What's your favorite mods for building stuff?

I'd like to build some interesting crafts in sandbox mode and maybe you can recommend me some mods that add additional parts or making the building process itself somehow better (like i've seen in one of Scott Manley's videos he used something that allowed him to change part size but i didn't really found it).

Preferably plane, rocket, rover and, if something like that exist, parts for very tiny drone-like crafts (for example stock "ant" engine, tiny fuel tanks or i've seen somewhere small version of grabbing unit)ю

Edited by Actually_New_KSP_Player

Just now, Actually_New_KSP_Player said:

I'd like to build some interesting crafts in sandbox mode and maybe you can recommend me some mods that add additional parts or making the building process itself somehow better (like i've seen in one of Scott Manley's videos he used something that allowed him to change part size but i didn't really found it).

Look at Editor Extension Redux, for some editor quality of life improvements.

The mod Scott used to change the size of parts was most probably Tweakscale.

As for parts mods, well, there are many many nice ones out there. Depends what you want, for example american stuff or russian stuff, bases or stations etc.

cheers

Daf

27 minutes ago, Dafni said:

Look at Editor Extension Redux, for some editor quality of life improvements.

The mod Scott used to change the size of parts was most probably Tweakscale.

As for parts mods, well, there are many many nice ones out there. Depends what you want, for example american stuff or russian stuff, bases or stations etc.

cheers

Daf

Well I can specify it then, check the main post. About the american or russian stuff, i kinda like both, for example Souyz rocket looks very cool imo at the same time i really like Space Shuttle concept even if it wasn't that great IRL and KSP.

Tools-wise, RCS Build Aid Continued is indispensable if you are building things that you intend to dock, catch asteroids etc.

Editor Extensions Redux is great; I mostly use it for the symmetry striping tool.

Both those tools are @linuxgurugamer mods available via CKAN (RCSBA will currently complain about 1.6, but seems to work fine).

For parts packs I have Missing History (for Making History sized Reaction Wheels, batteries etc), Surface Mounted Lights and EVA handrails continued.

One of my favorite mod sets is @Nertea‘s near future tech set, although you may find some parts a little bit cheaty in sandbox mode. His stock station parts redux is also a great mod for building spacecraft and space stations. The planetary base systems mod also does a similar thing, but is tailored towards ground bases. And then, of course, the classic Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) and Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) are very helpful for modular constaruction, which seems to be what you asked for.

As above, all the Near Future mods are solid additions, and Editor Extensions is a must-have.

Also consider...

• Kerbal Foundries Continued for wheels that work like wheels and don't flip your rover
  • Space Y for really big rockets
  • RLA Reborn to add some engine/fuel/thruster options at pretty much all stock sizes
  • SXT, MK2 Expansion, and Airplane plus for plane+spaceplane related parts 
  • DeepSky/ThorTech for some overpowered spaceplane related parts

For career mode, I would strongly recommend using Community Tech Tree with these, as it'll give you more depth and make you work a bit harder to unlock the best stuff.

I tend to build only in stock because that's my thing...but there are a few non-part mods that I think make life better.  If you don't already have them:

Kerbal Engineer

WASD Camera Editor: This allows for a lot more flexibility in the SPH and VAB for maneuvering around your craft with the camera for part placement

and turn on Advanced Tweakables in the setup menu.  This allows you to see fuel routing, stiffen you craft and use "autostruts" which act like invisible EAS4 Strut connectors.  Learning about that changed everything for me.

Again, you may already know about these, but I thought I would post just in case :)

11 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

I tend to build only in stock because that's my thing...but there are a few non-part mods that I think make life better.  If you don't already have them:

Kerbal Engineer

WASD Camera Editor: This allows for a lot more flexibility in the SPH and VAB for maneuvering around your craft with the camera for part placement

and turn on Advanced Tweakables in the setup menu.  This allows you to see fuel routing, stiffen you craft and use "autostruts" which act like invisible EAS4 Strut connectors.  Learning about that changed everything for me.

Again, you may already know about these, but I thought I would post just in case :)

Thanks, I'll try the camera editor though at this point I'm kinda used to stock one. I already used KER many times even in unmodded playthroughs.

20 hours ago, eddiew said:

As above, all the Near Future mods are solid additions, and Editor Extensions is a must-have.

Also consider...

• Kerbal Foundries Continued for wheels that work like wheels and don't flip your rover
  • Space Y for really big rockets
  • RLA Reborn to add some engine/fuel/thruster options at pretty much all stock sizes
  • SXT, MK2 Expansion, and Airplane plus for plane+spaceplane related parts 
  • DeepSky/ThorTech for some overpowered spaceplane related parts

For career mode, I would strongly recommend using Community Tech Tree with these, as it'll give you more depth and make you work a bit harder to unlock the best stuff.

which mod has those cool hub-less wheels you've been using in your rovers lately? Are those Kerbal Foundries?

EDIT: never mind...I found them in Kerbal Foundries  :) 

Edited by Tyko

• 1 month later...

KIS, if the 1 liter installation bug decides to make itself burn in hell for its irrevocable sins to Human, Kerbal and Glitchkind.

In other words, I install mods the same way. I drag it into gamedata and boot up the game. It works all the time, EXCEPT FOR KIS and I loathe it with a primal rage that can melt entire planets.

Edited by Fraston

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.