"dontstayputnik" has more sense than the "stayputnik", hasn't it?

flart

I like what the SXT's dontstayputnik name has more sense than the stayputnik.

"Sputnik" is, you know, a satellite, and not only the space-y one, but also the loved one — "sputnik of a life" is a popular Russian idiom about a life partner.
And the most casual and usual meaning of "Sputnik" is "fellow traveller".

Even more, "s-" is a prefix, meaning something like "with-". Sputnik = With-putnik = fellow traveller.
Yes, "putnik" is a traveller, or maybe more accurately a wanderer, a pilgrim — an archaic kind of a traveller from a fairytale and with a hobo stick. 

Finally: 

dontstayputnik = "don't stay, Putnik" = don't stay there, traveller, go and live a full life, take adventures somewhere in the space

stayputnik = "stay, Putnik" — what? stay where? why? I am a PUTNIK, I don't want to stay.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

You may have officially put the most thought into that name ever.

I just think of it as a portmanteau of "Stay put" and "Sputnik" Adding "Don't" would detract from that. Not that it's overly clever or anything :D

This man has solved the mystery.

40 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Vanguard TV3

Indeed. Wikipedia:

Newspapers in the United States published prominent headlines and articles noting the failure including plays on the name of the Russian satellite, Sputnik, such as "Flopnik", "Kaputnik", "Oopsnik", and "Stayputnik"

Thank you, Flart, for that insight into the Russian language and culture.
Disregarding the American explanations for the moment, as the first artificial satellite Sputnik did 'stay put' in space unlike everything sub-orbital (and albeit only until its orbit degraded)

4 minutes ago, Gapone said:

There is a Dontstayputnik in the SXT mod

Wow - that's a coincidence because, amazingly, the OP starts with the words " I like what the SXT's dontstayputnik name ..." *grin*

2 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Given it's uselessness in game, I think the name fits lol.

Agreed. With no SAS control the "Stayputnik" has a very difficult time staying put.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.