DDE

“The asteroid mining bubble has burst”

“Bringing deep space capabilities into the ConsenSys ecosystem reflects our belief in the potential for Ethereum to help humanity craft new societal rule systems through automated trust and guaranteed execution,” said Lubin.

I see, says i.

Mr. Crusher, set a course ! Engage !

:-)

Edit: I mean, was asteroid mining ever really in "danger" of becoming a bubble at all ? There is nothing more than more or less realistic proposals of going there and doing what with unclear resources.

Edited by Green Baron
  • Like 1

Spoiler

The offline muggles may mine asteroids or not mine, but we already have Hangars, KSPI-E, USI, and WBI for that, so nobody can stop us from that.

Spoiler

The unborn beltalowda feel unhappy.
(Нерождённые Белталода нигодуэ).

Was there ever a bubble?

I personally think their plan was just putting the cart a bit before the horse. Asteroid mining will be worth trillions, but only after nearly nothing has to be launched to space for each ton of material mined. I don't think that profitable asteroid mining requires in-space manufacturing, since returning material to earth isn't a big technical challenge, but I do think that producing propellant in space (or some way of getting propellant to space without using big expensive rockets, even reusable ones) is required. And selling propellant in deep space right now seems like selling water in the middle of the Sahara desert - it's the most valuable thing out there, but you're still not going to make any money. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Was there ever a bubble?

Well, six years ago there were two independent companies hoping to mine asteroids, and now there are zero, with one folding into a more conventional space company and the other joining a goofy crypto-scam outfit. I think it's fair to characterize the situation in 2013 as an overallocation of resources in anticipation of developments that didn't materialize on schedule.

It's generally agreed that there was an "internet bubble" in the late 1990s, even though that market segment went on to be one of the most influential and highly valued of all time. To date we have yet to process Ton #1 of asteroid ore.

3 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Well, six years ago there were two independent companies hoping to mine asteroids, and now there are zero, with one folding into a more conventional space company and the other joining a goofy crypto-scam outfit. I think it's fair to characterize the situation in 2013 as an overallocation of resources in anticipation of developments that didn't materialize on schedule.

It's generally agreed that there was an "internet bubble" in the late 1990s, even though that market segment went on to be one of the most influential and highly valued of all time. To date we have yet to process Ton #1 of asteroid ore.

True. "bubble" is a pretty loose term too.