Kerbal Space Program 1.6.1 and Making History 1.6.1 is live!

UomoCapra

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Accidentally launched "Launcher.exe" and clicked "Mods @ Curse". Curse said "page not found".

If you load the game to the Main Menu screen and click on the "Addons and Mods" button it also takes you to a Curse page that is no longer available. There is a Bug Report about this on the tracker but it obviously just hasn't got around to being fixed yet.

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/20743

1 minute ago, Poodmund said:

If you load the game to the Main Menu screen and click on the "Addons and Mods" button it also takes you to a Curse page that is no longer available. There is a Bug Report about this on the tracker but it obviously just hasn't got around to being fixed yet.

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/20743

Please vote that up of you want it to get fixed.  A +3 vote could see that thing languish in the bugtracker for years.  

17 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Probably the same reason they still include the 32 bit executables after they stopped supporting it.

They don't actually include the 32 bit executable, at least not in the Steam version. I believe, though, that they just don't delete it so it's possible you see it because of that.

I know this because I got a new computer recently and didn't copy anything, just reinstalled from Steam. All it has is ksp_x64 and Launcher.

No clue why it still has Launcher, of course.

Edited by 5thHorseman

No word on this?: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/178960-reentry-modules-are-draggy-uncontrollable-garbage-that-will-flip-a-rocket-90-of-the-time/

Even if they are supposed to be launched inside a fairing, they are disproportionally draggy and unaerodynamic in general.

45 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

They don't actually include the 32 bit executable, at least not in the Steam version. I believe, though, that they just don't delete it so it's possible you see it because of that.

Kinda my point, really.  They stopped supporting the Launcher, but it's still there.  They stopped supporting 32 bit, yet I have 32 bit executables for 1.5.1 and 1.6.0 that both launch the game.

Looks like GoG just released 1.6.1 for Linux, so I might play with that some tonight, since I left my laptop at home again. :(

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I still wonder why they include the launcher, if it's still broken

Perception is reality.

Probably not the best idea to have one of the longest broken pieces of your software up front and center.  They should really get rid of it.

Anyone notice that the KSC doesn't point due East anymore?

According to Kerbal Engineer a craft on the launch pad is sitting at 0.09721 degrees instead of 0.00000.   It's a small annoyance, but easy for @SQUAD to correct. I feel like every couple of updates someone messes with the KSC location and doesn't include enough significant figures to properly define 0.00000 degrees. 

Edited by Tyko

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

Kinda my point, really.  They stopped supporting the Launcher, but it's still there.  They stopped supporting 32 bit, yet I have 32 bit executables for 1.5.1 and 1.6.0 that both launch the game.

I kno it may be OCD... But all those empty, confusing, useless legacy folders in the main install, too :P

2 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

I know it may be OCD... But all those empty, confusing, useless legacy folders in the main install, too :P

You mean the: 

• KSP\Internals,
  • KSP\Parts,
  • KSP\PluginData,
  • KSP\Plugins,
  • KSP\Resourses,
  • KSP\Sounds folders?

You know I always wondered why they still have those folders there too. I only started playing since in KSP 0.90, and as far as I remember even back then they were always empty.

SO How about it Squad? Is it safe to delete these folders?

1 hour ago, BlackHat said:

You mean the: 

• KSP\Internals,
  • KSP\Parts,
  • KSP\PluginData,
  • KSP\Plugins,
  • KSP\Resourses,
  • KSP\Sounds folders?

You know I always wondered why they still have those folders there too. I only started playing since in KSP 0.90, and as far as I remember even back then they were always empty.

SO How about it Squad? Is it safe to delete these folders?

You could always try making a fresh testing install of KSP and seeing what happens when you delete those.

7 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I dont expect any issue, except for the PluginDats, I know of at least one modder who uses that

I mean.  Squad hasn't been afraid of breaking mod compatibility before.  Holding out for one person (Is it one of your hundreds?) seems odd.

3 hours ago, BlackHat said:

You mean the: 

• KSP\Internals,
  • KSP\Parts,
  • KSP\PluginData,
  • KSP\Plugins,
  • KSP\Resourses,
  • KSP\Sounds folders?

Is it safe to delete these folders?

Yes... those...
This is what my install folder looks like after a fresh install, and I delete all the "unecessaries"...

y5kYeSB.png
Unfortunately, when you start KSP for the first time after the delete, it puts the empty folders back :P

but atleast all the broken Launcher garbage is gone ;)

Edited by Stone Blue

3 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

I mean.  Squad hasn't been afraid of breaking mod compatibility before.  Holding out for one person (Is it one of your hundreds?) seems odd.

I don't see what it would be a "holding out", once directories and files are easily created by code. I remember at least one add'on that creates and uses <KSP_ROOT>/Logs to hold logging data.

This is a no issue.

Edited by Lisias
Yeah.Typos. But you already knew it.

9 hours ago, Tyko said:

According to Kerbal Engineer a craft on the launch pad is sitting at 0.09721 degrees instead of 0.00000.   It's a small annoyance, but easy for @SQUAD to correct. I feel like every couple of updates someone messes with the KSC location and doesn't include enough significant figures to properly define 0.00000 degrees. 

I'm a land surveyor. Why do you have to hurt my soul by telling me these things?!?

51 minutes ago, FleshJeb said:

I'm a land surveyor. Why do you have to hurt my soul by telling me these things?!?

As a land surveyor, how often are things at exact latitude lines?

I wish they'd put KSC further from the equator, not closer. Not like 20 degrees or anything but 3-5 would be nice and force you to think about orbital planes a little bit on every launch.

22 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Also, this should be the impetus you need to back up your game every once in a while. Or better, don't play the Steam version and instead play the "backup

Yes, I got out of the habit.  I stayed with 1.2.2 for ... well, however long that's been ... until sometime after 1.5.1 dropped.  And there was LOTS of advance notice re 1.6, so I was ready for that.  But 1.6 seemed mostly stable--few bugs discussed, and the only one that was moderately serious had a simple-enough workaround, and ZERO discussion by staff of any kind of follow-on.  So I figured there wasn't going to be anything for a few months until 1.7...and I got complacent.  Silly me.

14 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Look at any number of state or national borders. Also, keep in mind he was talking about the orientation of the launchpad, not the location. A LOT of things are constructed more tightly than that. 0.09721 degrees is at least 100x the angular error I'd put up with, if I were hired to lay out the site due east-west.

45 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I wish they'd put KSC further from the equator, not closer. Not like 20 degrees or anything but 3-5 would be nice and force you to think about orbital planes a little bit on every launch.

There are many ways to alter your game to make that happen - alternate launch sites, mods, et -, but for the base game 0 degrees makes the most sense. I think about how many discussions there are about rendezvous and docking. At least with KSC on the equator you can tell people to launch due East. If you had to explain plane changes you're just complicating one of the hardest concepts in the game even further. Same reason the Mun is at 0 degrees.

10 hours ago, Tyko said:

Hmm, interesting.  Maybe I need to go take a look at VABReorienter and see whether it needs a tweak to fix this.  :)  Shouldn't be too hard.

#ocd