How to edit science data in save file?

I feel like this question could go on the Gameplay Questions page, but I figured that was more for things in game rather than save file editing.  I had a career started in 1.4.1 that I never got around to updating everything for, and now I am playing a game in 1.6, so I made a new install and installed the updated versions of all the mods.  I didn't want to lose my progress, so I moved over the craft files from the previous save, cheated them into the orbits they were in in the previous save, and cheated myself the science and funds needed to get back to the point I was at progression-wise.  This has worked out pretty well, but the one issue is that all of the science experiments I had previously done and recovered full science from are now available to perform in the new save, and I don't want to cheat through the rest of the tech tree by getting easy science points from areas I already visited.  So here is my question:  is it possible to edit the save file to make experiments count as completed?  I would use this to basically mark all of the experiments I did in the previous save as complete (I have [x] Science! installed to give me a comprehensive list).  If it is possible, where in the save file would I find it, and what values would I change?  I completely understand if this is not possible, or if it will break my game to do it.  I have minimal experience with save file editing, as I have only used it to change the name and status of a Kerbal before.  Thank you for your help!

3 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

If you got all the mods as in your 1.4.1 install....why don't you just use the same savegame? In general, savegames from a previous game version can be used in a new game version (but not the other way around). Would be alot easier :) 

I changed my life support mod from TAC to Kerbalism, which invalidates some parts of the save.  I also added OPM, and if I remember correctly that changes the save too.

8 minutes ago, HeliosPh0enix said:

I changed my life support mod from TAC to Kerbalism, which invalidates some parts of the save.  I also added OPM, and if I remember correctly that changes the save too.

I guess, adding OPM is fine if you don't have any vessel within the SOI of Eeloo but I'm not 100% sure though. The change from TAC to Kerbalism might be a bigger problem, that's right ;)

Well, the science progress is saved in these nodes:

SCENARIO
	{
		name = ResearchAndDevelopment
		scene = 7, 8, 5, 6
		sci = 3
		Tech
		{
			id = start
			state = Available
			cost = 0
			part = basicFin
			part = mk1pod
			part = mk1pod.v2
			part = solidBooster.sm.v2
			part = solidBooster.sm
			part = GooExperiment
			part = trussPiece1x
			part = parachuteSingle
			part = kv1Pod
		}
		Science
		{
			id = mysteryGoo@KerbinSrfLandedLaunchPad
			title = Mystery Goo™ Observation from LaunchPad
			dsc = 1
			scv = 0.230769247
			sbv = 0.300000012
			sci = 3
			cap = 3.9000001
		}
	}

Every experiment will be listed there, in this example it is the mystery goo and I've observeds it on Kerbins launchpad. You can probably search for these nodes in your old savegame and copy&paste them into your new savegame. I'm not familiar with TAC LS but if it added any science experiments, you should remove them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.