How to play with mods without getting game progress broken with update?

I play only occasionaly - maybe one or two hours a week or less. My problem is that when I fly a long and difficult mission - like landing crew on Eve - it takes a long time (could be a few real months) and before I finish the mission there is usually an update (automatically downloaded by Steam), which can sometimes break my game progress. I use a few mods (Kerbal Engineer, Fuel tanks plus, TAC life support, transfer window planner) and often some of them break the save file. Yesterday all my parts with variants switched to default versions (this broke my rover with the new long mk2 capsule) and could not be switched back. Some time back all the fuel tanks from a mod changed to zero fuel on a saved ship in flight to Jool. 

I also wanted to try RSS but it seems their updates are way way behind the current version of KSP.

My question is how to do it better. Is there a way to prevent updates before the mods get updated as well? Do you fix save files by hand? Should I stop using mods?

How do you cope with the updates vs mods problem?

@ondrafialkaIts easy, just copy your game out of the steam folder into whatever directory you want, and play this. Only use the steam install to get the fresh versions. Update as YOU please.

Nothing wrong with playing "outdated" versions until your mods catch up. I believe most people here do it like this.

Find your steam KSP on your harddrive under steam/steamapps/commom/KerbalSpaceProgram   - just copy the whole content from this folder to anywhere you like, and run the game by clicking the KSP64.exe in that folder.

Hope this helps

Daf

53 minutes ago, Dafni said:

@ondrafialkaIts easy, just copy your game out of the steam folder into whatever directory you want, and play this. Only use the steam install to get the fresh versions. Update as YOU please.

Nothing wrong with playing "outdated" versions until your mods catch up. I believe most people here do it like this.

Find your steam KSP on your harddrive under steam/steamapps/commom/KerbalSpaceProgram   - just copy the whole content from this folder to anywhere you like, and run the game by clicking the KSP64.exe in that folder.

Hope this helps

Daf

Thanks, I will try this.

Ondrej

45 minutes ago, stibbons said:

Turn off Steam auto updates. Set the KSP version to the one that you want to play. Both of these options are available in the properties dialog by right-clicking the game in Steam.

I didn’t know about this feature, will try it. Thanks.

ondrej

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.