Mythical Donuts

Kopernicus PQS Canyons?

Recommended Posts

Hello, I am working on a planet mod that is entirely procedural and I was wondering if there was a way to generate canyons using the PQS system. I know of VertexCanyon, but that is outdated and doesn't work anymore. So if anyone knows anything, please tell me. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:13 PM, Mythical Donuts said:

Hello, I am working on a planet mod that is entirely procedural and I was wondering if there was a way to generate canyons using the PQS system. I know of VertexCanyon, but that is outdated and doesn't work anymore. So if anyone knows anything, please tell me. Thanks!

You're better off making them with a height map. You can theoretically make the with the stock PQS mods but that's a lot of work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Adstriduum said:

You're better off making them with a height map. You can theoretically make the with the stock PQS mods but that's a lot of work.

thanks! I know how to do them with height maps, that's easy, but I'd like to know how to make them with the pqs if possible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mythical Donuts said:

thanks! I know how to do them with height maps, that's easy, but I'd like to know how to make them with the pqs if possible

I don't know how to explain it really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 8:31 PM, Mythical Donuts said:

okay

do you know anyone who can?

no

sorry

it's not exactly something that many people can explain really. I just use vertexplanet and a few others.

Edited by Adstriduum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is possible theoretically through noisemods with inverted height, but they don't leave a great result tbh. I could write a custom PQSMod for the task, but it'd require some experimentation. Three solutions I can think of:

1. Modifying an existing noisemod (think of floatcurves or brightness/contrast filters)

2. Creating a new noisemod

3. Using a fractal-based system. This'd require creating a repetitive equation for complex numbers, then generating complex numbers based on, for example, latitude/longitude and analyzing how quickly the series converges.

The first solution isn't the best, since it requires on mods that weren't made for the task. The second solution is the best, but takes the greatest amount of skill, and the third solution, although giving the most control, creates a very repetitive pattern and isn't very performant.

I'll do some testing and let you know what I find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.