Which MODS are you using for 0.16?

Xandure

Hi,

I just recently picked up KSP, and had a "blast" with all of the stock parts that are available with the 0.16 version.

My question to everyone is what plug-ins/parts packs are you using for 0.16?

I've seen quite a few of "Let's Play" KSP You-Tube Videos, and loads of people seem to be using the same Mods/Plug-ins.

What i'm really interested in is the ability to launch Satellites, and set up a relay network so I can explore the Mun, and Minmus without any Kerbal casualties.

One more thing, I noticed an Ion Drive of some kind with batteries, and Solar Panels that recharged the batteries. Which Mod Pack is that available on and if so, which pack do you recommend for 0.16?:blush:

Excellent guys, Thank You.

I think these mods should cover it, they're just what I'm looking for.

Just one more thing, what about unmanned pods? Will the Relay network command my rocket, or do I need another mod?

Yes the Relay Network has unmanned pods, so you would have to make a new rocket from scratch. However, to control it you need a rocket already in space with a satellite dish. It is kind of complicated so I recommend reading the whole post, especially under the "which parts are needed for what" spoiler. Also, MechJeb has unmanned pods that do not require anything else like the Relay Network does.

Edited by 2008dragon

Excellent MechJeb will launch my first Satellite.

Should I set up the last stage of the sat and mechjeb to remain in orbit with RCS Thrusters and an Ion Engine? So if I need to make a course correction I can just select that active mission from the Tracking Sat?

Then leave that mission active so my next launch can be an unmanned pod?

Kosmos is awful if you have a slow PC, and it has a lot of redundant parts. NovaSilisko's BACE pack and the Deep Space Mission pack have some handy parts for building space stations and long range missions, if you're interested, and Damned Robotics is a pretty good all-around pack, especially if you want to build really weird contraptions to do stuff like pogo-sticking on the Mun.

Can anyone recommend some nice folding/deployable solar panels for 0.16? I've been digging through the add-ons forum and found some nice stuff so far, but no folding solar panels. I saw a bunch of the great Kosmos ones, but they're not compatible with the current version.

As for mods I'm using, I've been keeping it pretty simple, but one part I'd suggest would be the DJY's "Crew Tank" a 2 meter part that holds 5 kerbals (no control capability AFAIK) and also 400 units of fuel. Looks nice too.

Kosmos has folding solar panels, but as Accelerando said it's punishing to machines.

I also use the C7 flightpack, atleast I think thats what its called. I have a zip named C7FlightPackV2-15 but I now cant find it on this forum (grumble grumble). I can find the experimental version but not the current, maybe I'm being thick, if anyone has that link I'd appreciate it.

crewable (empty) pods is good (but not controllable like a command pod) and I've also been trying out the escape pod which is controllable but I have some (mission ending) glitches with it. (http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/17439-PLUGIN-PART-16-Zoolotac-EscapePod-v1-2/)

Edited by katateochi

The game's fairly new to me, I know even the devs use mods, but I don't know which ones are "officially endorsed" that's what it would take for me to use em. I wouldn't want to use one that isn't balanced, besides I don't mind the limitations of the stock game right now, I'm trying to get rockets that hold together long enough for the moon, let alone launching specialty projects.

*I did get the fuel fix though, I've gotten landers to finally make it TO the moon, but they don't have much fuel afterward..

Carts

Truss Pack

Mechjeb

Orbital Construction

Probododyne

Leucome 3m Nuclear Engine

NovaPunch pack

A few pieces of Kosmos [solar panels, radiators, and mounts for them]

Damned Industries Muon Detector

C7 Flight Pack

KW Rocketry pack

That's probably most of them.

For the longest time I ran vanilla, but I recently added one mod, the Crew Tank mentioned above. It is very nice for rescue missions, and I have plans to launch a number of rescue ships in 100km kerbin orbit as lifeboats for stranded kerbins to make it back down safely.

I only use 4 mods:

Zoxygene mod-Adds life support, recommended.

RemoteTech-Zoxygene mod and this are a great pair, as if you don't feel like making all the life support you can just make a remote control satellite.

Damned Robotics-Just for small stuff, such as rotating a parabolic antenna.

And there's the fourth mod wich is just a fix to the 0.16 fuel bug.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.