Root and... Kraken??

Building my Ladle YiWCC (Angara) basically make me suspect that which part is the root will determine whether Kraken will strike. However, can someone explain to me the detail?

Take my Ladle YiWCC (at KerbalX): I set the root to the top fuel tank of first stage in order to make merging with the same craft possible. However, if it is not re-rooted to the second stage, then as soon as it detach, the 4 terriers start to occilate and/or thrust into the second stage fuel tank. (An earlier solution is to strut the terriers onto the fuel tank, but this become impossible with the bare/framed terrier - plus 4 extra parts.)

Edited by Jestersage

I tried your craft, using two boosters, and had no problems.  (I never do, it seems the Kraken is afraid of me.)

This sounds like a problem with autostruts.  I hate autostruts.  When you decouple they automaticaly lock rigidly to a different part that might be flexed, preventing it from flexing back to neutral.  This can over-stress other joints, or over-stress the physics simulation while two auto-strut constraints argue with each other and exert large forces.

HbJI7by.jpgThe new engine-plates force everything attached to them to auto-strut to their grandparent.  The identity of the grandparent depends on the root (image).  If you turn on the option alt-F12:Physics:visualize-autostruts, I bet you can find what is causing you trouble.

Edit: I have seen the orange lines disagree with the autostrut settings while in the VAB.  They make sense, though after re-loading the craft file or going to the launch pad.

Edited by OHara

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.