon HD 4670

In doubt I clicked all for start points.  x86  x86_64  Launcher.x86  Launcher.86_64

All do the same. a quick flashing window that shuts down.

I have reloaded (From the store) 1.3 and it works no troubles. 1.5 does not.

I have not tried 1.4 yet.....Was there a hardware requirement change? In say the video card required?

ME

This might be a really dumb question, but is there any chance you have a 32 bit OS installed?

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

Since they killed 32 bit support with 1.5, not sure how you did the "and not" part,

Funny how they "killed" the 32 version of the game starting in 1.5, yet I have 32 bit executables for both 1.5.1 and 1.6, confirmed to be running in 32 bit.  I was just going off what they announced.

:mad:

Edited by Geonovast

Hello again.

Ok. If I get you right up to 1.5 there was support for 32 bits.

So you suggest that thought my processor is 64 bits I might have a 32 bits OS on top of it?

Just googled and "A 64-bit processor can run both 32 and 64-bit operating systems, however, a 32-bit processor can only run a 32-bit operating systems"

So I don't think that is the case for my problem.

swcyvkP.jpg

I just checked and the i5 CPU is 64 bits. And as you see Linus (Using System Info) declares itself as the 64 bits version.

Edit:

If I knew for sure that is the problem then I can and would reinstall my OS but I really would hate to do that as it is set the way I like it.

ME

12 hours ago, Martian Emigrant said:
If I knew for sure that is the problem then I can and would reinstall my OS but I really would hate to do that as it is set the way I like it.

Well, your OS will stop receiving updates in April. So at some point in the near future you'd have to reinstall or upgrade anyways.

If there's no error log, is there at least the KSP.log or the Player.log?

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html

3 hours ago, Harry Rhodan said:

Well, your OS will stop receiving updates in April. So at some point in the near future you'd have to reinstall or upgrade anyways.

If log logs you might start it from a CLI and see if you get any errors.

7 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

I wonder if there might be a memory issue.

Can you do a "vmstat -s" and check that there's enough memory free (or swap) to start the process?

Thanks I will.

That is about 2 inches higher than my skill level but I will research and do it.

5 hours ago, Harry Rhodan said:

I didn't know that. But I thought I might update anyway (To cover a possible OS corruption or something funny about my video card drivers and all that) and I am downloading  19.1 as I write this.

Are those .logs in the main folder? Because they aren't there. Note I will get to that link you included.

Just too many cats to herd right now.

2 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

If log logs you might start it from a CLI and see if you get any errors.

Again 2 inches above my head.

Start with the terminal and see? WILCO. I will try that.

As I am getting a bit frustrated with this I have backed-up  all the files I care for and am downloading the latest version of Linux Mint as I write this (25 mins to go and definitively 64 bits).

I will install it on a new partition or on another drive (I have several working drives from defunct PCs). Do no creature comfort adjustments and see if it runs. If it runs then problem solved. If it doesn't.......I don't know. Play solitaire forever I guess.

PS

I will try those solutions that were just offered to me.

ME

Hello all.

I am an I-diot. An I apologize.

Just installed a new fresh version of Linux Mint in a partition and 1.6 runs.

Something is messed up in my OS and I shouldn't have bothered the forum.

So I will reinstall my PC from scratch. Somehow 19.1 seemed faster too;).

Should I delete this or leave it as a warning to others?

3 hours ago, Martian Emigrant said:

Something is messed up in my OS and I shouldn't have bothered the forum.

It's probably not messed up, but you have to remember that Mint is a conservative distro and trying to play games on five year old software and drivers might be a bit of a stretch.

3 hours ago, space-is-hard said:

Having similar issue to OP, my own thread is here with actual logs

Hello @space-is-hard

My problem is now solved. Or soon will be.

I could run version 1.3 but not any newer ones.

After loading a newer version of Linux Mint in a partition 1.6 was able to run.

I am in the process of reloading my PC with Linux Mint 19.1

When I am done I will re-install KSP 1.6. I expect no trouble this time (Finger crossed).

ME

5 hours ago, Martian Emigrant said:

Hello @space-is-hard

My problem is now solved. Or soon will be.

I could run version 1.3 but not any newer ones.

After loading a newer version of Linux Mint in a partition 1.6 was able to run.

I am in the process of reloading my PC with Linux Mint 19.1

When I am done I will re-install KSP 1.6. I expect no trouble this time (Finger crossed).

ME

I'm wondering what changed between Mint 17.1 and 19.1 that allowed it to run.

17.1 is based on Ubuntu 14.04, while 19.1 is based on Ubuntu 18.04. I'm running Kubuntu 18.04, so there shouldn't be much of a difference between your working install and my not-working install, besides the DE and some of the little stuff that Mint tweaks from regular Ubuntu.

9 hours ago, space-is-hard said:

I'm wondering what changed between Mint 17.1 and 19.1 that allowed it to run.

17.1 is based on Ubuntu 14.04, while 19.1 is based on Ubuntu 18.04. I'm running Kubuntu 18.04, so there shouldn't be much of a difference between your working install and my not-working install, besides the DE and some of the little stuff that Mint tweaks from regular Ubuntu.

That is above my knowledge level.

Could be a difference in drivers, an install that corrupted a file, a functionality that wasn't used before but was always defective. Don't know.

When I used to play I never had shadows (Other players did) I do now. So something is different.

17.1 had a hard time with my dual screens. 19.1 didn't care. Fully native to it.

That said my fresh install ended with a corrupted boot. I have to start over and it wont let me format the main drive.

Hargggg

Computers are our friends. Must surrender to the machines.

ME

11 hours ago, space-is-hard said:

I'm running Kubuntu 18.04, so there shouldn't be much of a difference between your working install and my not-working install, besides the DE and some of the little stuff that Mint tweaks from regular Ubuntu.

I can add that I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS without any issues (except the LC_ALL=C tweak).

Using an ancient Nvidia GTX 570, but I just checked my even older hw and it runs (slow) with an AMD 4670 HD too.

Edited by Curveball Anders

5 hours ago, <noname> said:

Mint install media should have gparted. You can boot from the install media, open gparted, and delete partitions. But, I would be more concerned with why your fresh install got corrupted. If you don't figure out why, it's bound to repeat. Unless it's just an old worn out drive or something.

3 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

I can add that I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS without any issues (except the LC_ALL=C tweak).

Using an ancient Nvidia GTX 570, but I just checked my even older hw and it runs (slow) with an AMD 4670 HD too.

Again I have no idea why my original install wouldn't work.

I did a clean install then did another on the same drive. (I wanted dual boot so KSP could have is own computer)

After the second install the first OS wouldn't boot properly. Gave error messages and hung.

The system is now up and running. Single boot this time. The system is pretty much as I like it. Pretty much.

KSP 1.6.0 is running fine. I am redoing the training missions to refresh my ageing brain.

Thanks for your help guys. I appreciated your pitching in.

ME

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.