an astroid to hit Kerbal Space Centre

TanDeeJay

So, I was searching for an asteroid to catch and found this A class asteroid that will hit Kerbin just below the equator in about 90 days.

It got me thinking... a slight nudge from me and it would hit the equator.

Has anyone managed to get an asteroid to land on (or near the space center?)

XkoPhj1.png

(Multi color artifact at the top of the image, is (I believe) a fault with the high performance graphics card on my laptop, not a KSP bug)

Edited by TanDeeJay

:o:o That was INSANE!

I LOVED the look on Jebs face!  When he was surrounded by rentry flames, he seemed to be enjoying himself... A bit later when the flying asteroid was under control and gliding quite well, he seemed to be terrified for a bit :D

Oh dear, now I'm going to have to try this :D  Was that your video?  What version of KSP was that done in?

Now I want to download that clouds mod, and the city lights :D

20 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

That it was :)

That was absolutely awesome!  Which version of KSP was that in? ( that is, would a similar set-up work in 1.6?)  I've seen that much flex tear some of my stuff apart.  especially when multiple modules connected to a single asteroid. But your suggestion on the video of turning off the reaction wheels once you connect to an asteroid sounds like it would be worthwhile trying... recently, I have watched in horror as my convert-o-tron module parted company with the claw that was attached to the asteroid 

5 hours ago, TanDeeJay said:

That was absolutely awesome!  Which version of KSP was that in? ( that is, would a similar set-up work in 1.6?)  I've seen that much flex tear some of my stuff apart.  especially when multiple modules connected to a single asteroid. But your suggestion on the video of turning off the reaction wheels once you connect to an asteroid sounds like it would be worthwhile trying... recently, I have watched in horror as my convert-o-tron module parted company with the claw that was attached to the asteroid 

It was in like 23.5 or something. I've tried to recreate it in more recent versions with... Limited success.

1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

It was in like 23.5 or something. I've tried to recreate it in more recent versions with... Limited success.

It’s probably been difficult (I won’t say impossible), but certainly very difficult since the improved aerodynamics of v1.0. In fact it seems that quite a few interesting atmospheric contraptions no longer work as easily, or at all, such as ion planes.

LKO opposite orbit collision seems impossible due to physics calculations being too slow for the extreme velocity difference... I wonder if I put a couple of class E asteroids in opposite equatorial orbits closer to Minimus ( even outside Minimus' orbit if possible), to bring the velocity difference close enough to make a collision detectable by the physics engine...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.