Why can't I add maneuver nodes?

I just got started with KSP about a week ago, so I'm still learning the basics. I am trying to rendezvous two vessels in orbit. I've practiced adding maneuver nodes in the training simulations, but for some reason I don't understand, I cannot add maneuver nodes in orbit in career mode. Without the nodes I can't plan any burns. My tracking station is fully upgraded and I've set the other vessel as a target. I keep left clicking on my orbit, but nothing comes up. Also, on the left side of the navball, I should have the normal and radial navigation modes along with the target button, but the only modes there are SAS and pro and retrograde. 

So why can I not add maneuver nodes and why do I not have all my navigation buttons?

I think mission control and the tracking station have to both be upgraded to get nodes. Navigation modes are dependent on pilot level or probe type. More advanced probes give you all features, early tech probe core have limited options.

Edited by Reactordrone

Yes, it's a "feature" of career mode that you start without the ability to create nodes. (You also can't see patched conics.) You have to upgrade the mission control and tracking station. It's supposed to make you feel like you become more sophisticated as you gain experience.

It's entirely possible to fly a mission to Mun without either nodes or conics, but it takes some experience to have a good feel for when to burn and whether you will get capture at the Mun.

Edited by mikegarrison

44 minutes ago, billyyank said:

Also, on the left side of the navball, I should have the normal and radial navigation modes along with the target button, but the only modes there are SAS and pro and retrograde. 

In career mode, the number of SAS options available to you depends on either:

• The level of you pilot, if he's sitting in a command pod (pilots in passenger cabins and the like don't count).
  • The type of probe core you're using (more advanced cores get more options).  But you need electricity and,  if you have CommNet enabled, you need a data connection back to Kerbin

If you have more than one of the above (multiple pilots, multiple cores, pilots + cores), you'll get the best available from your individual cores / pilots.

[Whoops, forgot: Welcome aboard!]

Edited by Aegolius13

Welcome to the forums!

One situation you might run into is that you lose the ability to set maneuver nodes if you are currently warping above x1 speed.

While it sounds like you are still pretty early in the game, so you probably haven't ran into this problem yet (although you can go pretty fast if you are able to pull off some of the optimized runs people post), you can also lose the ability to do maneuver nodes if you do not have a pilot aboard and you get outside the range of kerbal space center (ran into this problem near Minmus in my game - your range depends on the level of the tracking center).'

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.