[1.12.x] SimpleFuelSwitch v1.4.2: Toggle tanks' fuel type in the editor. Simple and lightweight.

Snark

Just trying to clarify, is the point of this mod mainly to stop a fuel tank from going up with zero oxidizer (in case it isn't necessary) and then flying around with the ability to load oxidizer later? Does it change the mass of the empty tank at all or is that it. My first reaction was to just zero out oxidizer.

35 minutes ago, EvanR said:

Just trying to clarify, is the point of this mod mainly to stop a fuel tank from going up with zero oxidizer (in case it isn't necessary) and then flying around with the ability to load oxidizer later? Does it change the mass of the empty tank at all or is that it.

What it does is to take the fuel tank space that was oxidizer, and fill it with LF instead.  The point is to not have horrible fuel tanks that are less than half as effective as they need to be.

Let's say you have an LFO-powered ship, and it needs 8 tons of LFO to be able to carry out the mission you've chosen.  And your ship is a 2.5m stack.  So you give it a Rockomax X200-16 fuel tank.  That tank contains 8 tons of LFO, and has a total mass of 9 tons, consisting of:

• 3.6 tons of liquid fuel
  • 4.4 tons of oxidizer
  • 1 ton of dead weight (the mass of the tank itself).

Simple, right?

Okay, now let's take a different scenario.  Let's say your ship is powered by an LV-N, so what you really need is just LF, not LF-O.  And let's say your mission is such that you need 8 tons of LF.  Well, in the stock game, there are no good LF-only options for a 2.5m cylindrical stack, which is a problem.  That's the kind of issue that this mod is designed to solve.

So, let's look at what your solution to this problem would look like.  First, without SimpleFuelSwitch (i.e. a stock solution), then with it.

Okay.  Well, in stock, one option you might try is to cobble together something that uses the Mk2 or Mk3 fuselages, or the 1.25m 2-ton LFO tank.  That can work, kinda... but you have a 2.5m stack, remember, and those are all hopelessly wrong shapes.  Ugly, awkward, not aerodynamic, yadda yadda.

"Okay," I hear you say, "then I'll just use an LFO tank and zero out the oxidizer".  Like this:

35 minutes ago, EvanR said:

My first reaction was to just zero out oxidizer.

Right.  So suppose you do that.

You need 8 tons of LF.  You can't use the same 8-ton LFO tank from the example above, because that only holds 3.6 tons of LF, which is nowhere near the 8 tons you need.  So suppose you decide "okay, I'll just use an LFO tank that's twice as big."  So you use a Rockomax X200-32 Fuel Tank with the oxidizer zeroed out.  Let's look at what this gets you:

• 7.2 tons of LF
  • 2 tons of dead weight (the mass of the tank itself)

Now compare that with using SimpleFuelSwitch instead.  With SimpleFuelSwitch, you can use the same 8-ton LFO tank from the above LFO example, but switch it over to be entirely LF instead of LFO.  So what does that get you?

• 8 tons of LF (instead of 3.6 tons LF plus 4.4 tons oxidizer)
  • 1 ton of dead weight (the pass of the tank itself).

And that's why SimpleFuelSwitch is useful.  If you compare the two solutions above-- one of them in stock, one of them with SimpleFuelSwitch-- then the stock version is worse in every single way:

• It only holds 7.2 tons of LF instead of 8 tons.
  • It has twice as much dead weight (2t instead of 1t), which will affect your dV
  • It's bigger and bulkier, making your rocket twice as tall as it needs to be.  I dunno about you, but I like my rockets compact, and not like big empty balloons.

In short:  Yes, you can build your rocket without SimpleFuelSwitch, by just using a stock tank that's twice as big as it should be and then zeroing out the oxidizer.  But that's (IMO) unfairly penalizing you for making the design choice of going with LF instead of LFO.  In my world, a tank with a certain dry mass that can hold a certain mass of LF+O should be able to hold an equivalent mass of LF-only.

I don't like that, which is why I wrote the mod.  :)

If it doesn't bother you and you're happy with stock tanks with zeroed oxidizer-- with twice the dead weight and less fuel storage-- there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, and it would mean you wouldn't need SimpleFuelSwitch.

Hi all,

Just a note that I've released SimpleFuelSwitch v1.3.1.

No new features, just a bug fix for KSP 1.7.1 compatibility.  (The bug is that if you're in the editor and toggle the fuel type back and forth, it spams duplicate sliders. They aren't "real" and it's just cosmetic, but it's ugly-looking.) 

Note that this has version compatibility implications:

• If you're running KSP 1.7.1 or later, you need SimpleFuelSwitch 1.3.1 (or any later versions that come out.)  If you're running anything older than SFS 1.3.1, the bug will be there.
  • If you're running KSP 1.7.0 or earlier, you cannot run SimpleFuelSwitch 1.3.1 (or any later versions that come out); it's incompatible.  Stick with SFS 1.3.

Thanks to @Tonka Crash for reporting the bug!

• 2 weeks later...

@Snark thank you for this mod.

activated the TerrierPartVarient patch and ModuleManager said this:

Spoiler

[LOG 2019-06-12 14:00:48.834] :AFTER[SIMPLEFUELSWITCH] pass
[LOG 2019-06-12 14:00:48.834] Applying update SGEx/SFS-ResourceDisplayFormatExample/@SimpleFuelSwitch:AFTER[SimpleFuelSwitch] to SimpleFuelSwitch/configs/SimpleFuelSwitch.cfg/SimpleFuelSwitch
[LOG 2019-06-12 14:00:48.834] Applying update SGEx/SFS-TerrierPartVariant/@PART[liquidEngine3_v2]:AFTER[SimpleFuelSwitch] to Squad/Parts/Engine/liquidEngineLV-909_v2/liquidEngineLV-909_v2.cfg/PART
[ERR 2019-06-12 14:00:48.834] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key displayName = #$../MODULE[ModulePartVariants]/VARIANT[Shroud]/displayName$

displayName = LFO // #$/MODULE[ModulePartVariants]/VARIANT[Shroud]/displayName$

fixes it, but rather prefer the dynamic style of original patch.

Also: is there a simple way to expand that patch to all engines with shroud varients and base the amount added by part mass - only if there is no LF/LFO present? (and how)

@Snark Can this mod be used to switch resources other than LF and Oxidizer?

Like Ore to Metal and Rocket parts.

Shouldn't this work?

Spoiler

// Simple Construction, metal and rocket parts switch for small ore tank.
@PART[SmallTank]:FOR[SimpleFuelSwitch]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleSimpleFuelSwitch
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleSwitchableResources
        resourcesId = Ore_only
        displayName = #SimpleFuelSwitch_Ore
        selectorFieldName = #SimpleFuelSwitch_fuelTypeLabel
        isDefault = true
        RESOURCE
        {
            name = Ore
            amount = 0
            maxAmount = 300
        }
    }

MODULE
    {
        resourcesId = Metal_RocketParts
        displayName = #SimpleFuelSwitch_MetalandRocketParts
        selectorFieldName = #SimpleFuelSwitch_fuelTypeLabel
        RESOURCE
        {
            name = Metal
            amount = 0
            maxAmount = 300
        }
        RESOURCE
        {
            name = RocketParts
            amount = 0
            maxAmount = 300
        }
    }

-RESOURCE[Ore] {}
    -RESOURCE[Metal] {}
    -RESOURCE[RocketParts] {}
}

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Edited by TheKurgan

Here is the working config, I'll post it in the Simple Construction thread too.

Spoiler

// Simple Construction, metal and rocket parts switch for small ore tank.
@PART[SmallTank]:FOR[SimpleFuelSwitch]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleSimpleFuelSwitch
    }

MODULE
    {
        resourcesId = Ore_only
        displayName = Ore
        selectorFieldName = Ore
        isDefault = true
        RESOURCE
        {
            name = Ore
            amount = 0
            maxAmount = 300
        }
    }

MODULE
    {
        resourcesId = Metal_RocketParts
        displayName = Metal and RocketParts
        selectorFieldName = Metal and RocketParts
        RESOURCE
        {
            name = Metal
            amount = 0
            maxAmount = 300
        }
        RESOURCE
        {
            name = RocketParts
            amount = 0
            maxAmount = 300
        }
    }

-RESOURCE[Ore] {}
    -RESOURCE[Metal] {}
    -RESOURCE[RocketParts] {}
}

• 2 weeks later...

Great mod, I wish I had discovered it before. Now I have to renew my fleet :cool:

Small bug with the Mk1 Liquid Fuel Fuselage. When I tried to load an old ship with a Mk1  tank in the VAB, I have a message telling me that the MK1 part is missing. Not a big deal because I'm still able to open the ship (but I cannot switch the resource in the old MK1 tank, I don't have any problem with the FL-T400 equivalent).

I use the latest version of both KSP and SimpleFuelSwitch.

On 6/27/2019 at 4:17 AM, Angleton said:

Great mod, I wish I had discovered it before. Now I have to renew my fleet :cool:

Small bug with the Mk1 Liquid Fuel Fuselage. When I tried to load an old ship with a Mk1  tank in the VAB, I have a message telling me that the MK1 part is missing. Not a big deal because I'm still able to open the ship (but I cannot switch the resource in the old MK1 tank, I don't have any problem with the FL-T400 equivalent).

I use the latest version of both KSP and SimpleFuelSwitch.

I think that's 'by design'. SFS hides several parts and applies their texture to an equivalent part. I have a personal patch that makes it available again (because the Mk1 skin isn't on the FLT-400), if you want that too (and have ModuleManager installed), place the following in a text editor, save it to your gamedate folder with a .cfg extension.

@PART[MK1Fuselage]:BEFORE[SimpleFuelSwitch]
{
	oldcategory = #$category$
	oldTechRequired = #$TechRequired$
}

@PART[MK1Fuselage]:AFTER[SimpleFuelSwitch]
{
	!TechHidden = dummy
	@category = #$oldcategory$
	@TechRequired = #$oldTechRequired$
	!oldcategory = dummy
	!oldTechRequired = dummy
}

Complexity is due to running modded techtrees and I didn't feel like checking where the part's supposed to go in them, so now it's automatic.

===================================

Personal question: Is it possible to have the fuel displayed in tonnes for other tanks LF/O tanks? There's quite a few tanks from mods in my parts list and it trips me up that they don't have the tonnage shown. I thought about just 'broadening' the cfg that applies the SFS module to parts, but I don't know if the .dll would freak out if I did that to tanks that I don't need the switching for, just the tonnage shown.

Edited by Jognt
fixed a thing

Thanks @Jognt. Your code solve the problem.

@Snark, in the VAB, despite the message telling me that the MK1 part is missing I can open old ship built with MK1, but I cannot launch them (I have a message telling me the part is not available). No problem with my  MK1 ships already in orbit.

Great mod anyway.

Just now, Angleton said:

Thanks @Jognt. Your code solve the problem.

@Snark, in the VAB, despite the message telling me that the MK1 part is missing I can open old ship built with MK1, but I cannot launch them (I have a message telling me the part is not available). No problem with my  MK1 ships already in orbit.

Great mod anyway.

The stock flt-400 has a texture that looks a lot like the Mk1 fuselage, the ‘lack’ of such a tank is only obvious if you run ReStock (which lacks such a texture) or if you’ve got a very keen eye for detail :) 

You shouldn’t be seeing any ‘locked part’ messages anymore if you’re using that MM CFG above though. 

• 1 month later...

Is this mod responsible for causing

[LOG 2019-08-01 17:33:53.356] Applying update SimpleFuelSwitch/configs/Add_LFO_to_LF_tanks/@PART[miniFuselage|noseConeAdapter|wingShuttleDelta|mk2FuselageShortLiquid|mk2Fuselage|mk3FuselageLF_25|mk3FuselageLF_50|mk3FuselageLF_100]:FOR[SimpleFuelSwitch] to Squad/Parts/Aero/cones/noseConeAdapter.cfg/PART
[ERR 2019-08-01 17:33:53.356] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key amount = #$/RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/amount$
[ERR 2019-08-01 17:33:53.356] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key maxAmount = #$/RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$
[ERR 2019-08-01 17:33:53.356] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key amount = #$/RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/amount$
[ERR 2019-08-01 17:33:53.356] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key maxAmount = #$/RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$
[LOG 2019-08-01 17:33:53.356] Applying update SimpleFuelSwitch/configs/Add_LFO_to_LF_tanks/@PART[miniFuselage|noseConeAdapter|wingShuttleDelta|mk2FuselageShortLiquid|mk2Fuselage|mk3FuselageLF_25|mk3FuselageLF_50|mk3FuselageLF_100]:FOR[SimpleFuelSwitch] to Squad/Parts/Aero/shuttleWings/delta.cfg/PART
[LOG 2019-08-01 17:33:53.430] Applying update SimpleFuelSwitch/configs/Add_LFO_to_LF_tanks/@PART[miniFuselage|noseConeAdapter|wingShuttleDelta|mk2FuselageShortLiquid|mk2Fuselage|mk3FuselageLF_25|mk3FuselageLF_50|mk3FuselageLF_100]:FOR[SimpleFuelSwitch] to Squad/Parts/FuelTank/miniFuselage/miniFuselage.cfg/PART
[ERR 2019-08-01 17:33:53.430] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key amount = #$/RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/amount$
[ERR 2019-08-01 17:33:53.430] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key maxAmount = #$/RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$
[ERR 2019-08-01 17:33:53.430] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key amount = #$/RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/amount$
[ERR 2019-08-01 17:33:53.430] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key maxAmount = #$/RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$
[LOG 2019-08-01 17:33:53.430] Applying update SimpleFuelSwitch/configs/Add_LFO_to_LF_tanks/@PART[miniFuselage|noseConeAdapter|wingShuttleDelta|mk2FuselageShortLiquid|mk2Fuselage|mk3FuselageLF_25|mk3FuselageLF_50|mk3FuselageLF_100]:FOR[SimpleFuelSwitch] to Squad/Parts/FuelTank/mk2FuselageLong/L_long.cfg/PART
[LOG 2019-08-01 17:33:53.431] Applying update SimpleFuelSwitch/configs/Add_LFO_to_LF_tanks/@PART[miniFuselage|noseConeAdapter|wingShuttleDelta|mk2FuselageShortLiquid|mk2Fuselage|mk3FuselageLF_25|mk3FuselageLF_50|mk3FuselageLF_100]:FOR[SimpleFuelSwitch] to Squad/Parts/FuelTank/mk2FuselageShort/L_short.cfg/PART
[ERR 2019-08-01 17:33:53.431] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key amount = #$/RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/amount$
[ERR 2019-08-01 17:33:53.431] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key maxAmount = #$/RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$
[ERR 2019-08-01 17:33:53.431] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key amount = #$/RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/amount$
[ERR 2019-08-01 17:33:53.431] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key maxAmount = #$/RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$
[LOG 2019-08-01 17:33:53.431] Applying update SimpleFuelSwitch/configs/Add_LFO_to_LF_tanks/@PART[miniFuselage|noseConeAdapter|wingShuttleDelta|mk2FuselageShortLiquid|mk2Fuselage|mk3FuselageLF_25|mk3FuselageLF_50|mk3FuselageLF_100]:FOR[SimpleFuelSwitch] to Squad/Parts/FuelTank/mk3Fuselage/LF_100.cfg/PART
[LOG 2019-08-01 17:33:53.431] Applying update SimpleFuelSwitch/configs/Add_LFO_to_LF_tanks/@PART[miniFuselage|noseConeAdapter|wingShuttleDelta|mk2FuselageShortLiquid|mk2Fuselage|mk3FuselageLF_25|mk3FuselageLF_50|mk3FuselageLF_100]:FOR[SimpleFuelSwitch] to Squad/Parts/FuelTank/mk3Fuselage/LF_25.cfg/PART
[LOG 2019-08-01 17:33:53.431] Applying update SimpleFuelSwitch/configs/Add_LFO_to_LF_tanks/@PART[miniFuselage|noseConeAdapter|wingShuttleDelta|mk2FuselageShortLiquid|mk2Fuselage|mk3FuselageLF_25|mk3FuselageLF_50|mk3FuselageLF_100]:FOR[SimpleFuelSwitch] to Squad/Parts/FuelTank/mk3Fuselage/LF_50.cfg/PART
[ERR 2019-08-01 17:33:53.432] Error - Cannot parse variable search when inserting new key maxAmount = #$/RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$

:

10 hours ago, traisjames said:

:

Hard to say without the complete log. That type of error usually happens when mods interact with each other in a way that makes the patching process trip over itself. 

17 hours ago, traisjames said:

Well, yes and no.

Yes, in the sense that those are indeed errors relating to the config files from this mod.

No, in the sense that SimpleFuelSwitch works just fine for most folks, so it's just broken for you-- which means there's something about your local installation that's giving SimpleFuelSwitch a tummy-ache.  My guess would be that it's some mod interaction, but that's just a guess.  In any case there's not much I can do about it from this end, since it works just fine for me and there's no way for anyone other than you to know what's going on with your local install.

First off the bat:  what version of ModuleManager are you running?  (I suspect you're fine, here, just a sanity check to make sure you're not running some old version.)

Assuming that your MM is up to date (version 4.0.2, which is what's installed with SFS), then I'd guess it's some interaction with some other mod on your system that tinkers with fuel tanks in some way.  What other mods are you running that touch fuel tanks?

22 minutes ago, Snark said:

Well, yes and no.

Yes, in the sense that those are indeed errors relating to the config files from this mod.

No, in the sense that SimpleFuelSwitch works just fine for most folks, so it's just broken for you-- which means there's something about your local installation that's giving SimpleFuelSwitch a tummy-ache.  My guess would be that it's some mod interaction, but that's just a guess.  In any case there's not much I can do about it from this end, since it works just fine for me and there's no way for anyone other than you to know what's going on with your local install.

First off the bat:  what version of ModuleManager are you running?  (I suspect you're fine, here, just a sanity check to make sure you're not running some old version.)

Assuming that your MM is up to date (version 4.0.2, which is what's installed with SFS), then I'd guess it's some interaction with some other mod on your system that tinkers with fuel tanks in some way.  What other mods are you running that touch fuel tanks?

Yep, 4.0.2

Installed mods:

Spoiler

KSP: 1.7.3 (Unix) - Unity: 2017.1.3p1 - OS: Mac OS X 10.14.5
000_AT_Utils - 1.8.1
ClickThroughBlocker - 0.1.7.2
Filter Extensions - 3.2.3.2
TexturesUnlimited - 1.4.8.22
USI Tools - 1.1
ToolbarControl - 0.1.8.2
CommunityPartsTitles - 0.4.4
AECS_Motion_Suppressor - 1.3.1.1
Advanced Jet Engine - 2.13
AirlockPlus - 0.0.11
AllYAllContinued - 0.11.17.3
Antenna Helper - 1.0.6
Astrogator - 0.9.2
AtmosphereAutopilot - 1.5.15
AugmentedReality - 0.2.1.7
Aviation Lights - 4.0.8
B9 Part Switch - 2.9
B9 Aerospace Procedural Parts Modified - 0.3.2
Mk.X-37B - 0.0.2
BetterSRBs - 1.0.10
BetterTimeWarpContinued - 2.3.11.4
Bon Voyage - 0.14.8
Community Terrain Texture Pack - 1.0.4
CommNetAntennasExtension - 2.0.1
CommNetAntennasInfo - 2.1
Community Category Kit - 4.1
Community Resource Pack - 1.1
CommunityTechTree - 3.3.7
Community Trait Icons - 1.1.1
ConfigurableContainers - 2.4.6
ConstantTWR - 0.0.4.4
Contract Configurator - 1.27.1
Contract Pack: Clever Sats - 1.4
Contract Pack: Bases and Stations - 3.7.1.5
Contract Pack: Tourism Plus - 1.5.2
CorrectCOL - 1.6.4.4
CrewRandR - 1.1.9.2
CriticalTemperatureGauge - 1.7.0.1
Custom Asteroids - 1.7
DMagic Orbital Science - 1.4.2
CapCom Mission Control On The Go - 1.0.2.10
Contract Parser - 1.0.8
Progress Parser - 1.0.10
DatedQuickSaves - 1.2.3.5
DSCore - 3.0.8
Airline Kuisine - 2.3
DeployableEngines - 1.1
AGExt - 2.3.5
RCSLandAid - 3.3.2
DistantObjectEnhancement - 1.9.1
DockRotate - 1.7.0.38
DockingCamKURS - 1.3.5
DynamicBatteryStorage - 2.0.4
EVAEnhancementsContinued - 0.1.14.1
EVA Struts - 1.0.5
EVA Transfer - 1.0.8.1
Easy Vessel Switch - 1.11.7052.36539
ExperimentTracker - 1.3.4.6
ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads - 6.6.1
FMRS (Flight Manager For Reusable Stages) - 1.2.7.4
FShangarExtender - 3.5.3.5
FillItUp - 0.1.4
Firespitter - 7.12
Flexible Docking - 1.0.6
GPOSpeedFuelPump - 1.8.18
GroundConstruction - 2.4.1
Hangar - 3.3.6.1
HeatControl - 0.4.12
HideEmptyTechTreeNodes - 1.1.1
HullcamVDSContinued - 0.1.13
Interstellar Fuel Switch - 3.8.8.4
JanitorsCloset - 0.3.6
KAS - 1.4.7097.36908
Kerbin Environmental Institute - 1.2.9.10
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.22.7090.200
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.3.1
KSPRescuePodFix - 1.6.4.14
KSPWheel - 0.15.13.32
Camera Mode Persistence - 1.0.6
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.6
Kerbal Flight Indicators - 17.0
Kerbal Foundries - 2.3.7.17
KerbalGPS - 1.1.0.14
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 4.0.13
WaterLaunchSites - 0.9.1
Kerbalism - 3.0.2
HyperEdit - 1.5.8
InlineBallutes - 1.2.9.8
<b><color=#CA7B3C>Kopernicus</color></b> - 1.7.3.1
KramaxAutoPilotContinued - 0.3.6.2
MagiCore - 1.3.1.6
Infernal Robotics - 3.0
MandatoryRCS Part Pack - 1.3
MarkIVSystem - 3.0.4
MechJebForAll - 1.3.0.6
ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.2.6
MunarIndustries Fuel Tank Expansion - 0.9.6.3
EVAHandrailsPackContinued - 0.2.2
NavBallDockingAlignmentIndicatorCE - 1.0.5
NavHud - 1.3.7
Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.8.3
NearFutureAeronautics - 1.0.4
NearFutureConstruction - 1.1.2
NearFutureLaunchVehicles - 1.2
NearFutureProps - 0.5.1
NearFutureSolar - 1.0.3
NearFutureSpacecraft - 1.2.4
S.A.V.E - 1.7.0.3154
OuterPlanetsMod - 2.2.5
One Window - 1.0.3
PAWS - 1.2
PWBFuelBalancerRestored - 0.1.5.10
Parking Brake - 0.1.1
PatchManager - 0.0.16.4
Photon Sailor - 1.4.7.4
PhysicsRangeExtender - 1.15
Kerbal Planetary Base Systems - 1.6.9
Portrait Stats - 1.0.17
Precise Maneuver - 2.4.2
Precise Node - 1.2.10.3
Procedural Fairings - 1.6.1
Procedural Fairings - For Everything! - 0.3
Procedural Parts - 1.3.18
QuantumStrutsContinued - 1.7.4.1
QuickBrake - 1.3.4.2
QuickFineControl - 1.0.7.2
QuickRevert - 3.1.4.2
QuickStart - 2.1.6.2
RCS Build Aid - 0.9.7.6
AmpYear - 1.5.5
ResearchBodies - 1.10
RemoteTech-StockConfigs - 1.0.1
Mk2.5 Spaceplane Parts - 1.5.1
ReStock - 0.1.4
ReStockPlus - 0.1.4
Recovery Controller - 0.0.3.7
RemoteTechRedevAntennas - 0.1.1
ResonantOrbitCalculator - 0.0.5.1
RetractableLiftingSurface - 0.1.6
SCANsat - 1.1.8.11
SafeBrakes - 1.1
ScienceAlert - 1.9.6.2
ScienceLabInfo - 0.9.5
SituationModuleInfo - 1.3.3.2
KerbalSlingShotter - 1.1.7.1
SmartParts - 1.9.13.7
SmartTank - 0.3
SolverEngines - 3.7.3
Space Age - 1.1
SpeedUnitAnnex - 1.3.5
MicroSat - 0.1.2.8
StageRecovery - 1.9.1
StationKeeping - 0.2.1.1
StationPartsExpansionRedux - 1.2.1
StockPlugins - 1.2.3
Surface Mounted Lights - 1.13.7052.37376
TRP-Hire - 0.6.9.4
ThrottleControlledAvionics - 3.5.7
ThrottleLimitExtended - 2.0.7.2
ThroughTheEyes - 2.0.2.5
TAC Life Support - 0.13.12
TooManyOrbits - 1.1.4
Trajectories - 2.2.3
Flat-Bottom Shuttle Systems - 1.0.6
Alternate Resource Panel - 2.9.3
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.10
TrimIndicators - 0.0.1
TweakScale - 2.4.3.1
UbioWeldingLtd-Continued - 2.5.3
USI Core - 1.1
USI Exploration Pack - 1.1
Freight Transport Tech - 1.1
Karbonite - 1.1
Malemute Rover - 1.1
NuclearRockets - 1.1
Sounding Rockets - 1.1
Universal Storage 2 - 1.7.0.10
KSP Interstellar Extended - 1.21.3.4
Waypoint Manager - 2.7.5
Kerbal Actuators - 1.7.1
Kerbal Komets - 0.6.2
World Stabilizer - 0.9.4
Wwwwwwwww - 1.1.3.5
ZeroMiniAVC - 1.0.6
[x] Science! - 5.22
kOS - 1.1.9
AdvancedFlyByWire - 1.8.2.1
Notes - 0.14.2.1

22 minutes ago, traisjames said:

Installed mods: 

Thanks, but your full mod list isn't actually helpful to me, since of course I haven't the faintest clue what most of your mods do, technically, because I didn't write them and don't use them myself.

That gigantic list does make it overwhelmingly likely, though, that it is indeed a mod interaction with something in there.

So, what you need to do is to establish which mod you've installed is incompatible with SimpleFuelSwitch. Once you've done that, then it'll be clearer what a solution might be.

Let us know what you find out! :)

Just now, Snark said:

Thanks, but your full mod list isn't actually helpful to me, since of course I haven't the faintest clue what most of your mods do, technically, because I didn't write them and don't use them myself.

That gigantic list does make it overwhelmingly likely, though, that it is indeed a mod interaction with something in there.

So, what you need to do is to establish which mod you've installed is incompatible with SimpleFuelSwitch. Once you've done that, then it'll be clearer what a solution might be.

Let us know what you find out! :)

Any way to figure that out besides removing 1/2 of mods and repete going back and forth until the solution is found?

6 minutes ago, traisjames said:

Any way to figure that out besides removing 1/2 of mods and repete going back and forth until the solution is found?

Nope, that's pretty much it.

Of course, you can leverage your knowledge. Unlike me, you know what all the mods you've installed actually do-- at the very least, I expect you'll have somewhat of a clue which of them may be tinkering with resources in stock fuel tanks. So that may help you narrow it down more quickly.

If you're a dab hand with scripting tools like perl or whatever, you could always grep your GameData tree for MM-enabled .cfg files that contain the string "RESOURCE", or something like that, I suppose, which might help give some idea.

But yeah, short of something clever, Ye Olde Binary Search process-of-elimination is basically it.

Actually, the Output.log notes what patches are applied to what and when. So you could open it up and do a search for “noseConeAdapter.cfg“ and anything that touches it before SFS is a likely culprit. It should narrow down the list quite a bit. 

@traisjames

1 hour ago, Jognt said:

Actually, the Output.log notes what patches are applied to what and when. So you could open it up and do a search for “noseConeAdapter.cfg“ and anything that touches it before SFS is a likely culprit. It should narrow down the list quite a bit. 

@traisjames

What is the file location of output.log?

1 minute ago, traisjames said:

What is the file location of output.log?

Scroll down a bit to the “the logs” section. 

Alternatively there may be a ModuleManager log in the KSP/logs dir. but I’m not 100% sure. 

1 hour ago, Jognt said:

Scroll down a bit to the “the logs” section. 

Alternatively there may be a ModuleManager log in the KSP/logs dir. but I’m not 100% sure. 

Oh, that log file.  I play on a mac so its player.log.

Here is all lines upto and including SFS that mention noseConeAdapter.cfg.

Spoiler

Line: 157875: [LOG 2019-08-02 11:43:44.553] Applying update ConfigurableContainers/Parts/Squad_Patch/@PART[noseConeAdapter]:HAS[!MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch],!MODULE[FSfuelSwitch],!MODULE[ModuleB9PartSwitch]]:NEEDS[!modularFuelTanks&!RealFuels] to Squad/Parts/Aero/cones/noseConeAdapter.cfg/PART
Line: 159841: [LOG 2019-08-02 11:43:47.375] Applying update CriticalTemperatureGauge/Plugins/CriticalTemperatureGauge/@PART[*] to Squad/Parts/Aero/cones/noseConeAdapter.cfg/PART
Line: 163405: [LOG 2019-08-02 11:43:51.805] Applying update Diazo/AGExt/part/@PART[*] to Squad/Parts/Aero/cones/noseConeAdapter.cfg/PART
Line: 166590: [LOG 2019-08-02 11:43:53.031] Applying update FMRS/FMRS_MM/@PART[*] to Squad/Parts/Aero/cones/noseConeAdapter.cfg/PART
Line: 171708: [LOG 2019-08-02 11:44:37.466] Applying update PAWS/ModulePAWS/@PART[*] to Squad/Parts/Aero/cones/noseConeAdapter.cfg/PART
Line: 175703: [LOG 2019-08-02 11:44:41.629] Applying update REPOSoftTech/AmpYear/MMConfigAmpYear/@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[KerbalEVA],!MODULE[FlagSite]]:NEEDS[AmpYear] to Squad/Parts/Aero/cones/noseConeAdapter.cfg/PART
Line: 179071: [LOG 2019-08-02 11:44:48.651] Applying update RecoveryController/RecoveryController_MM/@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleAnchoredDecoupler],!MODULE[ModuleDecouple]]:NEEDS[StageRecovery] to Squad/Parts/Aero/cones/noseConeAdapter.cfg/PART
Line: 181359: [LOG 2019-08-02 11:46:29.804] Applying update TweakScale/patches/Squad/Squad_Structural/@PART[noseConeAdapter] to Squad/Parts/Aero/cones/noseConeAdapter.cfg/PART
Line: 193392: [LOG 2019-08-02 11:48:41.976] Applying update kOS/kOS-module-manager/@PART[*]:FOR[kOS] to Squad/Parts/Aero/cones/noseConeAdapter.cfg/PART
Line: 195732: [LOG 2019-08-02 11:49:12.087] Applying update SimpleFuelSwitch/configs/Add_LFO_to_LF_tanks/@PART[miniFuselage|noseConeAdapter|wingShuttleDelta|mk2FuselageShortLiquid|mk2Fuselage|mk3FuselageLF_25|mk3FuselageLF_50|mk3FuselageLF_100]:FOR[SimpleFuelSwitch] to Squad/Parts/Aero/cones/noseConeAdapter.cfg/PART

I uploaded the log file to https://github.com/traisjames/Logfiles/blob/master/Player.log 02082019 1613.zip

28 minutes ago, traisjames said:

Configurable Containers replaces the stock resources with a custom module, so Simple Fuel Switch cannot find any stock resources on these parts anymore.  Since Configurable Containers allows you to switch between different fuels, you don't actually need Simple Fuel Switch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.