The Narrow Band Scanner?

I simply have no idea how to properly use this piece...

I used it a lot in sandbox because it looked cool, but the actual information it provides seems very difficult to use. Having to actively monitor it and guess which section of the ground it's referring to as it sweeps past in orbit is not an easy task. I initially thought that maybe it would update the Survey Scanners color map to be more precise, but it doesn't seem to affect it all that much. The only feature I actually found to be somewhat useful was it's unique Kerbnet ore highlight feature, but that can easily be done using just the Survey Scanner instead.

Initially I didn't think too much of it; being in sandbox mode starting out, I just saw it as another mediocre part. But then I started my science save to discover that it was an extremely high tier part stuck all the way in the back of the tech tree at 1,000 science points 0.o

How are you actually supposed to use this part, and why is it so expensive? I feel my mining operations could really benefit from it, but I have no idea how to use it to its full potential.

It's just another mediocre part that happens to cost a lot of science. Having to actively monitor it and guess which section of the ground it's referring to as it sweeps past in orbit is not an easy task. The actual information it provides is very difficult to use. It does not update any survey scanner maps. :D

What it does do is tell you exactly where on the ground to find the very highest ore concentrations. However, that's almost always a completely impractical thing to know. And even if you do want to know that, you can find out the same thing by driving around with a surface scanner.

I think the idea is you conduct a low resolution survey with the M700 Survey Scanner, then orbit right above the point where a planet's atmosphere ends, and do Narrow-Band scans to get a higher resolution ore map. Remember to use KerbNet!

Edited by JTeam_

Kerbnet is another thing that I haven't gotten the hang of.

58 minutes ago, JTeam_ said:

I think the idea is you conduct a low resolution survey with the M700 Survey Scanner, then orbit right above the point where a planet's atmosphere ends, and do Narrow-Band scans to get a higher resolution ore map. Remember to use KerbNet!

2 hours ago, JTeam_ said:

Oh, so it's Kerbnet map is different from the Survey Scanners results? I couldn't tell the difference...

10 minutes ago, Pacca said:

Oh, so it's Kerbnet map is different from the Survey Scanners results? I couldn't tell the difference...

No, you see, when you do a Survey Scan, it enables Kerbnet, and using the Narrow Band Scanner gives you a higher resolution image on the Kerbnet map for the area below it. Something like that, anyway. It's only use is planning out landing sites and finding ore, and those can both potentially just be done by unmanned rovers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.